Hobbywing Max10 G2 ESC Cap Replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panicg9

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I blew both the caps on my Hobbywing Max10 G2 esc, and have removed them and am looking to replace them. The connectors look like a replacement should just pop on, however it doesn’t look like the drop in replacements that I see online have this same connector.

I’m wondering if I just need to remove the bottom part of the cap and “plug” it in, or if I’m better off just soldering caps or a cap pack to the leads and filling it with epoxy.

Thanks for your input!
IMG_3729.jpeg

IMG_3740.jpeg

when you say removed, how exactly did you do that...
it looks like you just pulled and ripped apart the capacitors cos they are not plugs all capacitors are soldered in
you need to take apart the esc and desolder the old capacitors then solder in new ones

when you say removed, how exactly did you do that...
it looks like you just pulled and ripped apart the capacitors cos they are not plugs all capacitors are soldered in
you need to take apart the esc and desolder the old capacitors then solder in new ones
Agreed however taking the entire esc apart doesn’t seem feasible with the amount of epoxy. I have seen someone once tried to use acetone but it also destroyed the esc casing.

And yeah I did just pluck them out. Can I remove the bottom of a new one and push fit it in or will it cause it to leak?

Agreed however taking the entire esc apart doesn’t seem feasible with the amount of epoxy. I have seen someone once tried to use acetone but it also destroyed the esc casing.

And yeah I did just pluck them out. Can I remove the bottom of a new one and push fit it in or will it cause it to leak?
No. By plucking them out it’s difficult to imagine that you didn’t trash the board on the ESC. Who knows, though. Maybe you got super lucky.
If I had to guess or put money on it I would assume you now have a bricked ESC. If not, I would try to seal it the way it is and just install a cap pack on the power leads to the ESC.
It‘s pretty hard to be optimistic about your prospects for success in salvaging that ESC, though.

taking the esc apart is the only way to replace the caps, sadly escs are not really meant to be serviceable

As an update, the ESC was still working without changing anything. I re-epoxied the cap ends and installed a cap pack and have run the truck and everything is working fine.

As an update, the ESC was still working without changing anything. I re-epoxied the cap ends and installed a cap pack and have run the truck and everything is working fine.
Against all odds. Good for you, man. Mad props on fixing what you already own. Many of us could take a lesson from this. Me included. Good job, yo! 🍻

You could have soldered directly to the remaining pins from the old caps, but the cap pack will work just fine too.
The caps aren't necessarily needed for the ESC to work anyway, but I wouldn't run without em :LOL:

You could have soldered directly to the remaining pins from the old caps, but the cap pack will work just fine too.
The caps aren't necessarily needed for the ESC to work anyway, but I wouldn't run without em :LOL:
Yeah it did work without the caps, but it was just for a quick test to make sure it all was fine - I wouldn't be running it like that either. I would have soldered to the leads but I didn't think it would look great as the caps would be sticking way out and be liable to get damaged again hahaha

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back