Crawler owners, do you run your shocks with or without springs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
Still learning a lot about trailing and crawling. Didn't know that running shocks with no springs was an option. Ran some super soft springs on my TRX4M today and really liked it and I can see why no springs would help keep CG low, yet the tires will drop when needed going over rocks and obstacles.

Do you run springs? No springs? Both depending on the rig/location, etc.?

When I first started with my scx24 everyone said no spring was the ticket.. it seemed to perform well so I thought they were right.
Through playing around with springs and diff rates I found it performs a million times better with them..
The trx4m is similar in size to what im workin with..
I'd say experiment....
For my truck it sidehills way better with the springs helping to keep the truck "level". Without them it would torque over and lift a tire. Sometimes roll as a result.

I believe there is a sweet spot you gotta find in rates. Again experiment. Never settle thinking you've found the ticket cause I promise there's always something you can add/do to improve even more.

Sorry if this is kinda scatter brained sounding , trying to talk to wifey at same time 🤣😂

Makes sense, i really like the softer springs and want to run it a few times with them trying different shock mount locations on the new chassis. Just messing around with it I found this setting my favorite so far.
1000005340.jpg

1000005337.jpg

Im guessing between spring rates and shock positions there are A LOT of possibilities...

Endless it would seem. I love playing around with the setups on these things. It's like the tinker factor never ends!

The more laid down the shocks are the more up/down travel you get. Mine on my setup are angled a good bit.
Disconnect the top and move it around to diff positions and see how it effects the up/down travel before attaching. See what you think.

20230921_140809.jpg

20230921_140737.jpg

If you’re talking 1/24-1/18 scale you can get away with no springs. Me personally I run spring on everything. You take the spring away you take part of the way the shock works. The smallest I run is 40mm the largest 57mm. Depends on the rig and what you’re doing with it.
IMG_1442.jpeg

If you’re talking 1/24-1/18 scale you can get away with no springs. Me personally I run spring on everything. You take the spring away you take part of the way the shock works. The smallest I run is 40mm the largest 57mm. Depends on the rig and what you’re doing with it. View attachment 346796
Bruh… You at my house?! I’ve got those Costco towels, that Costco grey blanket, and your carpet looks like mine?! Who da?!

(Also good advice and nice rigs haha!)

Bruh… You at my house?! I’ve got those Costco towels, that Costco grey blanket, and your carpet looks like mine?! Who da?!

(Also good advice and nice rigs haha!)
May be 🐇 😂😂😂😂 my wife is addicted to Costco like 80’s crack!! 😝 my couch 🛋️ my 🛌 and I’d say 70% of the “things” in my house come from Costco. I never got the no springs on the shocks myself. 1/10 crawlers no way you can run without spring Way too heavy. But people try.
IMG_1755.png
IMG_1753.png
IMG_1752.png
IMG_1751.png
IMG_1750.png
IMG_1749.png
IMG_1748.png

I ended up using very soft springs on my TRX4M and its pretty close to perfect.

My Ecto and 1/10 Trx4 Im still using the stock springs with very little preload. Put new shock mounts on both and angled the shocks, now the springs feel just right on both.

So what you are talking about is running a full droop set up. Were the shocks are almost 100% collapsed in normal driving conditions and then when the tires drops into a hole the suspension unloads. This can be accomplished a couple ways. Having shocks in a lay down or more horizontal position, very soft springs, or special spring cups designed for full droop set up. Most people would call this the only way to run a true LCG rig

Back