How is everyone cleaning the diff fluid?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonphelps

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I’m about to switch out center differential fluid from my Typhon v5 6s. What should I use to get everything clean?
Brake cleaner and then rinse? There are many different methods and I want to know what to pick up at the store.

I have had o-rings swell (from gasoline, not naphtha) and boiling them in a pot of water for 30 mins shrunk them back down.
Never tried that. If something like that ever happens again I will give it a shot👍

3 in One silicone "oil" works great as a diff cleaner (made by guess who, WD40, so it's like it's counterpart it is more of a solvent than anything.) Wipe the gears and such off with a rag, sqirt some on a toothbrush and scrub the old fluid off. Wipe the diff out and squirt some in and work the toothbrush around, wipe out, and spary out with comp air. Doesn't swell or attack rubber/plastics like Naptha or brake cleaner, and doesn't smell as bad either. I've heard silicone spray "lube" works equivalent as well. For ring/pinion grease, any auto wheel bearing/multipurpose grease works. Some say marine grease is good for wet conditions, which I may try once the snow starts up again.

Vinegar is decent at cleaning un-cured silicone sealant. I wonder if it would clean silicone lube?

Actually thinking of buying a ultrasonic cleaner. There not badly priced these days.

WD40 this, WD40 that ,Wasbenzine‘ and ‘turpentine, ultrasonic cleaner with some simple green, Naptha/Shellite (mineral spirits on steroids). Come on guys, this is not rocket science, just drain, flush and wipe out with soft cloth and replace the fluid. Ya all have a nice day now, ya hear.

Been doing this 20+ years. Naptha works better then anything by far. Drop parts in and 5 min later they are squeaky clean an a bottle will last a lifetime
Hi there. Can you use this Naptha also for the plastic parts cleaning?
Still trying to realize how it's called over here in the Czech Republic but closest thing I found was White Spirits?
Btw, I use this tea thingy, put the diff parts into it and submerge it into the jar full of -insert cleaner here-
How about you?
cajovesitko.jpg

Hi there. Can you use this Naptha also for the plastic parts cleaning?
Still trying to realize how it's called over here in the Czech Republic but closest thing I found was White Spirits?
Btw, I use this tea thingy, put the diff parts into it and submerge it into the jar full of -insert cleaner here-
How about you?
View attachment 165071
Seems it was called NAFTA there but is now banned.

Seems it was called NAFTA there but is now banned.
Thats strange because "nafta" is what diesel cars use to run here : )
Anyways, do you use it to clean the plastics too? Thats what was causing me most troubles - how to clean the diff housing...
For anything metal I have been just submerging it in benzine (actually called "technical benzine" not the one you tank in your car), you put it there for a minute and its like brand new without any other effort. And very cheap.

Thats strange because "nafta" is what diesel cars use to run here : )
Anyways, do you use it to clean the plastics too? Thats what was causing me most troubles - how to clean the diff housing...
For anything metal I have been just submerging it in benzine (actually called "technical benzine" not the one you tank in your car), you put it there for a minute and its like brand new without any other effort. And very cheap.
Yes I clean everything but the orings with it.. I do replace them every rebuild. That doesn't surprise me it is used as a fuel. I read once it used to be used as a jet fuel... jet fuel, kerosene and diesel are all very similar

Do it! You will not regret it. It is so good at cleaning everything!
What specs should it get? Capacity, power, heated etc?

• Capacity: 0.8L/1.3L/2L/3L/6L
  • Ultrasonic Frequency: 40kHz
  • Ultrasonic Power: 35W/60W/120W/180W/240W/360W/480W/600W
  • Heating Power (3L-30L): 100W/200W/250W/400W/600W
  • Time Range: 0-15/0-30 min
  • Temp Range (3L-30L): RT-176℉/RT-80℃

Last edited:
Back