Kraton I think my blx 185 ESC just died?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harlon

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
hey everyone. So I was just working on my relatively new kraton, putting in a GKA servo mount. I just put a battery in and started messing with my steering duel rates and the esc fan started cutting in and put then just died all together. The esc is now blinking red. The truck definitely isn't over heated so I have no idea whats going on. Did my esc just poop the bed? The battery I was using isn't fully charged but it wasn't drained either. I tried charging it a bit just incase I was engaging lvc but its still dead and blinking. What happen? ?

hey everyone. So I was just working on my relatively new kraton, putting in a GKA servo mount. I just put a battery in and started messing with my steering duel rates and the esc fan started cutting in and put then just died all together. The esc is now blinking red. The truck definitely isn't over heated so I have no idea whats going on. Did my esc just poop the bed? The battery I was using isn't fully charged but it wasn't drained either. I tried charging it a bit just incase I was engaging lvc but its still dead and blinking. What happen? ?
How old is the ESC?

About 2 months. I only drove the truck 2 times in dry conditions
Yep I would call Horizon and get that swapped out. They are having lots of ESC issues right now. This is crazy.

Make sure it wasn't the fan that died only. Reset and re-calibrate esc in case it reacted to the fan flopping imo. Wont take but a minute and they'll ask you to do that anyway when you call.
I did try to factory reset it but the light never stopped blinking red. Should i try somthing else or does that mean the esc is shot?

I did try to factory reset it but the light never stopped blinking red. Should i try somthing else or does that mean the esc is shot?
Not sure. If you re-calibrated and it won't work I guess call em on the phone. You'd have a pretty rare situation with a bad 185 but I guess it could happen. No probs on my end but most of my stuff is v3. I'm interested to see what happens for sure. I know they'll help at HH.
What batteries? Plenty voltage? High C-rating?
Esc can run fine with no fan as they're not necessary to have together but under stress we need a fan on an expensive electric part. I'm curious if you could remove the fan lead, play with re-calibrating and if the lights get right, get a new fan and run it. Just curious and I'm thinking about it now because I enjoy the problem solving for least investment. lol I'm very curious now.

Last edited:
Not sure. If you re-calibrated and it won't work I guess call em on the phone. You'd have a pretty rare situation with a bad 185 but I guess it could happen. No probs on my end but most of my stuff is v3. I'm interested to see what happens for sure. I know they'll help at HH.
Esc can run fine with no fan as they're not necessary to have together but under stress we need a fan on an expensive electric part. I'm curious if you could remove the fan lead, play with re-calibrating and if the lights get right, get a new fan and run it. Just curious and I'm thinking about it now because I enjoy the problem solving for least investment. lol I'm very curious now.
Yea, I'm gana call them in the morning. I have a fly sky noble radio and it tells you how much power your reciever is pulling off the esc and battery. I watched the power bar for the reciever go up and down until it just died. Im no electrical engineer but I would probably guess one of the capacitors was faulty. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the input man ?

Yea, I'm gana call them in the morning. I have a fly sky noble radio and it tells you how much power your reciever is pulling off the esc and battery. I watched the power bar for the reciever go up and down until it just died. Im no electrical engineer but I would probably guess one of the capacitors was faulty. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the input man ?

I use the same radio for all my trucks and have never seen this. Weird and looking forward to what they say. ??

I know that @Lovestricken had a dud BLX185 recently as well. His had the same early LVC that the BLX100's are having. Arrma is having a QC issue with all their ESC's as far as I can tell.

Yes it does. It isn't a drop in but it works just fine.
15867074510222582028767979678056.jpg

Man that truck looks like a beast! ? gana go with the max6 I think. ?
Thanks . She takes a good beating lol. Yeah you might as well. Esc temps will stay way cooler and it will waken the stock blx up a bit. Plus it is 8s?
You can always check out my build for ideas. Ask if you have any questions.

I've had a few BLX185's go bad but I wouldn't call them junk. That said I do run Max6's and 4092 motors in my Talion and Kraton. The one bad thing about a BLX185 going bad is that it can take the servo and the receiver with it. Horizon will warranty those as well as long as they are Spektrum receivers and the stock Arrma servo. When mine went it took out the Savox servos I had in there and HH told me they couldn't replace them. I went through Savox though and they did warranty them both.

I've had a few BLX185's go bad but I wouldn't call them junk. That said I do run Max6's and 4092 motors in my Talion and Kraton. The one bad thing about a BLX185 going bad is that it can take the servo and the receiver with it. Horizon will warranty those as well as long as they are Spektrum receivers and the stock Arrma servo. When mine went it took out the Savox servos I had in there and HH told me they couldn't replace them. I went through Savox though and they did warranty them both.
Yea, I wouldn't call them junk either. All esc's can prematurely poop the bed. Even the best of the best. ??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back