How is everyone cleaning the diff fluid?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonphelps

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I’m about to switch out center differential fluid from my Typhon v5 6s. What should I use to get everything clean?
Brake cleaner and then rinse? There are many different methods and I want to know what to pick up at the store.

Brake cleaner doesn’t work on silicon oil.
You need electrical contact cleaner. Just let your diff gears soak in it for 10 minutes and use a toothbrush to remove the final residue.
On a similar note. After replacing the fluid can/should I purchase a grease that can go on outside of the diff?

WD40 works the best out of everything I tried, it really dissoves grease. Then degreaser and rinse.

On a similar note. After replacing the fluid can/should I purchase a grease that can go on outside of the diff?
Lucasoil Red n Tacky is great for gear grease
WD40 works the best out of everything I tried, it really dissoves grease. Then degreaser and rinse.
WD40 doesn’t dissolve grease.
WD40 electrical contact cleaner does dissolve silicon oil.

WD40 doesn’t dissolve grease.
Hmmmm ..... its actually a good degreaser. I use it to clean at work. That's why you should never use it on chains as it cleans off oil and grease.

Hmmmm ..... its actually a good degreaser. I use it to clean at work. That's why you should never use it on chains as it cleans off oil and grease.
Do you mean a WD40 product or the original WD40 stuff? They made it a brand name which is quite confusing.
Original WD40 stands for Water Displacement and doesn't dissolve grease like a brake cleaner.

And the OP is talking about diff fluid, so silicon oil, which is something completely different than grease.

Do you mean a WD40 product or the original WD40 stuff? They made it a brand name which is quite confusing.
Original WD40 stands for Water Displacement and doesn't dissolve grease like brake cleaner.
Yep the original WD40 stuff. It doesn't work as well as brake cleaner and actually degreaser but it does degrease and clean.
Thick grease is hard to degrease. Usually takes a bit of elbow grease (haha) to move it.

WD-40 is a solvent it breaks silicone down then it's easy to wash away with a degreaser. I tried brake clean, electric, carb, and even gasoline, none worked without elbow grease.

Been doing this 20+ years. Naptha works better then anything by far. Drop parts in and 5 min later they are squeaky clean an a bottle will last a lifetime

Been doing this 20+ years. Naptha works better then anything by far. Drop parts in and 5 min later they are squeaky clean an a bottle will last a lifetime
Naptha is Shellite for the Aussie readers.

Just looked up Naptha, because I never saw it over here. I used break cleaner before, but it‘s expensive and very toxic.
I see that a sort of Naptha is easily available and cheap, so I will definitely give it a try👍

Just looked up Naptha, because I never saw it over here. I used break ckeaner before, but it expensive and very toxic.
I see that a sort of Naptha is easily available and cheap, so I definitely give it a try👍
You will not be disappointed. Just remember it will swell up the o rings

Back