Just got a max8 2200kc combo in a trade, what to put it in?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be better in like a typhon or maybe a talion, but not a kraton. They are too heavy and it’ll tend to run hot. This is 100% opinion but I feel like anything above 1900kv is too high for a kraton.

Last edited:
I was going to write out a long detailed post but you beat me to it lol. It may run a little hot with the 2200kv and the heavy kraton truck in grass especially. I personally wouldn't do it. I would get a big and long can motor with lower kv from the get go if I were getting an EXB. That motor would do better in a lighter vehicle as stated like the typhon.

yes that's better and you can gear it to your liking until you are happy with temps to performance ratio if ya know what I mean.

What about using the max8 with a 1650kv motor for the kraton?
I have a max 8 and 4082 1740 kv in my outcast exb .. works well and doesn’t get warm on 15t pinion. 👍🏻

Fits nice too:

A883F6D7-A233-4CE1-9985-2067FD1E15EB.jpeg

Last edited:
Best for Lim, Infr or Felony. 2200kv is a bit too high for any heavier rig and with big MT tires in the rough. (Running 6s) I run a HW 2200 kv in my Lim.
I believe you have the 4274SL 2200kv motor in that combo??

@SrC yes it’s the 4274, I have been wanting to get another EXB so I figured I’d at least make the esc work and maybe buy a lower kv motor for it. Hmmmm decisions lol
Like @L3phturn stated, if you just want an EXB kraton ,You can make it work. Run a 12/13 pinion. Its not the best motor for the rig though. The ESC is where the money is. A good enough motor until you get a1650 something. That motor is great, may run hot though in off road. I specifically got it for my Lim. Because I run 6s with it. A different animal. And even on 4S is fast enough. I needed good fans,.
I wouldn't go higher than 2050kv running 6s on a Kraton.

Last edited:
That's what I had on my Kraton EXB. Had a 15T pinion on it. It ran fine until I installed a heatsink that wasn't form fitting to the motor and I ran it in tall grass. I think the heatsink was the culprit.

I swapped motors from my mojavified Outcast with 2.8 badlands. So now it has a stock blx2050kv 14T with no heatsink or fan. Hits 55mph roughly and no heat issues.

I'm looking at swapping motors again since one of my rigs is without a motor due to my speed runner build.

Might end up buying a Leopard 4282 2000kv 110amps. Has less amp draw compared to the HW 2200kv. Still running it with the Max8. I'll re-gear to hit 55mph which I think is plenty fast for me

That's what I had on my Kraton EXB. Had a 15T pinion on it. It ran fine until I installed a heatsink that wasn't form fitting to the motor and I ran it in tall grass. I think the heatsink was the culprit.

I swapped motors from my mojavified Outcast with 2.8 badlands. So now it has a stock blx2050kv 14T with no heatsink or fan. Hits 55mph roughly and no heat issues.

I'm looking at swapping motors again since one of my rigs is without a motor due to my speed runner build.

Might end up buying a Leopard 4282 2000kv 110amps. Has less amp draw compared to the HW 2200kv. Still running it with the Max8. I'll re-gear to hit 55mph which I think is plenty fast for me
Yeah the 2200kv HW will want 160 amps at full ON. Much heat. The final drive, MT tires included with an EXB will keep things hot with 6s.
The motor at 48k rpms will get hot. Unless geared right. This motor is no torque monster. Just very tall legs.

Yeah the 2200kv HW will want 160 amps at full ON. Much heat. The final drive, MT tires included with an EXB will keep things hot with 6s.
The motor at 48k rpms will get hot. Unless geared right. This motor is no torque monster. Just very tall legs.
Yeah makes sense. Before switching motors, I was running it on 4S, less RPM so less heat and it ran great!

I think the Leopard motor will be perfect for my setup. Longer can, Kv similar to the Blx it has right now, and the lower amp draw.

Once the copperheads wear out, gonna buy some LP backflips for it or see if I can pull the tires off the rims and buy the LP backflips tires with foam

Yeah makes sense. Before switching motors, I was running it on 4S, less RPM so less heat and it ran great!

I think the Leopard motor will be perfect for my setup. Longer can, Kv similar to the Blx it has right now, and the lower amp draw.

Once the copperheads wear out, gonna buy some LP backflips for it or see if I can pull the tires off the rims and buy the LP backflips tires with foam
You mentioned it runs great on 4s. 👍 A 1/8 track Truggy would run this setup(motor) on 4s. 4s is the limit for sanctioned racing. This motor would be fast on the track for sure.
BTW, I hate my C head2's. They didnt last long anyway. They will probably rip apart before you wear them out. I did 2 sets real fast. And they felt very clumsy as MT tires go. Unpredictable traction. BFlp's 👍 👍

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back