Typhon High-speed bearing support Typhon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex206

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I have both the granite and Typhon 3s blx. I have hot racing motor mounts in both trucks I have noticed that my granite free rolls much better smoother than the Typhon when I let off throttle or if I push both of them along the floor with motor off. I noticed when I took driveshaft bearing off the plastic under where bearing sits is cutting a groove into driveshaft or melting it.The bearing is in good shape. I'm not sure if anyone else is experiencing this with the longer center driveshaft vehicles.

I wonder if there is too much flex or the driveshaft is not perfectly straight through the bearing. Maybe not worth running the bearing.

I am going to go check mine right now, I noticed that my Typhon rolled and sounded rougher than my Granites or my sons Senton.

I took the bearing off both the Senton & Typhon. This driveshaft needs to flex. In extreme situations it can pop off, but that actually saves it. The chassis can flex & if the driveshaft doesn't flex with it, it can snap. If the bearing is melting the shaft that means the the shaft is moving so much that it is causing friction with the bearing.

Ok Im gonna order a second driveshaft maybe mine is tweaked a bit. I tried running without the bearing there just seemed like there was way to much play in it to run like that. Thanks for the input.

I do not see any problems with my driveshaft currently. I have noticed that if your not careful when installing the drive shaft the bearing could get stuck on the wrong side of the bearing support.

I have both the granite and Typhon 3s blx. I have hot racing motor mounts in both trucks I have noticed that my granite free rolls much better smoother than the Typhon when I let off throttle or if I push both of them along the floor with motor off. I noticed when I took driveshaft bearing off the plastic under where bearing sits is cutting a groove into driveshaft or melting it.The bearing is in good shape. I'm not sure if anyone else is experiencing this with the longer center driveshaft vehicles.
how did you manage to remove the bearing from the center drive shaft? doesn't seem to go anywhere with those bumps on every side..

Center bearing needs to be there with the amount of slop in the spline.. without it will cause vibration like mad.. to the point where if you were jumping it and throttling up for a backflip it will sound like a blown tire.. that much vibration in the shaft will kill everything, shaft, pinion bearings, spur carrier bearings in repeated fashion...

If the bearing Is eating a groove in the shaft it is at some rpm binding and causing the shaft to spin in a race that's sitting still.. clean and lube, or replace that bearing.. as stated above a rubber o-ring slides off and the bearing can be removed...

From the factory the bearing to shaft o.d fit is less than perfect... this can be cured with a small strip of clear tape cut to length so it fits end to end over the shaft.. (no overlaps).. I will typically cut the width of the tape the same as the width of the bearing so it cant be seen.. this will be just enough to get the proper fit on the shaft..(more of a proper press fit) in the end the shaft will run more true with less vibration..

?

I think it depends if you have grease or oil in the bearings my car started running rly smoothly since i started to use bearing oil
Center bearing needs to be there with the amount of slop in the spline.. without it will cause vibration like mad.. to the point where if you were jumping it and throttling up for a backflip it will sound like a blown tire.. that much vibration in the shaft will kill everything, shaft, pinion bearings, spur carrier bearings in repeated fashion...

If the bearing Is eating a groove in the shaft it is at some rpm binding and causing the shaft to spin in a race that's sitting still.. clean and lube, or replace that bearing.. as stated above a rubber o-ring slides off and the bearing can be removed...

From the factory the bearing to shaft o.d fit is less than perfect... this can be cured with a small strip of clear tape cut to length so it fits end to end over the shaft.. (no overlaps).. I will typically cut the width of the tape the same as the width of the bearing so it cant be seen.. this will be just enough to get the proper fit on the shaft..(more of a proper press fit) in the end the shaft will run more true with less vibration..

?
It might also damage your front diff sun gear by deforming the plastic where the second bearing sits or the yoke. But in the granite the chassi is not long enough so they don't use it but it'f you want to put a bearing its fine i think but the typhon is much longer and needs that bearing

I think it depends if you have grease or oil in the bearings my car started running rly smoothly since i started to use bearing oil

It might also damage your front diff sun gear by deforming the plastic where the second bearing sits or the yoke. But in the granite the chassi is not long enough so they don't use it but it'f you want to put a bearing its fine i think but the typhon is much longer and needs that bearing

Yes correct.. he was asking about the typhon... hence my reply

I hate these centre supports! Second one broken today and all I did was take the drive shaft out ?

i broke them twice once i lost half of it did not glued them togueter well so i had to buy a new one broke one half a few weeks ago but fixed it. Superglue the broken parts then i shoe goe them to the sides so if they ever break again the shoegoe will hold them but most likely it will never ever separate again until i pull it off shoe goe i use it for almost everything minus bodies now because it pull the paint off with dry wall tape

I 3d printed some in PETG and they are way more durable.

im still running the carbon pla ones.. ?? even the pla is stronger than the original i think.. ? ✌

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back