Infraction How to cool my Firma 150A ESC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Instead of thermal paste you can also consider thermal pads. Easier and way less messy. It also ensures a solid connection between the heatsink and motor as some heatsinks a a little bigger than the motor diameter.

Instead of thermal paste you can also consider thermal pads. Easier and way less messy. It also ensures a solid connection between the heatsink and motor as some heatsinks a a little bigger than the motor diameter.

The thermo pads would make it easier to install ONLY if the heatsink is one of those half moon types..

If the heatsink is like the kinds that just about completely wraps around the motor and forces you to slip it on , then using thermo paste would be more ideal..
Since a pad would just be pushed/scraped off the heatsink when you try to slip on a tight fitting unit onto the motor can.

Last edited:
Have Any of you with these huge fan set ups ever tried adding thermal paste to the heat sink motor interface? Sooner or later that heat transfer boundary will be the limit, so if your fan and heat sink is big enough it might make a decent difference. I doubt it would make much difference on the stock set up. The way to tell would be to check the temperature of the heat sink itself in operation. The hotter the heat sink actually is the less Useful adding paste would be. But if the heat sink is getting pretty cool with your gigantic fan I will definitely give it a try.
Yeah HS compound works as long as the HS and motor Contact area is exactly mating. If not, I rather not use no HS at all. Which is in most cases. Trial and error dictates. Temp gun is a manadatory RC tool IMHO. The only way to evalaute.
Siicone Thermal pads do work. I have sheets of them. Cut to fit. Just not as efficient, but always better than nothing at all. It fills gaps better than thermal compound does in some cases.

Yeah HS compound works as long as the HS and motor Contact area is exactly mating. If not, I rather not use no HS at all. Which is in most cases. Trial and error dictates. Temp gun is a manadatory RC tool IMHO. The only way to evalaute.

Siicone Thermal pads do work. I have sheets of them. Cut to fit. Just not as efficient, but always better than nothing at all. It fills gaps better than thermal compound does in some cases.
Most my rigs have either a Castle or HW motor, so they have fins on the motor cans, and I use a fan mount to blow direct on the motor - no heat sink.

This is the only rig I have with a spectrum motor. Have been thinking of just getting a fan mount with no heat sink and blow directly on the motor.

Track rigs rarely if ever have HS on their motors. The better brands will even have an OE "waterfall" fan mount in place ready for a fan,. I follow that logic.
The motor's Can is already a HS by design.
I don't see how the extra mass of a HS between a Motor and Fan is thermally efficient.:unsure:
I think some brands like Arrma just use a HS for fan mounting purposes, and to "Look Trick", for Marketting purposes. On smaller 1/10 scale 36x xx motors, a HS alone may have an advantage running 2s lipos packs.. Not so with large 1/8 6s-8s motors. Notice than some 6s line models come with only a HS and no fan???? I wonder how or why HH/Armma decides. Maybe that's left up to the Bean Counters whether to add a $1.00 fan or not.
One would think a Fan mount alone is cheaper than supplying a HS. Even Having a CNC'ed Standoff machined at the Motor mount itself, as a fan mount, would be better, and cheaper to Mfr.

Last edited:
Track rigs rarely if ever have HS on their motors. The better brands will even have an OE "waterfall" fan mount in place ready for a fan,. I follow that logic.
The motor's Can is already a HS by design.
I don't see how the extra mass of a HS between a Motor and Fan is thermally efficient.:unsure:
I think some brands like Arrma just use a HS for fan mounting purposes, and to "Look Trick", for Marketting purposes. On smaller 1/10 scale 36x xx motors, a HS alone may have an advantage running 2s lipos packs.. Not so with large 1/8 6s-8s motors. Notice than some 6s line models come with only a HS and no fan???? I wonder how or why HH/Armma decides. Maybe that's left up to the Bean Counters whether to add a $1.00 fan or not.
One would think a Fan mount alone is cheaper than supplying a HS. Even Having a CNC'ed Standoff machined into the Motor mount itself, as a fan mount, would be better, and cheaper to Mfr.
Yeah - kind of my take. I really don't see how the HS is helping much if you have a fan blowing on the motor. I think I will run it, check temps - then just do a fan mount with no HS, and check the temps to compare.

A personal evaluation with temp gun in hand will dictate.
Let us know what you think.

I don’t use heat sinks for motors with finned cans: I use a fan mounted on a clamp-on type fan mount blowing directly on the motor. On my two 3s Arrma vehicles with flat motor cans I’m currently using the heat sinks that came on the motors, but with a 16,000 RPM fan.

Version 4.13

1664040069631.png

I'm running the print now..
Will do a final test fit as soon as the print is done and part cools down.

Photos will be provided soon.

Last edited:
Can we do a 35 to 50mm as well 😁

Could you let me know the dimensions of your 50mm fan or what brand it is? So I have something to reference.
Thank you.

The thermo pads would make it easier to install ONLY if the heatsink is one of those half moon types..

If the heatsink is like the kinds that just about completely wraps around the motor and forces you to slip it on , then using thermo paste would be more ideal..
Since a pad would just be pushed/scraped off the heatsink when you try to slip on a tight fitting unit onto the motor can.
+1

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back