Typhon Jim's Typhon 3S V3 Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrjr71

The Old Guy
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
  4. Infraction 4x4
I've just started on my Typhon 3S V3 build. So far I have added a Radiolink RC6GS radio system; a Power HD 25kg waterproof aluminum-bodied servo with Kimbrough 123 25T servo saver; Hot Racing (HR) aluminum steering bellcrank; HR aluminum steering blocks; HR aluminum rear hubs; and Duratrax Bandito tires on Duratrax 8 spoked wheels (for running on pavement). I have Pro-line Racing PowerStroke shocks that I will be installing after I purchase the correct weight of shock oil, and I have Hot Racing aluminum pivot balls coming in the mail next week. I plan on replacing the stock motor mount with a Hot Racing motor mount when they get back in stock. I'm sure I will find more things to change as I get more familiar with the vehicle (I've only had it about two weeks).

Sounds like it is going to be a blast! I love my Banditos, but be sure to vent them! I haven't used the Proline shocks, but be aware, if the bore and valving is different than the stock ones, you may have to experiment to find the right shock oil weight and preload settings

I'm sure there will some experimentation involved to get just the right shock oil weight and preload settings. I do have a couple of different weight shock oils on hand, but I'm missing the one I want to start out with. Hopefully I'll be able to get what I want later today at the local RC shop.

I just finished getting the Proline PowerStroke shocks installed: now I have to get them dialed in. Hopefully I can get some pics this weekend.

Got the HR aluminum C Hubs early this afternoon and got them installed. I also began installation of the HR aluminum pivot balls, starting with the suspension turnbuckles. I'll finish installing the pivot balls as I get more time: the Proline shocks came with metal pivot balls, so I won't have to replace them.

Here's a quick pic. Most of the upgrades can't be seen, except for the Proline PowerStroke shocks and the Duratrax Bandito tires and wheels.

Typhon 3S.jpg

I liked them on pavement, but they are no good on grass (the only two places I can run right now). The Trenchers have proven to be surprisingly good on pavement, and great off road. And because they are wider, I get far less tipping in high speed turns. For strictly pavement running without a lot of tight turns, the Banditos are ideal.

It's been awhile since I updated my build post. I now have a Surpass 3670/2850 motor with 18T pinion, powered by a Spektrum Firma 120A 4s-capable ESC I got as a new take-off from an Axial Ryft. I'm using the heatsink and fan that came with my Typhon, and it fits perfectly. The Surpass motor has more torque than the stock motor, and both it and the new ESC run cooler than the stock components. I'm really happy with this setup.

I've had the Hot Racing aluminum diff yokes for several months, and I just never felt the need to install them in my Typhon 3s. The diffs as they came from the factory have been flawless so far, but I wanted the additional stiffness the HR yokes provide to reduce potential gear wear from the diff yokes flexing. I had some free time, so I decided to finally tackle the job, which was a lot easier than I had anticipated.

https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Racing-ATF11Y02-Aluminum-Differential/dp/B07MPZCTK2/ref=sr_1_2?crid=32V5UT4ZQOT3F&keywords=hot+racing+diff+yoke+arrma+3s&qid=1640697773&sprefix=hot+racing+diff+yoke+arrma+3s,aps,76&sr=8-2

Last edited:
since your car inspired me, just came here to say i did the same and the car feels so much better now power wise
I also replaced the rear differential with the CNC metal one since it usually takes more abuse. I also was running with the Zd racing shocks for about a year and half. They are a pain to try to get work. I replaced the springs on them with the Outcast springs and had to 3d print some spacers to limit the travel in them. I just did some light bashing in my front yard for the first time in about 9 or 10 months. One of the shock shafts bent and another was leaking. I am going to give the stock springs another chance so I ordered a set from Jennys rc. I had just as much luck with them as the Zd racing and they are easier to replace. I also have several spare parts for them should I happen to break any.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back