Limitless JoshJosh’s build - Mods and Batwings, and other 3D printed parts for Limitless

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m printing with the flat/top of the wing on the print bed. The tolerances are sharp. I spent quite a bit of time dialing them in, I appreciate you noticing! The .4mm nozzle at .24 layer height is currently the sweet spot. I’m about to switch to a higher grade pc-cf and try .6mm nozzle at .2mm layer height. Here's a shot of the underside.
1678568011361.png

I’m printing with the flat/top of the wing on the print bed. The tolerances are sharp. I spent quite a bit of time dialing them in, I appreciate you noticing! The .4mm nozzle at .24 layer height is currently the sweet spot. I’m about to switch to a higher grade pc-cf and try .6mm nozzle at .2mm layer height. Here's a shot of the underside.
View attachment 284646
Looks good. What printer are you using? If any, what upgrades? For sure enclosed but what else?

Last edited:
View attachment 284646

You sir have your gear calibrated real tight. 🦍👊

Are you printing in an enclosure/tent also?

Just a small suggestion though..
If/when a wreck occurs and the wing/hinge gets damaged.. Would the end user be able to snap those hinges back together? At those tight tolerances..?

Would it be advantageous to perhaps make that wing-hinges two parts instead and use a rod to lock them in place.. (those thin push rods from RC airplanes.)

Last edited:
So the hinge is intergraded into your wing? Not separate right?
View attachment 284646
Never mind .this photo answers my question.this is very cool.thats a incredible design.ill have to go to a local hardware store or craft store and see if I can find very tiny hinges to install on two peices of plexiglass.

If/when a wreck occurs and the wing/hinge gets damaged.. Would the end user be able to snap those hinges back together? At those tight tolerances..?

Would it be advantageous to perhaps make that wing-hinges two parts instead and use a rod to lock them in place.. (those thin push rods from RC airplanes.)
That's a great idea also.👍😁

Last edited:
Looks good. What printer are you using? If any, what upgrades? For sure enclosed but what else?
Thanks! I’m using a Creatbot F430 with both .4 and .6 nozzles from Diamondback Nozzles (best I’ve found) on a CF print bed. It’s a beast!

Appreciate it!
Unfortunately, it’s not possible to just replace that single part with this design, the knuckles are completely printed around the hinge pin. That is a good idea though, I could also remove the printed pin to make room for it. So far, I’ve found the parts printed in PC-CF to be incredibly strong, but they also have a good amount of give. I can bend them a good amount without them breaking, and they go right back to the original shape. The Priline Superhard PC-CF has less give before it snaps, it’s also not one of the stronger PC blends. The Prusament and CarbonX PC blends are the best. The F430 also has the ability to print in PEEK, which as you probably know is stronger and lighter than aluminum. I could always explore that (I have rolls of PEEK on standby) if someone wants a super tough model.
Here's a shot of them as separates.
1678577194889.png
1678577222127.png

Thanks! I’m using a Creatbot F430 with both .4 and .6 nozzles from Diamondback Nozzles (best I’ve found) on a CF print bed. It’s a beast!

Appreciate it!
Unfortunately, it’s not possible to just replace that single part with this design, the knuckles are completely printed around the hinge pin. That is a good idea though, I could also remove the printed pin to make room for it. So far, I’ve found the parts printed in PC-CF to be incredibly strong, but they also have a good amount of give. I can bend them a good amount without them breaking, and they go right back to the original shape. The Priline Superhard PC-CF has less give before it snaps, it’s also not one of the stronger PC blends. The Prusament and CarbonX PC blends are the best. The F430 also has the ability to print in PEEK, which as you probably know is stronger and lighter than aluminum. I could always explore that (I have rolls of PEEK on standby) if someone wants a super tough model.
Here's a shot of them as separates.
View attachment 284693View attachment 284694
Now that’s a sweet setup. I’m a metal fabricator by trade, so print in place stuff is sweet to me. Also, PEEK is a sweet filament. Expensive, but sweet. Have you ever used any?

Now that’s a sweet setup. I’m a metal fabricator by trade, so print in place stuff is sweet to me. Also, PEEK is a sweet filament. Expensive, but sweet. Have you ever used any?
I never have. I bought a roll of PEEK+CF when I got the printer, and it’s been sitting in a drawer haha. After reading about PEEK+CF people were saying you really need a heated chamber of 150c, and the F430 only does 70c. I just got some PEI filament I intend to try though. It is a good amount cheaper, reportedly easier to print without warping, and close in strength.
I’ve always been interested metal fabricating, have you tried any of the metal 3D printers?

Last edited:
I’ve always been interested metal fabricating, have you tried any of the metal 3D printers?
No, I don’t have access to that. My shop has 2 cnc machines, but I do a lot of manual labor, using things like drill presses, welding, band saws, chop saws, that sort of thing. I would love to, I’ve done lots of research on them. Do you have a clue where I could see them? I’m only 15 years old, so still unable to go places without parents.

No, I don’t have access to that. My shop has 2 cnc machines, but I do a lot of manual labor, using things like drill presses, welding, band saws, chop saws, that sort of thing. I would love to, I’ve done lots of research on them. Do you have a clue where I could see them? I’m only 15 years old, so still unable to go places without parents.

Reach out and check your local college or university campus at their technology departments.
Also touch base with trade schools..

These places would have such machines AND they are setup for young people/students to be near or have direct access to said metal printers ,ie: contracts with the printer manufacturer for Support & replacement Parts when/if such students accidentally break/jam said machines; proper insurance premiums 😉
; Assistant TAs to help in its operation and daily maintenance.

I wouldn't bother Commercial businesses to use their metal printers even if they have them.. Because of reasons listed above that they would not have coverage.

Last edited:
Reach out and check your local college or university campus at their technology departments.
Also touch base with trade schools..

These places would have such machines AND they are setup for young people/students to be near or have direct access to said metal printers ,ie: contracts with the printer manufacturer for Support & replacement Parts when/if such students accidentally break/jam said machines; proper insurance premiums 😉
; Assistant TAs to help in its operation and daily maintenance.

I wouldn't bother Commercial businesses to use their metal printers even if they have them.. Because of reasons listed above that they would not have coverage.
Thank you very much! I’ll be making calls this week!

Thank you very much! I’ll be making calls this week!

You're basically killing Three birds with one stone by doing the calls now..

1. You find out which local colleges/universities have Advanced Technology departments.
2. Will find out who those department Professors/Administrators are and get on their radars - cause they are always on the lookout for young potential students/talents.
3. Probably get to use such printers Because you are currently apprenticing in the industry AND showing great initiative to be actively calling/approaching these institutions. 👍

More power to you!
Young man ,You will go far in life. 👊

I absolutely agree with what Tex Koder said. There’s a college nearby me that does the same thing. I don’t know if they have a metal 3D printer, but they do have a 3D printing department used for teaching.

If you don’t already, I would definitely recommend to start playing around with a CAD program, I’d suggest Fusion360. Fusion360 is free, and it’s made by AutoDesk, the same company that makes AutoCAD. There’s cool plug-ins people make to design your own aerofoil and test aerodynamics. It’s really fun.

I absolutely agree with what Tex Koder said. There’s a college nearby me that does the same thing. I don’t know if they have a metal 3D printer, but they do have a 3D printing department used for teaching.

If you don’t already, I would definitely recommend to start playing around with a CAD program, I’d suggest Fusion360. Fusion360 is free, and it’s made by AutoDesk, the same company that makes AutoCAD. There’s cool plug-ins people make to design your own aerofoil and test aerodynamics. It’s really fun.
I actually have F360! Thank you very much! My first time ever welding was actually at a local community college. I don’t know much yet, I’m getting down basic shapes and trying out some other things. If you have certain things you think I should work on I’d love to hear it.
You're basically killing Three birds with one stone by doing the calls now..

1. You find out which local colleges/universities have Advanced Technology departments.
2. Will find out who those department Professors/Administrators are and get on their radars - cause they are always on the lookout for young potential students/talents.
3. Probably get to use such printers Because you are currently apprenticing in the industry AND showing great initiative to be actively calling/approaching these institutions. 👍

More power to you!
Young man ,You will go far in life. 👊
Thank you very much. Words that truly fuel me to work harder! I’ll let you know what I find out. It may take a bit though, i got home from florida today and leave for St Louis tomorrow morning, so I’ve been quite busy. Still trying to get school done on top of that is tough.

Thank you very much. Words that truly fuel me to work harder! I’ll let you know what I find out. It may take a bit though, i got home from florida today and leave for St Louis tomorrow morning, so I’ve been quite busy. Still trying to get school done on top of that is tough.

Luckily You are Young!
PLENTY of Boundless Energy and can recover pretty damn quickly I'm sure.

Your path in front of you is Limitless!!!

I reamember the good ole days of being 15..😁

I actually have F360! Thank you very much! My first time ever welding was actually at a local community college. I don’t know much yet, I’m getting down basic shapes and trying out some other things. If you have certain things you think I should work on I’d love to hear it.

You’re ahead of where I was at your age. Good work, and keep it up!

I think if someone told 15 year old me I could design and print my own Lego’s, I would’ve been a 3D designer instead of in IT haha.

Haha! I don’t care for legos too much anymore, but I love 1:1 cars and rcs.
Yea something about them for me, I’ve got the pneumatic sets, the electric motors, and the Mind Storm (robotic) sets. Over 40lbs worth! My daughter is still too young to really play, but she’s already getting into Lego’s chest and picking up screw drivers to help me wrench on my RC’s. I’m loving it.
A15556DE-BE40-4F71-AD1E-14B9CACD2928.jpeg

Back