HobbyWing G2 motor wires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan B.

Area man
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Granite
  3. Limitless
  4. Mojave EXB
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 6s
  7. Typhon 6s
Has anyone shortened their motor wires on one of these yet? I don’t know if they are standard stranded wire or the coated winding leads. Max10 140a sensored ESC with the new G3 sensored motor.
After grousing in the past about the limited real estate on the SWB Arrmas, I’m now doing a 1/10 Rlaarlo that just doesn’t have an inch to spare! 😂
Its going to be quite a challenge to keep this build tidy.

interested as the motor wires look really long even for the Arrma cars.

Personally I might shorten mine as you will just be cutting the motor wire and not adding onto it so it should mess the coating up

interested as the motor wires look really long even for the Arrma cars.

Personally I might shorten mine as you will just be cutting the motor wire and not adding onto it so it should mess the coating up
Yeah, they’re really long.
But if you cut the enamel coated style winding wires (like TP) you can’t solder bullets to them without completing a very tedious process of stripping the enamel from each of the hundreds of wire strands. Don’t ever cut motor wires if you don’t know which ones you’re dealing with.

Are the wires flexible or stiff?

If flexible you’re probably fine.
They’re pretty flexible, I do think it’s regular stranded wire. I was just wondering if someone could confirm.
I’m going to trim off some insulation to make sure, but I think I can shorten them.

Yeah, they’re really long.
But if you cut the enamel coated style winding wires (like TP) you can’t solder bullets to them without completing a very tedious process of stripping the enamel from each of the hundreds of wire strands. Don’t ever cut motor wires if you don’t know which ones you’re dealing with.
This is an easy fix.

Burn the enamel off with a torch, score the wire with a razor, enough bite for runny solder. (y)

This is an easy fix.

Burn the enamel off with a torch, score the wire with a razor, enough bite for runny solder. (y)
Thanks, I’ve never tried that method. I’ve heard of others using some kind of solvent to eat the enamel off, but I’ve never done that either.

Are they silicone coated or sleeved? Any labeling/words on the exterior of motor cable? In my experience silicone/rubber coated wires are AWG stranded wire. Especially if there are any markings or labeling on the silicone. When you see sleeving, that's usually because they are using the coated wire strands and the sleeving is used to hold the strands together after "winding" the motor. I just can't envision a motor manufacturer winding their motor with coated wire strands, and then once assembled, taking the strands and attempting to reform them into a silicone outer jacket for just 10 inches. Just my 2 cents. If you see sleeved wire, i'd feel pretty confident they are coated strands underneath. If you see silicone coated wire, i'd feel pretty confident they are AWG stranded wire.

Are they silicone coated or sleeved? Any labeling/words on the exterior of motor cable? In my experience silicone/rubber coated wires are AWG stranded wire. Especially if there are any markings or labeling on the silicone. When you see sleeving, that's usually because they are using the coated wire strands and the sleeving is used to hold the strands together after "winding" the motor. I just can't envision a motor manufacturer winding their motor with coated wire strands, and then once assembled, taking the strands and attempting to reform them into a silicone outer jacket for just 10 inches. Just my 2 cents. If you see sleeved wire, i'd feel pretty confident they are coated strands underneath. If you see silicone coated wire, i'd feel pretty confident they are AWG stranded wire.
Makes perfect sense. I’ll check it out. Thanks!

It costs less for them to just use the motor windings as leads. Usually it's the cheap no name motors that are like this and have that crappy fabric sleave over the wires VS the silicone. I think that is the tell tale sign that the windings are going to be coated is that crappy sleave they use over the leads.

Last edited:
It costs less for them to just use the motor windings as leads. Usually it's the cheap no name motors that are like this and have that crappy fabric sleave over the wires VS the silicone. I think that is the tell tale sign that the windings are going to be coated is that crappy sleave they use over the leads.
I'm not sure if cost is the major reason associated with that design choice. I assume everyone would recognize TP motors as expensive and associate them with quality, but they use the same coated wire strands and sleeving from what i can tell.
1702410986046.png

Whereas some motors from hobbystar have AWG motor leads, while other models of theirs have sleeved motor leads. The ultimate irony here is that X-team, which i would say is probably one of the cheapest brands, has almost entirely AWG motor leads (albeit with like tiny 14 AWG wire or something).

I would definitely be interested to found out why they choose one way over another. But i'm not sure cost is the deciding factor.

I'm not sure if cost is the major reason associated with that design choice. I assume everyone would recognize TP motors as expensive and associate them with quality, but they use the same coated wire strands and sleeving from what i can tell.
View attachment 336721
Whereas some motors from hobbystar have AWG motor leads, while other models of theirs have sleeved motor leads. The ultimate irony here is that X-team, which i would say is probably one of the cheapest brands, has almost entirely AWG motor leads (albeit with like tiny 14 AWG wire or something).

I would definitely be interested to found out why they choose one way over another. But i'm not sure cost is the deciding factor.
I didn't know TP did that I had only ever seen it on the cheap ebay motors so I just assumed that was the reasoning.

Personally I like motors that have the actual winds come out for direct bullets. When you have to solder your own AWG on the terminals, there HAS to be an efficiency loss factor. Also, most AWG is not 100 copper, like the winds. Direct is best for OCD too.

I went down and checked them out earlier. They’re 10 gauge AWG wires, so I’ll be shortening the f”ck out of them. 😊 Gonna solder the sh’t out of some 4mm bullets. Pretty sure it’s going to be awesome.

Solder stiffy? 😂
Absolutely! I loves to solder me some bullets. The motor is going to have “bullet envy” though when it sees the 6-8mm bullets on my other motors.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back