I want to vent

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldgoat

Reaction score
This is going to be a long one

So… I want to be loyal or take care of who took care of me. Isn’t that what it’s about?

Anyway as a very young kid I got into a great rc hobby. There was a independent hobby shop that I spent my time and money in. The man that owned it in my opinion was a great person and a father to a toddler that ran around in his diaper. As a child I didn’t have much money but when I broke something this man spent time with me and showed me how to take it apart and fix it. There were times I found that I didn’t have enough cash to buy the parts but this man found a way to help a 11-12 year old out.
As I grew a little older I moved a distance away from ther hobby shop. As I was growing up I moved into the air with helicopters. I traveled to his shop to buy everything there. I knew what he had done for me.
Some thirty some years later the owner has passed. The toddler I saw running around in his diaper is now the owner. At this time oldgoat (me) is getting back into rc.
I want to support this shop and the man that took care of me, or at least his son.
BUT…..
I can’t stand going in there because of one employee. This yeti looking mofo is so arrogant and his stuff doesn’t stink. Tonight he just contradicted everything thing I sad. He told me I didn’t know what I was talking about. He then asked what car I had and I said Vorteks. He said shouldnt have bought that junk, but the store sells them. It’s not jus me I see him arguing wit other customers too.
On my way out I looked at a young man customer and said “some good customer service here huh?” He was kinda shocked and shook his head and just said wow.
What to do?

I’m thinking that I’m going to. Problem is the owner is there in the morning and I can only get ther in the evening. Plus I need to give it a day so I don’t go in there swearing an getting angry.
That yeti even gave me a hard time at check out. I wanted to use up a gift card and he demanded he knew the balance. Never had this any other place. Run the gift card and if it doesn’t cover all I pay the difference.
Not that hard. Even Wally World cashier handle it.

So… I want to be loyal or take care of who took care of me. Isn’t that what it’s about?

Anyway as a very young kid I got into a great rc hobby. There was a independent hobby shop that I spent my time and money in. The man that owned it in my opinion was a great person and a father to a toddler that ran around in his diaper. As a child I didn’t have much money but when I broke something this man spent time with me and showed me how to take it apart and fix it. There were times I found that I didn’t have enough cash to buy the parts but this man found a way to help a 11-12 year old out.
As I grew a little older I moved a distance away from ther hobby shop. As I was growing up I moved into the air with helicopters. I traveled to his shop to buy everything there. I knew what he had done for me.
Some thirty some years later the owner has passed. The toddler I saw running around in his diaper is now the owner. At this time oldgoat (me) is getting back into rc.
I want to support this shop and the man that took care of me, or at least his son.
BUT…..
I can’t stand going in there because of one employee. This yeti looking mofo is so arrogant and his stuff doesn’t stink. Tonight he just contradicted everything thing I sad. He told me I didn’t know what I was talking about. He then asked what car I had and I said Vorteks. He said shouldnt have bought that junk, but the store sells them. It’s not jus me I see him arguing wit other customers too.
On my way out I looked at a young man customer and said “some good customer service here huh?” He was kinda shocked and shook his head and just said wow.
What to do?
Next time he tells you that you don't know what your talking about, tell him who taught you about RC. Make sure his son is present when you say it.

BUT…..
What to do?
Do you have a relationship with the previous owner's son? I'd express the concerns with him. If he's a good owner and businessman, then he will address the issue and make it right. It's tough enough owning a hobby shop nowadays, so excellent customer service should be priority #1.

Good luck.

That sucks. As mentioned tell the new owner. I live around the corner from one of the oldest shops in the city. Went there a few times when I got back into RC and it isn’t what it used to be. The last time I went was probably about a couple years ago and I needed about 7-10 different screws. I wrote everything down and pulled out my list. After the first 3 I read off he handed me the bins that were behind the counter and told me to find them. I’ve never been back. Even on the phone they seemed annoyed. I found a LHS further from my house that’s owned by a husband and wife so I gave them a shot. Long story short, they have customer service like the old days and always greet me by name when I walk in the door, even if they’re with another customer. Needless to say I’ve spent thousands of dollars with them since.

BUT…..
What to do?
I think you should cave the Sasquatch’s face in for him. Give him a piece of the ole goat! 👍🏻

He was right about the vorteks though!! lol all jokes aside, you should definitely have a convo with the owner. It sucks because it's probably not so easy to replace him but if his customer service is that bad he's ultimately doing more harm than good.

BUT…..
What to do?

Write the owner a quick email or mail asking him to call you when it's convenient , regarding a/some poor custom service issue(s) that you experienced at his store.

Once he calls you can explain to him what's the matter (with that soon to be "ex" employee.)
Then touch on the fact of what his father did for you years ago and what you are wanting to do in return...
However his particular employee is making it Extremely difficult to want to continue to be a patron at his shop.
See what the owner says & how he responds.

Agree with a lot above. Tell the owner the great respect you had for his father and how he took you in as a young boy enjoying the hobby. Tell him you want to continue to do business there but the douche bag employee is driving you away. If he has any type of business sense he will confront and retrain/ replace the employee. If bad vibes continue, you must make a choice to continue to shop the store or take your business elsewhere.

Send the store an email, assuming the owner checks the emails. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, this kinda sucks for sure. Unfortunately, it’s been really hard for small businesses to find, much less keep help.

The sad reality is the owner may know the guy is a total ass-hat, but may have no other options.

Talking to the owner may at least create a “coaching” moment for the ass-hat yeti.

Yep that sucks. What an a$$hole.

I recently found out my local HS has not been adding my loyalty points to my account with each purchase and I've been spending thousands with them. I even buy stuff from them that's more expensive than other shops just to be loyal, support local business and gain points. I was and still am pissed. Still considering whether to boycott them or not.

Last edited:
The owner may be aware of the issues, but he might not have a choice regarding firing the employee. There might be a shortage of qualified employees in your area, and the owner might have to accept what he can get just to stay in business. Our local 50's Diner had to close after 37 years in business because the owner couldn't find qualified cooks or wait staff. He told me " No one wants to work anymore".

The owner may be aware of the issues, but he might not have a choice regarding firing the employee. There might be a shortage of qualified employees in your area, and the owner might have to accept what he can get just to stay in business. Our local 50's Diner had to close after 37 years in business because the owner couldn't find qualified cooks or wait staff. He told me " No one wants to work anymore".
You are absolutely spot on brother! It's a country wide problem.

Unfortunately, the LHS is just a charity case now. There really is no reason for anyone to shop at a LHS anymore. I can get something shipped from Amazon or Amain and it be here in 1-3 days with $0-$3 shipping. I can return 99% of it no questions asked. I really refuse to just pay extra to the local shop and be inconvenienced just so I can keep them in business. What other business do we do this with? I don't know about yall but I don't have that much money to burn. Inflation is killing us all.

I tried to support the local hobby shop when I got back into the hobby a few months ago. They told me they could get Arrma parts cheaper and faster than I could as an individual. I knew that probably wasn't true but I gave it try. It was fun to drive up there with my kid and look around. I ordered up a few hundred dollars in parts and they just never ordered them. A few weeks go by and I order some more parts to add to the previous order and talk directly to the owner. A month goes by and still nothing ordered. The owner was just sitting on the order so that he could place everything into some big Horizon order he was creating. Who in their right mind would wait 2 months for parts to arrive? I cancelled everything and created an Arrma-RC account and had my parts in 3 days with $5 shipping. I bought a wheel nut tool for $17 there and wound up seeing it on Amazon next day shipping for $6.

The sad part is the LHS is what got me back into the hobby. My son and I walked by one day and both got hooked on RC. However, it's not my job as one person in a country of 330 million to keep an industry alive by throwing cash at it.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back