Typhon Hole in Chassis- Power Module Dust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1.21 Gigawatts

Reaction score
I have read many threads about dirt/dust getting into the 3blx power module and stripping the spur gear. I did the felt tape fix to try to seal it and thought that it was pretty successful until last weekend. Found a new bashing spot which has a lot of loose dirt and fine gravel. Great for driving, but I couldn't believe how much dirt and pebbles got under and behind the power module after. The inside was covered in fine brown dust, so I know that it isn't sealed well enough.

Seems like the next step is to cut a hole in the chassis. Since this is a non-reversable modification, I wanted to get a consensus that this mod does more good than harm. Has anyone had issues with stripping gears and motor bearings after cutting the hole?

You can always do what I do and before installing the module back take a light line heavy thick grease. Then install. It'll go easy its a +. After installed lite line like your caulking where meets chassis and up around module some. Clean up isnt bad. Takes couple wipes with rag lol.

Keeps mine this clean!

20210831_224750.jpg

I think rich dumper bash puts some type of notch in his 3s chassis.
Yeah- the slot/hole under the spur gear is what I am referring to. The 6s chassis has it as well as many 1/8 race buggies. Seems counter-intuitive, but I guess the slot allows all of the dirt to get ejected.

Yeah- the slot/hole under the spur gear is what I am referring to. The 6s chassis has it as well as many 1/8 race buggies. Seems counter-intuitive, but I guess the slot allows all of the dirt to get ejected.
Yup exactly what I am talking about. If I had 3s rigs that's what I would do.

Seems like the next step is to cut a hole in the chassis. Since this is a non-reversable modification
It is reversible to a certain extent. If you don't like it just cover hole with tape, sealant, shoe goo, grub screw or whatever.

I'm currently trying all methods across 3 rigs but haven't had enough run time to comment on which is better.

I can say though that my sons senton was getting small rocks or grains of sand stuck in the plastic spur gear all the time. After drilling 2 small holes(about 4mm) in the chassis, under the spur this problem was greatly reduced.

Dremel’d mine a while back. No regerts!
Not even one letter? :ROFLMAO:

I use black automotive silicone and make a gasket for the power module and used double sided tape under the spur cutout in the power module. So far it keeps everything clean in there.

I've tried sealing with tape, it's not bad, but when there's too much grit that collects under the power module, eventually the tape will cut, and due to the false feeling of security you'll not check the power module and eventually you'll get a shredded spur (or motor)

So then i've tried the hole in the chassis, it's better than nothing but not by much. much worse than the seal method.

so currently i'm doing both. Sealing the power module with (painter's) tape, and having a hole in the chassis to avoid having too much grit collected in there. it works very well for me!

If you cut the hole and don’t like it - a new chassis is a few bucks. Heck, someone would probably buy the slotted chassis from you.

I slotted mine and changed all of my 3S vehicles to steel spurs. No issues so far, knock on wood.

It's a major flaw with the 3s design. The fact you have to cut a slot, add some tape or fashion a grease gasket to stop crap getting into one of the most important components in the rig is poor. And then the Spectrum motors seem to curl there toes at the slightest bit of dust in their bearings makes for a significant weakness.

I clean the power module daily and have Surpass Hobby motors in all my 3s rigs. It helps a lot.

I've run all mine with the slit cut in the chassis and haven't had any issues at all! With stock plastic spur or upgraded steel spur. All my 3s rigs have it and now all have the steel spur also and run very smooth with no blown motor bearings or bad wear on the pinion or spur at all. Also got the vorteks a while back and left it sealed with stock spur to see how long would last and 3rd pack motor bearing went and destroyed the spur. Have since put slot in chassis and steel spur and not a single issue after a good 10+ bashes with my son driving it. I gave it to him and he likes to go all out full throttle with it on our sandy dirt speed bashing so it sees plenty of dust and dirt but again no issues at all since the change👍🏼

It's a major flaw with the 3s design. The fact you have to cut a slot, add some tape or fashion a grease gasket to stop crap getting into one of the most important components in the rig is poor. And then the Spectrum motors seem to curl there toes at the slightest bit of dust in their bearings makes for a significant weakness.

I clean the power module daily and have Surpass Hobby motors in all my 3s rigs. It helps a lot.
Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

I've run all mine with the slit cut in the chassis and haven't had any issues at all! With stock plastic spur or upgraded steel spur. All my 3s rigs have it and now all have the steel spur also and run very smooth with no blown motor bearings or bad wear on the pinion or spur at all. Also got the vorteks a while back and left it sealed with stock spur to see how long would last and 3rd pack motor bearing went and destroyed the spur. Have since put slot in chassis and steel spur and not a single issue after a good 10+ bashes with my son driving it. I gave it to him and he likes to go all out full throttle with it on our sandy dirt speed bashing so it sees plenty of dust and dirt but again no issues at all since the change👍🏼

I cut a hole in my Senton chassis , finally just the other day. Let's see...

I don't get why people are scared of wiping just a little bit of grease off anytime you change or do maintenance to your power module. I'm a wholehearted NEWB ,as everyone knows, but three or four wipes with a paper towel and it's clean and shiny.🤦🤷

I don't get why people are scared of wiping just a little bit of grease off anytime you change or do maintenance to your power module. I'm a wholehearted NEWB ,as everyone knows, but three or four wipes with a paper towel and it's clean and shiny.🤦🤷
Ya but also when you bash hard and jump big that grease doesn't always stay put and when it gets inside the PM it's all bad. Not saying the slot in the chassis is the only way to go but in my experience and opinion it's the best option. Also your not having to clean a mess every few packs or have your pinion, spur and inside of the PM caked with not only dirt and dust but grease also possibly. I suggest trying to seal it first and see how it holds up and works but when it doesn't work or you get tired of cleaning a mess the slot in the chassis is a one and done deal and has been proven to work by lots of people👍🏼

Ya but also when you bash hard and jump big that grease doesn't always stay put and when it gets inside the PM it's all bad. Not saying the slot in the chassis is the only way to go but in my experience and opinion it's the best option. Also your not having to clean a mess every few packs or have your pinion, spur and inside of the PM caked with not only dirt and dust but grease also possibly. I suggest trying to seal it first and see how it holds up and works but when it doesn't work or you get tired of cleaning a mess the slot in the chassis is a one and done deal and has been proven to work by lots of people👍🏼
I did think about the bigger sends after it was too late. I am going to keep trying it with less and less grease.

Also my luck its the same. Id land on just right size rock or limb. Jab right it there! And here we go again. 😆

I did think about the bigger sends after it was too late. I am going to keep trying it with less and less grease.

Also my luck its the same. Id land on just right size rock or limb. Jab right it there! And here we go again. 😆
I'd be surprised as I run through a bunch of weeds and plants on my property and nothing gets in there. Also have lots of gravel too and yet to get a rock or anything lodged in any of the 3 rigs👍🏼

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back