how do you record your rc footage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alright and do you have any advice with picture the camera seems to struggle with flying against the clouds so you can't see the plane not sure if you know anyway to help the camera with that?
Honestly I'm not sure but I do remember hearing that the zoom on gopros is horrible since it only has digital zoom. Gopro might not be the best camera for trying to record something so far away.

I wish I did, I think your best bet is to find someone on youtube who has footage of their planes and ask them what they used. Phones are even better than gopros

alright then do you have any recommendations for a camera I can easily mount on my head?
The camera you already have is perfect for mounting on your head, but you said you couldn't get the right pov so not sure if there is a better camera out there to help you get the pov you need.

A good way to film is to have a camera mounted to a tripod.

FWIW, the best plane footage I've seen on Youtube is always when someone other than the pilot has control of the camera. I'm not sure if there's an easy way to mount a camera on your head where you can control zoom...which in itself would pose the problem of not being able to see what it is you're zooming in on. The probability of zooming in on an empty sector of sky is going to be really high and once the plane is a little ways away from you, you're not going to see it on the video image if you're not zoomed in on the plane. It's a bit of a conundrum and I'm not sure that a one-man solution for that problem exists. If there's any way to get someone else (even if it's just a passer by) to do the video while you fly, that's going to be your best option. I know that's probably not the answer you were looking for, but I'm having a hard time imagining how you would do that on your own.

I used to use double sided tape and stick my phone to my radio. Then this happens:
So then I bought the RadioLink phone holder attachment. But having the phone right in front of me lead to me watching the screen to make sure I was getting clear shots and not where I was going. Thanks to the last one, there's a cornfield somewhere in Canada with a GNSS and gensacearespammers 2400mah 2s battery waiting to bloom.

Maybe mount a small camera ON the plane. Then you have a real time pilots perspective video. Excellent footage for crashes also!

insta360 is another brand camera I've seen people use. FYI
I have an insta360 Go 2 and it does alright for my purposes. It's nice and small but it doesn't offer any improvement over the GoPro he has or solve the problem he wants to address. He just needs a second person to man the camera when he's flying, there's no two ways about it.

It's nice and small but it doesn't offer any improvement over the GoPro
I've been thinking about getting one. I have an older session 5, small black cube, and it's pretty outdated. I've read some reviews about gopro not updating their cameras for years, displays are breaking easily, or just quit working. So do you think it's as good, better than gopro??
I've said it before, our phones are the best cameras but hard to mount/hold.

I've been thinking about getting one. I have an older session 5, small black cube, and it's pretty outdated. I've read some reviews about gopro not updating their cameras for years, displays are breaking easily, or just quit working. So do you think it's as good, better than gopro??
I've said it before, our phones are the best cameras but hard to mount/hold.
From what I've seen, I think that GoPro has better image quality, they do 4k (the insta360 Go 2 has a max resolution of 2560x1440) and you have more options in terms of resolution, frame rate, etc. I got the Go 2 because it's a good bit cheaper than the GoPro, it's a lot smaller and it's sufficient for what I needed it for (primarily for documenting speed runs and the night image is surprisingly good). It has a few other limitations but none of them were relevant for my needs. I haven't tried the insta360 ONE so I can't say how it compares to the GoPro but, I'm sure you can find plenty of videos on Youtube that compare the two.

I had been struggling with this same topic. I had a few videos where my GoPro was not pointed just right and so my video angle was not on the car as well as it should have been.

I then started having issues with my GoPro turning off in the middle of the video so that was the last straw on that situation. I started to hunt for something and this is what I came up with.... Sun glasses with a camera in the middle.

1678889533954.png

https://www.amazon.com/MingSung-MS20-Sunglasses-HD1080P-Scouting/dp/B0BDRLLJD8/ref=sr_1_3?crid=9OO3QC7S7TW9&keywords=camera+glasses&qid=1678889486&sprefix=camera+glasses,aps,106&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840

The video quality is pretty good and image stabilization does not seem to be necessary due to our heads staying relatively stable..
My only compliant is that it chops up the video into multiple files so I have to put them back together. Other than that, it has worked well.

The polarized lenses are actually pretty decent also.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back