How to solder tp motors.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure of your question, but, one can find the different size bullet connectors and silicone wire on Amazon and on line hobby stores. Use MM caliper to measure the size of the bullet connectors.

I think I understand what your asking and if so, solder a male bullet lead on the end and then use an extension cable to get to your ESC.

I used to solder my own extension cables for my tp motors but I hate soldering and doing the male bullets on the motors is enough for me lol. I buy extension cables from radiocontrolpower.

https://www.radiocontrolpower.com/product-page/6-5mm-male-to-6-5mm-female-motor-wire-extension

11$ for 3x male to female 6.5mm. I also learned recently that it's a great idea to heatshrink the bullets after you connect them. It helps stop bullets from coming loose. Not much of a probblem for on road cars but if you got a basher it can be a problem.

20220730_174251.jpg

Last edited:
You have cheap no good solder. Get GOOD solder. So much of it is junk.

You also need a really good HD solder gun. Not a cheap pencil. Takes lots of heat to get the 8mm bullet hot enough for solder to stick.

You have cheap no good solder. Get GOOD solder. So much of it is junk.
Tk955 is junk?

Let me refrained this.
I just can't get the copper to take.
I've never had a issue with soldering qs8 or 8mm bullet... done it many times. It's just that I never done copper. Dunno if it's hot enough

Did not say that. Two reason solder does not stick, cheap solder or too little heat.

Did you cut the motor wires or using the factory tinned ends? If you cut the wire shorter, that’s your problem. Motor wires have a coating on the wire itself. The factory tinned portion has this coating removed.

Did you cut the motor wires or using the factory tinned ends? If you cut the wire shorter, that’s your problem. Motor wires have a coating on the wire itself. The factory tinned portion has this coating removed.
I didn't. But it's a second hand. And they are definitely shorter

The cut wires can be tinned with solder. Has to be done before one solders them to anything else.

You can tell by looking at the bare wire ends. If you can see and twist the strands, the wires need to be tinned together.

You can tell by looking at the bare wire ends. If you can see and twist the strands, the wires need to be tinned together.
Motor wires have a ceramic coating to prevent shorting inside the can. It is not easy to remove and solder will not stick to the ceramic coating no matter what you do. The coating must be removed first.

Tinning is getting the wires hot enough that solder flows all the way through the wire. Takes a lot of heat. Now if you are talking about the wires inside the can, that is different. Wires from motor to esc are what I'm referring to. Once the wires are tinned or soaked with solder, the solder will flow and stick to the bullet connectors. I use a Weller Professional 260/200 solder gun. Takes a lot of heat. Get the gun tip good and hot and touch the solder joints only as long as needed. If you use to low of heat, it puts too much heat all the way down the wire and can cause other solder to melt.

Tinning is getting the wires hot enough that solder flows all the way through the wire. Takes a lot of heat. Now if you are talking about the wires inside the can, that is different. Wires from motor to esc are what I'm referring to. Once the wires are tinned or soaked with solder, the solder will flow and stick to the bullet connectors. I use a Weller Professional 260/200 solder gun. Takes a lot of heat. Get the gun tip good and hot and touch the solder joints only as long as needed. If you use to low of heat, it puts too much heat all the way down the wire and can cause other solder to melt.
I think you're misunderstanding what's going on. TP motors come with the 3 motor wires pretinned and ready to go. If you cut those tips of the wires off then you're left with the wire that has the protective coating over it. @real_name_hidden has a used tp motor where someone cut the tips of the motor wires off so he can't just tin it like a normal wire. He has to strip it of the coating first or the tinning process won't work.

I dunno why someone would cut the ends of a tp motor wire but that was sure kind of dumb. Especially considering tp motor wires are too short to begin with.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back