In the mood for a rock crawler. Any suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love my Trx-4s and now my Gravedigger SMT10 but hands down the Axial stuff if expensive to buy and maintain..
I do have the Axial Wraith Spawn that is a riot to drive and crawl with but once again it has upgraded links and steering after literally the first run broke both uppers and the steering.

Here's some disturbing perspective on the $ pit nature of the smt10- in the past 36 hours I have sild

I have a Redcat Gen 8 P.A.C.K., an Axial SCX10.2 Jeep Wrangler CRC edition and an Axial Bomber kit, which has recently been discontinued.

My Redcat and my buddies both have steering issues. To get the binding to go away, we had to turn the steering WAY down to the point where it is 5 point turns to do a 90° corner. Some of them don't have the issue from what I've read but both of ours do.

My SCX10.2 has a lot of upgrades on it and looking back, I wish I would have gotten the Cherokee kit, not the builders kit, as the kit has a number of upgraded parts. Even though I've upgraded the crap out of this thing, I still love it and upgrades are easy as heck you find for it

My Bomber has a decent amount of upgrades and I'm happy that I got the kit version of that one while it was still available as the kit has some upgraded parts.

I'm currently looking for another scale kit to buy so that I can strip the Redcat of everything useful and scrap it. I'm torn between the new Element Enduro (hoping they come out with a kit soon) and a Traxxas TRX4 sport kit. My buddy has 7 TRX4 rigs, 3 SCX10s, a Demon and a couple of others (I've lost track of his lol) and he swears by the TRX4 and says that they are the best ones he's driven. I have a hard time supporting Traxxas though and that's why I'm thinking of waiting for an Enduro kit. Just my opinion though.
I will second this if going the Axial route, get the Cherokee kit not the rtrs.

And I know everyone is going to hate me for saying this but TRX-4 Bronco.

I always recommend the kits of everything too. You get to do it how you want, you know it's done right and you learn a lot about the vehicle. That motor and esc is my go to for my crawlers too. Performs better than stock but cheap so I don't have to care too much about it.

I think that the aftermarket is still better for the SCX10 over the TRX4, but the SCX also had like a 6 year head start lol. Finding aftermarket chassis rails for the TRX4 is still kind of a challenge while the SCX has over a dozen different ones. And when looking for the best stuff for crawlers, most of it isn't available in hobby shops or from Amain or anything. Some of it is, but a lot of it isn't.

I don't know if I'd necessarily say go scale. In my Bomber I put in the smallest pinion, largest spur and put the under drive diff kits into both axles and with even less aftermarket work it crawls better than my SCX10 with a bunch of stuff done to it. But finding aftermarket stuff for the non-scale stuff is definitely more troublesome. I'm hoping to eventually get an RC4WD Bully II as well, which isn't scale but it will probably out crawl most, if not all scale rigs.

I hear you on the expense though. I do have more into just my SCX than I do into my MT410. Probably close to double actually. But crawler rims and tires are just so easy to get lost in and you keep buying sets to try to see if they work better. They add up even when they are $40-50 for 4 rims and another $40-50 for 4 tires with foams.
I use the cheapo eBay 35t then the eBay 55t crawler motor in my SCX10-II, for the cost they work great, the 35t was kind of dogcrap on 2s so I stepped it up to the 55t and man that woke it up.
Redcat g 8 on order. Now blue or orange?
I ordered both ??‍♂️??
Orange.
If I get another crawler it will probably be the Gen8 but only if I can fit the 79 Bronco body on it.

I will second this if going the Axial route, get the Cherokee kit not the rtrs.

And I know everyone is going to hate me for saying this but TRX-4 Bronco.
I won't hate you for that. The TRX4 looks like a nicely built machine, which is weird saying that about a Traxxas lol. That said I don't really think that the portals are that big of a deal. My buddy with 7 of them, most of them pretty modified, doesn't go anywhere that I can't and I don't go anywhere he can't. So I don't think portals are really that huge of a deal.

If I was going to get a TRX4 though, it would be the chassis kit or sport kit as I see the stock Bronco everywhere I go, so its annoying and I'd never own that body. Same thing goes for the Blazer and Land Rover. Maybe I should just get both the TRX4 and Enduro and be done. Lol

I won't hate you for that. The TRX4 looks like a nicely built machine, which is weird saying that about a Traxxas lol. That said I don't really think that the portals are that big of a deal. My buddy with 7 of them, most of them pretty modified, doesn't go anywhere that I can't and I don't go anywhere he can't. So I don't think portals are really that huge of a deal.

If I was going to get a TRX4 though, it would be the chassis kit or sport kit as I see the stock Bronco everywhere I go, so its annoying and I'd never own that body. Same thing goes for the Blazer and Land Rover. Maybe I should just get both the TRX4 and Enduro and be done. Lol
I mainly want the body, my step-dad had a 79 Bronco when I was growing up and we had so many hunting, camping and fishing trips in that thing.

Between my son and myself we have owned 4 Broncos and my favorite on was my 79 that is why the Bronco body is on the Axial SMT10 chassis.
It just looks awesome..
I am so not a Traxxas fan but my TRX-4s are pretty fun.

Well thank you.
My wife wants a lime green Typhon so I feel your pain.

Traxxas summit has left the chat

Too big anyway. And I forgot how much they go for holy crap lol.

Traxxas summit has left the chat

Too big anyway. And I forgot how much they go for holy crap lol.

Idk my Summit can go go along the trails here much easier than the SCX10-II does. The Summit just goes over everything I have to drive the SCX10-II around.

Yup I'm pretty sure that I paid like $600 for mine back in the day.

Yup I'm pretty sure that I paid like $600 for kine back in the day.
Damn lolz. I’ll give a rip to the big block brushed motor community. Some of those people had some power houses. Dual 850’s I’ve even seen. I wonder if you put a huge brushed motor in a speed basher you can gear it up to actually go fast. I mean battery life would be god awful and temps would be through the roof but it’d be pretty badass.... back to the discussion.

Damn lolz. I’ll give a rip to the big block brushed motor community. Some of those people had some power houses. Dual 850’s I’ve even seen.
Mine is Arrma powered lol.
20181104_195852.jpg

I knew a guy with that system in his revo 1.0 lol. I tried it in mine out of my senton but the temps were just way too high.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back