Fireteam Hobbystar 4292 and a Max6, what KV and pinion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longhaulrc

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton 6s
  7. Mojave
  8. Outcast 8s
  9. Senton 3s
  10. Typhon 3s
  11. Typhon 6s
  12. Vendetta
  13. Vorteks
Huge fan of the FT, I like it so much I'd like to upgrade the elecs and put the stock gear in a roller Typhon I bought. I want to get the hobbystar motor, but I'm wondering what KV and pinion everyone would recommend?

I put a Max 6 with the Hobbystar 4092 motor in mine, 1480kv motor and i run a 22t pinion with 42t spur. Plenty of power and speed!
The newer 4292 motor comes in a 1500kv version, that would be a good option.
Is that the factory spur size? I'm not at home now, but I will be in about 5 days, I'm trying to get parts ordered so when I get home I can just R/C it up the whole time

Either the 1500kv or 1780kv version should be fine. You can correct for either with the right gearing.

We can’t really give you gearing advice without understanding your speed goals or how you drive. You’re better off doing the calculations yourself.

I use the iOS app called Gear Speed. You can also use the website below:

https://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

4092 1730KV, with a 20 tooth pinion is perfect, in my opinion.

Screenshot_20230505_161505_Gallery.jpg

Either the 1500kv or 1780kv version should be fine. You can correct for either with the right gearing.

We can’t really give you gearing advice without understanding your speed goals or how you drive. You’re better off doing the calculations yourself.

I use the iOS app called Gear Speed. You can also use the website below:

https://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html
Is there an app for us inferior android users?
4092 1730KV, with a 20 tooth pinion is perfect, in my opinion.

View attachment 297597
How's she run vs stock ?

Is there an app for us inferior android users?

How's she run vs stock ?
There’s no app I know about for crayon eaters Android users.

The 92mm motors are way more powerful than stock. Torque, speed, and temps. It’s definitely worth the upgrade.

Have you also considered a larger diameter motor? The extra torque might help with the heavy weight of the Fireteam.

You could do the max6 with the 4985 1650kv motor or the castle mmx8s and the 1717 1650kv motor are both great options. I’ve used both and the castle gives you more power than the Hobbywing imo but to me it’s worth the extra money for the castle stuff.

Huge fan of the FT, I like it so much I'd like to upgrade the elecs and put the stock gear in a roller Typhon I bought. I want to get the hobbystar motor, but I'm wondering what KV and pinion everyone would recommend?

I asked the same question. I wanted to change the motor on my next 20x runs, but I'm going for cooler electronics.

What I can up with for me the Hobbystar 4092 1730kv

In the video, he made the comments below. I am not running mine like his, but based on how he is running it this motor combo will be super cooler than the stock plus I still will run my 40mm fans

RC Dude81 running in his Fireteam: video
  • Hobbystar 4092 1480kv (old) link video Using a 22T pinion with a Max6 ESC
  • He was running the Hobbystar 4082 2000kv but was running hot, removed it. Mention that the motor was great for the Talion XL
  • Posted this in a comment "Yeah the 4092 is probably a better suit on this heavier truck! With the 1480kv, I'm currently running a 23 tooth pinion stock spur" He later said the 4092 1480kv runs cooler vs 1730kv

Not that this is the bible or he is correct. But the video at least gives me an idea of the max performance over the stock 2050kv motor...just a baseline for me to reference

Last edited:
There’s no app I know about for crayon eaters Android users.

The 92mm motors are way more powerful than stock. Torque, speed, and temps. It’s definitely worth the upgrade.

Have you also considered a larger diameter motor? The extra torque might help with the heavy weight of the Fireteam.
Crayon eaters…..spit my rye and coke out!,!,,,, LMAO…..

@dure16 is correct,……I recommend the HW 1650 KV myself for the fireteam. As a matter of fact, the 1650 is perfect for all of Arrma’s 1/8 scale rigs…..but that’s just me….

20/46-6S backflips with Firma 160/4092 1730kV

Temps on my DX5 peaked around 150 hitting it hard tonight but it’s only 60 degrees here. I’ll be going to a 49/85mm in this big girl over the summer.

All of my rigs running a max6/4092 1730kv motor run 24/46 but i also run 12v 40mm fans on the max6 and motor.

I find it kinda funny how I run my talion (much lighter than the FT) at 13/50 and 1730kv and it still gets hot.
You might be under-geared, causing the motor to spend too much time near max RPM.

Going to a bigger pinion may reduce temps, as weird as that sounds.

Is that motor temp? If yes, how do you monitor it?

Sensor wire on the ESC is congruent with infrared on the hottest part of the can on this setup. ESC is usually 30 degrees cooler on the external heat sink infrared vs what the internal temp states on the Firma 160.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back