Granite Jerry-rigged's Granite Mega 4x4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've kind of given up on tape. Right now I have it zip tied down to the top of the radio box. I picked up a pack of coax wire hold downs, and used those to hold the zip ties to the radio box. Also needed a few spacers under the ESC to help it sit straight on top of the cable ties. You can see this arrangement in my post above about fixing my steering. I really need to just 3D print myself a speed control mount.

Took the Granite and Siren out for a run. While getting set up, I noticed the front shock tower is cracked. I gave it a wiggle, and decided to run it anyways... ? this was mostly a wheels on the ground run, so I figured it would be fine (spoilers, it didn't break)

Midway thru the run, the slipper loosened up, ending the run. Probably lucky there, as when inspecting the slipper, I found the motor mount screws had also loosened up quite a bit. Luckily, the spur was still undamaged... after opening up the slipper, it looks like I also have a slipper without the internal spring.... reassembled, and hopefully it wont blow before i can get the parts.

Oh, and for now, I CA'ed the shock tower. Hopefully it will hold a few runs...

20190322_175906.jpg

Is there a center diff option for the 1/10th vehicles? I really like having that in my stampede now that I'm running 3S. Takes some of the strain off the driveline/diffs and allows you to have a lot of power/speed as well as control as the rear tires catch up with the front.

Nope, (not yet)

Would be nice if they could shoehorn one into the rumored 4s 4x4 models...

Running both trucks (Granite and Siren) side by side was interesting. The center diff in the the Siren was probably a bit lite (125k), so zero wheelies. But (on 4s) it launched like it was shot out of a slingshot. Granite (on 3s) once at speed it had plenty of legs to keep up, but any solid throttle pull had it's front wheel pointed at the sky, so hard acceleration was out. Siren had a lot more steering too, if there was any throttle. Granite had to be nearly coasting to really turn good.

The one for the stampede doesn't hold up well if you don't run an alloy cup, which I do, and it seems to be holding up well to 3S at least. I have mine geared so it's probably topping out around 45mph.

If traxxas can make one... arrma can. ;)

Took the granite out for a short run Saturday afternoon. My boy had his kraton, and we went to a local retention pond. About two minutes in, I snapped the rear shock Tower, on a tumbling pass that would have made an Olympic gold medal gymnast blush. Funny though, that front Tower that's been cracked for half a year still hasn't completely broke.

Guess it is time for a teardown to replace both shock Towers.

20191012_191238.jpg

Took the granite out for a short run Saturday afternoon. My boy had his kraton, and we went to a local retention pond. About two minutes in, I snapped the rear shock Tower, on a tumbling pass that would have made an Olympic gold medal gymnast blush. Funny though, that front Tower that's been cracked for half a year still hasn't completely broke.

Guess it is time for a teardown to replace both shock Towers.

View attachment 50828
Nah, that'll buff out.

Started the tear down. Realized I have not had it apart since t did the BLX3s conversion. Truck is a mess... lol.. found one more broke u-joints and another that had lots of slop, would break soon, for sure. Also, the front skid plate was broke - it had a donut snap off around a screw... lol.

Welp, off to amain to order parts. Or maybe JRC.

Broke parts line-up-
20191015_200551.jpg

Sloppy u-joint-
20191015_200533.jpg

Lots to clean...
20191015_201509.jpg

How the diff doing after a year of use?

I think I am still on my first set of BLX diffs. They went in shortly after I put the 3660 motor in. The MEGA diffs didn't last long with brushless power, but the BLX diffs seem to hold up well.

I think I am still on my first set of BLX diffs. They went in shortly after I put the 3660 motor in. The MEGA diffs didn't last long with brushless power, but the BLX diffs seem to hold up well.
Good to hear i think what made my diffs fail on my kraton 4s so many time might then be the grease or too havey diff fluid inside my diff
Kinda made me hate on the car my hobbyshop was like another diff whats happening to your car? And i repeat my silly story about the sun gear dying
My front diff was on 30k fluid and sun gear is a bit worn but not much enough worn to have a little gear mesh bought the sun gear just in case running thick silicone grease with 10k since the last time i ran rear diff still brand new same time i checked(10k). And its a bit quieter now than when i was using marine grease i found marine grease a bit too much liquidy and i did a little experiment removing the shock tower in the front connecting the central driveshaft and powered the car at low speed and i saw how the grease was flowing troigh the crown gear so nicely did not experiment on the marine grease tho

Mine only get lubed from the 10k that leaks out of my diffs... LOL. Yeah, I can't keep oil inside my diffs for some reason.

I do try to put some white lithium grease on the crown gear, but these days, it gets washed off pretty quick buy the diff oils.

Finally got around to rebuilding my Granite. After Easter, I ordered the new Arrma CVD sliders, and those came in a few days ago, so I decided it was time.

This morning-
20200424_074915.jpg

got done before dinner. Had to clean most of the plastic parts, had new shock towers to install, new bearings, the new driveshafts, and a T-bone bumper up front. My Tactic radio got installed in my Tekno bug at some point this spring, so I broke out one of my old V1 ATX100 radios for the Granite. Works.

20200424_152701.jpg

He Lives!
20200424_155534.jpg

It will be nice running this one again. Been down too long.

Annnnnd BOOM! another diff bites the dust... Let my little girl drive my Granite tonight, and she thought it was funny watching the truck "Dance" - that is make it cartwheel, then WOT as it bounces along... Yeah, the diffs don't like that.

She also broke a wheel off her Turnigy/Acme MMT in a high speed fight with a chain link fence. Yes, Broke. It. Off. My son's Kraton 6s also lost that battle with the fence, but only popped a pivot ball... LOL

Only RC to LVC (Twice!) was my 1/16 Turnigy/Acme Truggy, driven by my 11yo boy. How he didn't break it is beyond me, he was driving like a madman... LOL.

Wrenching time... JRC, here I come...

Jerry

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back