Kraton Jim's Kraton 6s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's tough to see the net without a few more pictures, but it looks like you have HR aluminum diff covers front and rear, correct? Those are the most important bits, more than the diff cups, more than the housings. If that cover flexes or moves you strip a ring and pinion.

It's tough to see the net without a few more pictures, but it looks like you have HR aluminum diff covers front and rear, correct? Those are the most important bits, more than the diff cups, more than the housings. If that cover flexes or moves you strip a ring and pinion.
Sorry for the late reply: I didn't see your post until today. After some of these pics were posted I replaced both front and rear gearbox and sway bar covers with the Hot Racing aluminum covers. The front gearbox is still the stock composite one, but the rear was replaced with the Hot Racing aluminum one.

Sorry for the late reply: I didn't see your post until today. After some of these pics were posted I replaced both front and rear gearbox and sway bar covers with the Hot Racing aluminum covers. The front gearbox is still the stock composite one, but the rear was replaced with the Hot Racing aluminum one.
The HR covers seemed to fix it for me. I am now rebuilding with full EXB diffs and cases but will keep the HR aluminum covers. Be careful of the fit of the HR covers, it has to fit perfectly. I had to do a bit of sanding on my rear composite diff case to get a good fit.

The HR covers seemed to fix it for me. I am now rebuilding with full EXB diffs and cases but will keep the HR aluminum covers. Be careful of the fit of the HR covers, it has to fit perfectly. I had to do a bit of sanding on my rear composite diff case to get a good fit.
I carefully checked that the diffs weren't loose in the gearbox after I installed the HR covers. I did have to realign the front cover after I first put it in place.

Do you find the HR cases are machined to better tolerances than the composite stoc cases?
Yes, the tolerance are very tight. And they don’t flex.

Stock cases aren’t machined, they are molded. Tolerances on molded parts are generally not going to be as tight as machined parts.

Here is the latest configuration of my Kraton 6s. I doubt I will add any more upgrades unless something like the steering bell cranks gets sloppy.

Radiolink R6FG 6-channel receiver
Hot Racing (HR) aluminum front and rear chassis braces
HR aluminum center diff support
ARRMA aluminum and steel center diff case
HR aluminum gearbox, rear
HR aluminum gearbox covers, front and rear
HR sway bar covers, front and rear
HR aluminum front and rear hinge pin mounts
ARRMA EXB front and rear shock towers
ARRMA EXB shock standoffs
HR aluminum servo mount
Powerhobby 729MBL servo
HR aluminum 25T servo arm with fixed link
Jim’s Bearings bell crank bearings
HR aluminum steering blocks
HR aluminum rear axle carriers
Castle Mamba Monster X 8s ESC
PPS aluminum switch mount for Castle Monster X 8s ESC
Castle 250mm sensor harness
Castle 1717 1650kv sensored motor
Tekno 18T Mod 1 hardened steel pinion gear with large grub screw
Powerhobby 40mm aluminum Tornado fan
Powerhobby aluminum clamp-on fan mount
6” EC5 battery extension cable
Dboots Backflip 6s wheels and tires
HR closed wheel nuts, black
HR wheelie bar with rubber tires on ball bearing wheels
RPM front bumper
RPM rear skid plate
Generic rear mud guards

This past Sunday I added the PPS motor mount, diff support, and center diff cover to my Kraton 6s. Here's how my Kraton stands now:
Radiolink R6FG 6-channel receiver
Hot Racing (HR) aluminum front and rear chassis braces
HR aluminum center diff support
ARRMA aluminum and steel center diff case
HR aluminum gearbox, rear
HR aluminum gearbox covers, front and rear
HR sway bar covers, front and rear
HR aluminum front and rear hinge pin mounts
ARRMA EXB front and rear shock towers
ARRMA EXB shock standoffs
HR aluminum servo mount
Powerhobby 729MBL servo
HR aluminum 25T servo arm with fixed link
Jim’s Bearings bell crank bearings
HR aluminum steering blocks
HR aluminum rear axle carriers
Castle Mamba Monster X 8s ESC
PPS aluminum motor mount
PPS aluminum center diff support
PPS aluminum center diff cover for roll bar
PPS aluminum switch mount for Castle Monster X 8s ESC
Castle 250mm sensor harness
Castle 1717 1650kv sensored motor
Tekno 18T Mod 1 hardened steel pinion gear
6” EC5 battery extension cable
Dboots Backflip 6s wheels and tires
HR closed wheel nuts, black
HR wheelie bar with ball bearing wheels
RPM front bumper
RPM rear skid plate
Generic rear mud guards

Better pic of the HR wheelie bar, and pic of new EXB black body with Horizon and Spektrum stickers removed.

View attachment 193607

View attachment 193608

Coming soon: Castle Mamba Monster X 8s with Castle 1717 1650kv motor.
I usually end up removing the stickers because they always start to peel off anyway. EIther the sticker glue is cheap or they are placed on the body in dusty conditions??:unsure:

Recent update on my Kraton build: I am replacing the ugly red Arrma EXB shock towers I got from Jenny's with M2C Racing shock towers, and I am replacing the Hot Racing black aluminum chassis braces with M2C chassis braces. Not that I needed the new parts for the way I run my Kraton (no huge jumps), but they look so much better and add a bit more strength. I finished installing the front shock tower and chassis brace tonight, and I hope to get the rear shock tower and chassis brace installed tomorrow. It's nice that M2C provides the drill needed to enlarge the 3mm hole on the steering deck to accommodate the 4mm fastener used with the front chassis brace.

M2C front shock tower Kraton.jpg

I bet you could have got 2 brand new kratons with the money you've spent on that. mine's stock and been sent a lot over the last nine months only changed the stock chassis braces same for same

Back