I had an idea for some different body clips.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
High quality bicycle spokes should work I think :unsure: I use them for things and they are very springy
Best of all they won't rust...
Most spokes are chromed, as soon as you form them the chrome will flake off and oxidation will begin. Stainless is the way. I'm sure you can get SS spokes tho-

I'm curious, take a magnet to one and let me know.

Last edited:
shut up and take my money GIF by Product Hunt

Most spokes are chromed, as soon as you form them the chrome will flake off and oxidation will begin. Stainless is the way. I'm sure you can get SS spokes tho-

I'm curious, take a magnet to one and let me know.
What about titanium?

King blitz,
China has zero respect for our patents. Colors would be nice, but from a manufacturing view, anything that would provide longevity would not be viable. Even if you paint them, first time you flex it hard the paints coming off. And who doesn't like the look of SS?

A spring steel wire will just rust. SS is very springy. It's got a pretty high Youngs modulus.
Well everyone, judging by the reactions here I'll get on making some jigs and get these out to some other people for empirical testing. I get that it looks like a good idea, I've seen more than a few good ideas fail testing.
Yes china could care less on copy rights or pattents.they only matter here in the states..I agree.as for painting / or some other means on making that body clip in different colors I don't see a issue..plenty of body clips for sale that come in different colors already..just gives the customer more choices of customizing their rigs..I have yet to hear about anyone complaining on their painted body clips chipping paint or bending after a hard bash or normal bash.im sure it happens all the time and it's really not something to dwell on.its just a body clip and you can buy them in large amounts for cheap..as for the quality of how the paint was applied well that's on the manufacturer.i personally powder coated a few at work and they have not cracked .I did have to drill the opening in the posts to accomodate the thicker paint but all is well.where there is a will there is a way..I've lost so many body clips in the past .not during the use but more of my carelessness of misplacing them or falling out of my pockets .I'm clumsy lol

👆 There it is! The only people who care about patent laws is us.. it's futile to try to protect it... Just ride the wave while you can...😎👍
Here is a perfect example of how china gives 50 shits on respecting other people's inventions.. @Camaroboy383 I believe wasn't it you who made the cooling fan universal mount? I believe so and his awesome idea / product was duplicated and now being sold and they used his original pics..how dare them china men..still pissed me off when I see it on eBay..I send them messages to stop stealing others ideas.but it won't work

Yes china could care less on copy rights or pattents.they only matter here in the states..I agree.as for painting / or some other means on making that body clip in different colors I don't see a issue..plenty of body clips for sale that come in different colors already..just gives the customer more choices of customizing their rigs..I have yet to hear about anyone complaining on their painted body clips chipping paint or bending after a hard bash or normal bash.im sure it happens all the time and it's really not something to dwell on.its just a body clip and you can buy them in large amounts for cheap..as for the quality of how the paint was applied well that's on the manufacturer.i personally powder coated a few at work and they have not cracked .I did have to drill the opening in the posts to accomodate the thicker paint but all is well.where there is a will there is a way..I've lost so many body clips in the past .not during the use but more of my carelessness of misplacing them or falling out of my pockets .I'm clumsy lol
These clips have to bend a long way to come out of the holes, much further than hairpins do. And I'm one guy, I'm not going to make thousands. I don't see the demand and couldn't pocket that much stock to get stuck with. Thats saying they even work correctly in use. I'll make a few sets by hand and have people test them first, baby steps.

What about titanium?
Titanium? What would you charge for a titanium body clip? 20 dollars for one? Maybey if you make a few for your self but to actually mass produce your going to have to charge a lot.titanium is not cheap .would you even make money if you went this route? I doubt it.and who really would want to spend a lot on a simple body clip that's a tangible? I would just personally use oss material and powder coat them with one coat..you could even offer different size body posts with a larger hole to accomodate the thicker powder paint

What about titanium?
Ti is not as springy as SS and while they could be made to work, they would have to be much longer. These have to flex quite a bit to enter and exit the posts. Worth getting some to try with tho. All I have on hand is some 3/32 6al-4v. I'll talk to my supplier and see whats in stock.

Titanium? What would you charge for a titanium body clip? 20 dollars for one? Maybey if you make a few for your self but to actually mass produce your going to have to charge a lot.titanium is not cheap .would you even make money if you went this route? I doubt it.and who really would want to spend a lot on a simple body clip that's a tangible? I would just personally use oss material and powder coat them with one coat..you could even offer different size body posts with a larger hole to accomodate the thicker powder paint
A quick glance..almost $20 for a set. Thats forming by hand, and making very little. If my supplier has some i'll make a set to try.

Just thought of something.. wouldn't you need to make a bunch of different sizes for a bunch of different models of rc cars and trucks ? The one you showed us will only work on the cover your showing it on .I'm sure you already thought about this but but not every body cover is the same .that body clip design would need to accomodate different shapes and sizes.right now the clips that are offered are one size fits all..a 1/10 clip fits all 1/10 and a1/8 clip fits all 1/8 and so on..seems like you would need to make a lot of different sizes and lengths. You have a great idea and I hope it works out for you and hope to see it someday in the market someday.you have a lot of work ahead of you.

Yup @Tex Koder he is our 3d printing master here.im sure he can whip you up something that will be amazing
The jigs will have to be steel, it takes a fair bit to form the coil. I have all the stock, i just need to do the math and get on the mill.
Just thought of something.. wouldn't you need to make a bunch of different sizes for a bunch of different models of rc cars and trucks ? The one you showed us will only work on the cover your showing it on .I'm sure you already thought about this but but not every body cover is the same .that body clip design would need to accomodate different shapes and sizes.right now the clips that are offered are one size fits all..a 1/10 clip fits all 1/10 and a1/8 clip fits all 1/8 and so on..seems like you would need to make a lot of different sizes and lengths. You have a great idea and I hope it works out for you and hope to see it someday in the market someday.you have a lot of work ahead of you.
Yes sir, i put an edit in my original post about needing dimensions. Need MOAR dimensions. Aw crap, thats the same thing I tell the engineers most days. You would think I would need a break, but it's what I do, I make things.

It's the distance in between the posts that I need, not cl to cl.

A quick glance..almost $20 for a set. Thats forming by hand, and making very little. If my supplier has some i'll make a set to try.
20 dollars was just a example.i have no idea what you need to charge to cover your time and materials and make a profit..ik titanium is super expensive..at my work we have huge sand blasting cabinets/ wheel braiders .and our welders use them to sand blast the stock material before welding or tacking.and inside one of them we have what's called a tree.where they hang their parts on..we'll over time that tree would get completely sand blasted to nothing and we had to keep making them .so we had a process improvement implemented and had one made from titanium.it cost over 5k.and it's just a little taller than 5 feet high and 3 feet wide with bars 1 " thick ..not a big thing .so it's expensive.

The jigs will have to be steel, it takes a fair bit to form the coil. I have all the stock, i just need to do the math and get on the mill.

Yes sir, i put an edit in my original post about needing dimensions. Need MOAR dimensions. Aw crap, thats the same thing I tell the engineers most days. You would think I would need a break, but it's what I do, I make things.

It's the distance in between the posts that I need, not cl to cl.
Cool .but the wider you make these clips I think you would need to design something from keeping them from swinging from forward to backward motion.don't think a center spring would hold them in one position..just a thought

Cool .but the wider you make these clips I think you would need to design something from keeping them from swinging from forward to backward motion.don't think a center spring would hold them in one position..just a thought
A simple kant in the ends keeps them from swinging past center...for the most part. Can't be too much or you cant insert them.

We have had that titanium tree in our sand blasting cabinet for 1 year and it has taken a beating from the sand blasting grit.which is steel grit and that titanium tree has not changed at all.its still the same as when we put it in..that machine is on all day all night ..a investment well made. That's how strong that titanium is

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back