Anyone try the Hobbystar V2 escs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketzx1

Very Active Member
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
  2. Nero
  3. Outcast 4s
  4. Senton 3s
  5. Talion EXB
  6. Infraction 4x4
As title states, anyone try them?

They look like they might be rebranded Hobbywing or something similar. I have several of their V1 motors and they are pretty dang nice.

I’ve been looking at getting the 3674 2500kv motor and an esc with 7.4v bec, for my Outcast 4s V2 roller I picked up off eBay.

Their 120 and 150amp V2 escs have 6-7.4v bec for 80-90, but could also get a Mamba Monster 2 for around 100, or a Max8, or a Max6 etc.

What do you all suggest?

I would suggest buying Castle or Hobbywing. I'll go cheap on motors but never ESCs.

Where did you find an MM2 for only $100?

Interested as well, as I was browsing them just the other week!

I've heard mixed things about the v1 ESCs, mostly because they weren't water proof. The latest v2 have remedied that situation. While they aren't sensored, i don't think that's necessary for a basher. I almost bought one for a side project I'm working on.

My personal philosophy with any "suspect" ESC would be to run lower than the stated maximum. IE, i wouldn't treat the 150a v2 ESC the same as a max8 or Spektrum 150a. But that doesn't mean it couldn't be run in a truck that gives it lots of head room and probably be okay. For example, if you wanted to run 4s or 6s on a vey light truck (like a big rock or something) the 120a V2 would probably do just fine. If you're willing to take a gamble, it could pay off just fine. Are you willing to take a gamble for a potentially good payoff?

If you do end up buying one, make sure you report back the results ;)

EDIT: it also looks like the 150a V2 is on sale for $70. Might be worth a try?
EDIT 2: As far as I know, the programming card is the only means to set programming. Worth keeping in mind and/or looking into.

Those are rebranded Surpass Hobby escs, they have a reputation for being rather hit or miss if you get a good one. The V1 ecss were also notorious for starting on fire. I would rather spend the extra money for a Hobbywing or a Castle esc or even a rebranded Hobbywing.

I was looking at these too. I think it was on RC Juice website? I've heard the v1 were questionable as well.
With the issues I've been reading about from the Max 8 G2's, might be worth a shot..
If 4s is the planned voltage, I recommend upping the motor size from 36 to 40mm. Not sure what fits in the 4s Arrma's though.
I once had a Redcat Avalanche XTE (1/8 MT) that came with a 3660 or 3665 motor, can't remember now, it was about 12 years ago.. anyways, the motor and esc were rated to 4s, but ran hot as a pistol. I smoked 2 motors pretty quick in it.. I had a 4074 2000kv motor from my TT MT4 that I had bought an Xerun combo for. So, I stuck a TT motor and diff mount into the Avalanche and ran the 4074 Ripper motor with stock 80a Redcat esc on 4s. Ran really well, never seemed to heat up. The Avalanche is long gone, had a nightmare drivetrain in it..chinesium at it's worst,LOL.
The Redcat 80a esc is still going to this day!! Runs in my Xray buggy on 4s with a 4068 Turnigy Trackstar 2560kv.
So, with the 36mm motor, the esc ran hot, and obviously the motor was no match for the Avalanche, but with the larger motor, I never had a problem with either the esc or motor.

I was looking at these too. I think it was on RC Juice website? I've heard the v1 were questionable as well.
With the issues I've been reading about from the Max 8 G2's, might be worth a shot..
If 4s is the planned voltage, I recommend upping the motor size from 36 to 40mm. Not sure what fits in the 4s Arrma's though.
I once had a Redcat Avalanche XTE (1/8 MT) that came with a 3660 or 3665 motor, can't remember now, it was about 12 years ago.. anyways, the motor and esc were rated to 4s, but ran hot as a pistol. I smoked 2 motors pretty quick in it.. I had a 4074 2000kv motor from my TT MT4 that I had bought an Xerun combo for. So, I stuck a TT motor and diff mount into the Avalanche and ran the 4074 Ripper motor with stock 80a Redcat esc on 4s. Ran really well, never seemed to heat up. The Avalanche is long gone, had a nightmare drivetrain in it..chinesium at it's worst,LOL.
The Redcat 80a esc is still going to this day!! Runs in my Xray buggy on 4s with a 4068 Turnigy Trackstar 2560kv.
So, with the 36mm motor, the esc ran hot, and obviously the motor was no match for the Avalanche, but with the larger motor, I never had a problem with either the esc or motor.
You can for sure fit a 40x82mm motor, I think you can fit a 92mm long motor too.

Didn't those come with a Hobbywing SC8 RTR?

Sorry for late reply, just settled in after getting off work.

I found the Mamba Monster 2 on eBay for 100, might have been scooped up by now.

Sucks Hobbystars escs are hit or miss, they look pretty nice for the price when their motors are pretty solid!

But I will probably just pony up the money for a Mamba Monster 2, it’ll be more than enough for the Outcast v2 on 4s.

I have a few Castle systems
(Copperhead 4s 2400kv combo, Mamba Monster 2 2200kv combo) already and they are more than enough for my needs.

I haven’t posted much in a long while, though I am always lurking around. Thanks for all the replies gents.

They make an 80a version of the SC8.
They did.. nowadays it's 120a. Perhaps they used to be under rated, now over rated🤷‍♂️
https://hobbies-galore.com/13351-ho...eed-controller-splashproof-alt-hw-wp-sc8-rtr/
Sorry for late reply, just settled in after getting off work.

I found the Mamba Monster 2 on eBay for 100, might have been scooped up by now.

Sucks Hobbystars escs are hit or miss, they look pretty nice for the price when their motors are pretty solid!

But I will probably just pony up the money for a Mamba Monster 2, it’ll be more than enough for the Outcast v2 on 4s.

I have a few Castle systems
(Copperhead 4s 2400kv combo, Mamba Monster 2 2200kv combo) already and they are more than enough for my needs.

I haven’t posted much in a long while, though I am always lurking around. Thanks for all the replies gents.
If you can swing it (Castle), I say more is always better.

I have a spare 4282 1730kv motor just waiting to be used, if I put that in my outcast roller what gearing combo should I start with?

I think stock gearing is 13/57, can any of you gents point me in the right direction so I can order the right parts 😬

I have a spare 4282 1730kv motor just waiting to be used, if I put that in my outcast roller what gearing combo should I start with?

I think stock gearing is 13/57, can any of you gents point me in the right direction so I can order the right parts 😬
Stock is 12/50 according to JRC. Without knowing what else you may have added, or how you'll use it, I say start with stock, buy a few optional pinions..say a 14 and 15 or 16t.
Some gear higher.. I like to be more conservative myself, pushing electronics to their limit on a routine comes with consequences.. your call.

Arrma says it’s 13/57 😮

28E27554-9E9D-4C56-9D30-EABA307E363D.png

So start with stock and work my way up. I have a 13t pinion, I’ll grab a 15, 17, and maybe a 20t and go from there.

The math is pretty simple to do yourself.

Stock motor is 2400kv right?
2400/1730 = 1.39
Stock pinion = 13
1.39 x 13 = 18

18 tooth pinion would provide similar speed to stock.

Arrma says it’s 13/57 😮

View attachment 302185

So start with stock and work my way up. I have a 13t pinion, I’ll grab a 15, 17, and maybe a 20t and go from there.
Oh, I'm sorry, I was talking about 6s Outcast😆
For the 4s, you're gonna have to increase pinion significantly to compensate for the kv drop with that motor.
The math is pretty simple to do yourself.

Stock motor is 2400kv right?
2400/1730 = 1.39
Stock pinion = 13
1.39 x 13 = 18

18 tooth pinion would provide similar speed to stock.
Nice example.. I missed the 4s details, sorry.
With that much more motor, should easily pull a 20t pinion I'd guess.

@Rocketzx1 make sure you get the correct pinion, looks to be mod .8 pitch.
The O4s v2 came with the Firma 3668 2400kv motor. I was looking for specs (motor shaft diameter).. it's 5mm, should be the same as the spare 4282 you have.
Weird, I grabbed the part number for the 4s motor from JRC, looking for specs to see what the shaft diameter is..HH, Arrma-rc, Spektrumrc.. none of them list specs on the actual motor? Retards..🤷‍♂️

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back