How to solder tp motors.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you're misunderstanding what's going on. TP motors come with the 3 motor wires pretinned and ready to go. If you cut those tips of the wires off then you're left with the wire that has the protective coating over it. @real_name_hidden has a used tp motor where someone cut the tips of the motor wires off so he can't just tin it like a normal wire. He has to strip it of the coating first or the tinning process won't work.

I dunno why someone would cut the ends of a tp motor wire but that was sure kind of dumb. Especially considering tp motor wires are too short to begin with.
Thanks for clarifying this out. 👍

Tinning is getting the wires hot enough that solder flows all the way through the wire. Takes a lot of heat. Now if you are talking about the wires inside the can, that is different. Wires from motor to esc are what I'm referring to. Once the wires are tinned or soaked with solder, the solder will flow and stick to the bullet connectors. I use a Weller Professional 260/200 solder gun. Takes a lot of heat. Get the gun tip good and hot and touch the solder joints only as long as needed. If you use to low of heat, it puts too much heat all the way down the wire and can cause other solder to melt.
Solder won’t stick to ceramic coated wire no matter what you do unless you get the coating off first. The only part of a motor wire that isn’t coated is the factory tinned section. If you cut that off, the rest is coated.

Looks like copper wire, do not understand the need to insulate each wire from the others as wires work together to carry the current. If you say they are coated, will take your word for it. One thing for sure, from my experience, the solder iron in the video is way to weak to produce enough heat to solder that size wire. A correct size solder gun will produce enough heat that the flux in the solder will clean the wires. As long as he held on the gun, the heat was going down into the motor. Not a wise ideal. That is based on my years of experience. If the wires needed cleaning, would use a small brass brush or solder paste that is designed to clean wire prior to soldering. I just cut damaged motor to esc wires, soldered in bullet connector with out issue. So not all motor wires are coated. As stated, do not understand why they would be coated as that means each wire has to work by it self. When they touch they form one large connecter much better suited to carry large current without each wire trying to over heat.

Looks like copper wire, do not understand the need to insulate each wire from the others as wires work together to carry the current. If you say they are coated, will take your word for it. One thing for sure, from my experience, the solder iron in the video is way to weak to produce enough heat to solder that size wire. A correct size solder gun will produce enough heat that the flux in the solder will clean the wires. As long as he held on the gun, the heat was going down into the motor. Not a wise ideal. That is based on my years of experience. If the wires needed cleaning, would use a small brass brush or solder paste that is designed to clean wire prior to soldering. I just cut damaged motor to esc wires, soldered in bullet connector with out issue. So not all motor wires are coated. As stated, do not understand why they would be coated as that means each wire has to work by it self. When they touch they form one large connecter much better suited to carry large current without each wire trying to over heat.
In this case you’re just not experienced in motor wires like this. We have been thru this many times and aren’t making stuff up. I’ve been soldering since the late 80’s or early 90’s and know how to solder.

As stated, will take your word for it. Even when it does not make sense to me. I go back to the 60's soldering. Just repaired and soldering bullet connectors between a HPI ESC and motor with no issues. Have had wires that needed to be dipped in solder paste to clean before solder would stick. Be a long time ago. Found a better brand of solder and have not needed the paste since. Biggest solder mistake is trying to solder without enough heat. Pencil solder irons do not produce enough heat for large wires. That is all I have to say on this subject. So much for trying to help a fellow rc.

The wire goes into the motor and makes contact with the other phases of the motor. The enamel coating makes them not conduct from 1 phase to another. That enamel coating must be stripped physically or mechanically before you can apply solder.

I tried and tried then realized what appeared to be just copper wire actually had a coating on it that you couldn't really tell was there until it was removed since the wire looked like a regular copper red-ish wire.

For further clarification of what magnet wire is:

https://www.remingtonindustries.com/magnet-wire/

Magnet wire is the term used to describe copper wire coated with an insulating jacket. This type of wire is used in electromagnets, transformers, Tesla coils, speakers, inductors, guitar pickups, and motors. It is available in many sizes, temperature ratings, and colors. One of the key reasons engineers choose magnet wire is that it allows multiple layers of wire to be wound together without short circuiting.

On a side note, I always use a mini blow torch for soldering bullets as a torch gets hotter than a soldering iron 👍🏼 ( and it's a lot easier )
I recently just got one of those butane torch things and I love it!! I started using it for bullets and it really does make it so much easier. Cut my soldering time in half.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back