How is everyone cleaning the diff fluid?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonphelps

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I’m about to switch out center differential fluid from my Typhon v5 6s. What should I use to get everything clean?
Brake cleaner and then rinse? There are many different methods and I want to know what to pick up at the store.

I have had o-rings swell from gasoline and boiling them in a pot of water for 30 mins shrunk them back down. Would probably work for naphtha too.

Just don't use your wife's good pot.
Same thing happend to me. I put them in un-cooked rice and shrunk them back down agian.

"Chlorinated" Brake parts solvent does remove silicone diff. oil. "Non"-Chlorinated Brake cleaner does not do as well. There is a difference! Chlorinated is more toxic FWIW. Thus works better.
I wipe off most of the diff fluid from the parts and soak in Chlorinated brake cleaner. No need to rinse at all. The trichloroethane in this solvent evaporates, separating the oil from metal non porous parts. Electrical contact cleaner "supposedly" works best. I tried both. But "Chlorinated brake solvent can be purchased cheap here in the States. Electrical Parts cleaner is usually double the price and more. With a minimal working difference or advantage. Tried many ways and products. Sometimes I can get Chlorinated parts cleaner on sale for $3-4 a can. Electrical parts cleaner, which I also always have on hand, I reserve for my Motor cleaning and Rx boards., switches etc. :cool:

One again thank you to everyone.

Just opened my diffs for the first time after about 2 how of run time. Front and rear were dark grey and the center was pitch black.

Went trying to clean them with soap of course doing nothing and found this thread. A lot of the descriptions on the first page reminded me of mineral spirits which I had. Everything else I would have needed to go out.

Diff parts and some odorless mineral spirits in a mason jar. Shake it up a bit then rinse. Squeaky clean in a couple minutes!

Back