Senton How do the plastic 3s diffs hold up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Just wondering because I have a friend who is looking to get into land RC and I'm wondering if the plastic diffs are a deal breaker between deciding between Arrma and the equivalent Traxxas. Thanks guys!

They've always held up fine for me. Of course, you can upgrade the diff case to aluminum if you want, and you can add steel gears if you want, but if you're sticking with 3s, it's not really necessary IMO.

I have 3 3s cars in my house and I’m the only one who had had to change out two rear differential input gears. I attribute it to my driving style. It’s also an extremely quick swap for new ones if you get backups from Jenny’s.

I've only had one diff fail on my and that was after about 30 runs.
I ran it hard, but even then, it still functioned. Just started to slip a bit on hard takeoffs.

Note: Do not lock up your slipper clutch if you plan on bashing. That's what caused my rear diff damage. Guess I gave the screw one or two too many turns. Oops... :whistle:

Just wondering because I have a friend who is looking to get into land RC and I'm wondering if the plastic diffs are a deal breaker between deciding between Arrma and the equivalent Traxxas. Thanks guys!
They are extremely good. I have four, 3s cars and after 6 months to a year+ of heavy use between them, I’ve only stripped one and it was a year old one and my error. Just research, or have your friend research, the proper way to shim and set them up.
They are extremely good. I have four, 3s cars and after 6 months to a year+ of heavy use between them, I’ve only stripped one and it was a year old one and my error. Just research, or have your friend research, the proper way to shim and set them up.
I also have hot racing yokes in the two cars i run 80% of the time. And I only use super lube or similar silicon PTFE fortified grease and not much at that. Not not too much, too much is bad! And I clean the diff/input gear often, at every six runs or so and inspect, switch the shim if needed or add one etc. I pay much more attention to the rear. It’s easier to get to and takes the most stress. I only mess with the front around half as much.

Last edited:
I've stripped 4 diffs,always rear,4,6s..you put bigger,heavier tires that grip ,it'll go....did 1 with a set of 1/8 buggy paddles doing holeshot roostertails...smaller tires that'll spin some an all good.showed this video many times,but here's my opinion

I personally think they are a weak point. I've destroyed many diffs and input gears. Replaced the one in my Typhon with the steel version and it is solid. Worth the money. My Senton sits on the bench with its plastic rear diff clicking.

For me they have been a weak point when compared to Traxxas. My Granite, Big rock, and Typhon have all had to get front/rear diff or input gears replaced at some point due to stripping. I've never had to replace any input gear and diff gears on my Traxxas 3s cars. When the plastic diffs move around in the Arrma diff yokes, they get too tight or loose and can cause strippage. Like someone mentioned earlier, shimming the diff or getting the HR aluminum diff yokes would prevent it from happening, but that is upgrades and time spent messing with them. The diffs are cheap if you get replacements from kit breakers like JennyRC but still an annoyance to fix. If your friend just wants to pull out a car and lightly bash, I recommend a Traxxas car. If they are mechanically inclined and don't mind wrenching if needed I'd recommended Arrma. My Arrmas outperform my Traxxas cars but need more wrenching.

For me they have been a weak point when compared to Traxxas. My Granite, Big rock, and Typhon have all had to get front/rear diff or input gears replaced at some point due to stripping. I've never had to replace any input gear and diff gears on my Traxxas 3s cars. When the plastic diffs move around in the Arrma diff yokes, they get too tight or loose and can cause strippage. Like someone mentioned earlier, shimming the diff or getting the HR aluminum diff yokes would prevent it from happening, but that is upgrades and time spent messing with them. The diffs are cheap if you get replacements from kit breakers like JennyRC but still an annoyance to fix. If your friend just wants to pull out a car and lightly bash, I recommend a Traxxas car. If they are mechanically inclined and don't mind wrenching if needed I'd recommended Arrma. My Arrmas outperform my Traxxas cars but need more wrenching.
This is my experience too. Never done a diff in my Team Associated or my BSD Racing rigs but all my 3s rigs had diff issues so I sold them all and just have the Senton left, which currently is down with a stripped rear diff. I drive daily, several packs a day so I'm a heavy user and need rigs that take daily abuse and use. That's why my go to Arrma is my 6s Typhon. That thing is built to last.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back