Mojave K.I.S.S. Mojave EXB Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the body mount supports printed up, also in Ninjaflex 85A. 100% infill this time. This filament is a little challenging to print with - very flexy and hard to feed through the extruder. Basically have to back off the extruder wheel tension to as light as it can get, and turn off any retraction settings.

Light dusting of snow on the ground overnight, and will be taking the MEXB out for its first run here in a few minutes!

bzUo4Tb.jpg
j71Bhks.jpg
Ugklqn3.jpg

WOW this truck is awesome! Put two packs through it this AM, one 4s and one 6s. Snowy parking lot, wide open grass field, frozen/snow-covered baseball diamond, and a local sledding hill that is still mostly dirt. The Mojave handled amazingly in stock form - stock shock oil, preload collars set fairly loose so the suspension is very plush, stock springs. Hard to photograph/video while driving at the same time, but got a few captures that I thought were neat.

Given the plush suspension w/ lots of travel, this thing just floats over the bumps. Lots of body roll when cornering, which only serves to make it look even cooler. I would love to get some track time on this thing, but may have to resort to setting up a simple track on the grass field one of these days. Pretty sure all the outdoor tracks are closed now ⛄

poBMbFc.jpg
nEbRo5D.jpg

More snowy running today. Managed to break a body mount, but maybe not in the way most people seem to break them. The fact that everyone recommends adding foam to the gap makes me think that these usually break somewhere in the "hoop" section, but mine broke on one of the "tabs" circled below. Maybe just due to cold temps, who knows.

Definitely need to get those Scorched fenders installed... this thing gets CAKED full of snow and dirt. I was also happy to figure out I can easily transport this car on the deck of my Surly Big Fat Dummy - the wheels are just wide enough apart to straddle the seat pads on the deck.

1704742459236.png

rpa9mA0.jpg
CH7Zxo8.jpg
rxQzYdS.jpg

Last edited:
More snowy running today. Managed to break a body mount, but maybe not in the way most people seem to break them. The fact that everyone recommends adding foam to the gap makes me think that these usually break somewhere in the "hoop" section, but mine broke on one of the "tabs" circled below. Maybe just due to cold temps, who knows.

Definitely need to get those Scorched fenders installed... this thing gets CAKED full of snow and dirt. I was also happy to figure out I can easily transport this car on the deck of my Surly Big Fat Dummy - the wheels are just wide enough apart to straddle the seat pads on the deck.

View attachment 341543

rpa9mA0.jpg
CH7Zxo8.jpg
rxQzYdS.jpg
Aren't they soo much fun to drift in the powder snow?! I took my Xmaxx out for a lil drifting and snowbank jumping yesterday. About 3" worth of snow on my driveway, was a blast! Till the Arrma pinion gear spit 4 teeth that is,LOL. Weird, was basically a brand new pinion about 6 battery packs ago.. oh well. Needs a bigger pinion anyway. My Xmaxx chassis was packed front to back with snow just like ur Mojo.😁👍👊

Aren't they soo much fun to drift in the powder snow?! I took my Xmaxx out for a lil drifting and snowbank jumping yesterday. About 3" worth of snow on my driveway, was a blast! Till the Arrma pinion gear spit 4 teeth that is,LOL. Weird, was basically a brand new pinion about 6 battery packs ago.. oh well. Needs a bigger pinion anyway. My Xmaxx chassis was packed front to back with snow just like ur Mojo.😁👍👊

Oh yeah, this thing is a blast in the snow :) I feel like I don't even need to go that fast to have fun, just long, smooth, and controlled power slides all day long.

Interesting to note about the X-Maxx... maybe a mesh chassis cover is more effective for snow running 🤔

Oh yeah, this thing is a blast in the snow :) I feel like I don't even need to go that fast to have fun, just long, smooth, and controlled power slides all day long.

Interesting to note about the X-Maxx... maybe a mesh chassis cover is more effective for snow running 🤔
Yes, love snow bashing myself!! I'd imagine a cover would keep most of the snow out, but it needed a bath anyways, LOL. Usually a couple snow bash/thaw cylcles gets them pretty clean!
Those Scorched fenders should work wonders for ya. The Mojo is a proverbial vacuum cleaner!!🤣🤣

I've got a new set of body mounts and some (cautionary) suspension arms on order from Jennys, but in the mean time I figured I'd try repairing the broken body mount.

Initially used the toothpicks and a dab of superglue to hold the two pieces in place while the epoxy cured, but after filling the channel with epoxy I realized I could maybe use a couple lengths of paperclip to help reinforce. I should have just used the paperclip to start with instead of the toothpicks, but oh well. We'll see how it holds up. Also would have been good to add reinforcement to the top side. Started mixing the epoxy before I had a solid plan in mind... hindsight is 20/20 🤓

VvoSgpm.jpg
acJ1Ud7.jpg

Well, my body mount repair didn't even last one session :ROFLMAO: Ordered up some new body mounts and spare A-arms from Jennys. Also got Scorched fenders, rear axle guards, and a generic "amazon special" mesh bag mounted up.

I only plan to use the mesh bag during the winter when ambient temps are around freezing and snow is on the ground. I figure in the summer I will be OK with just the fenders.

Quick note on the Scorched fenders - I had the stock screws pull straight through the plastic material on my Infraction. I now use washers underneath the screw head and nut to prevent that from happening. 100 pack of stainless M3 washers is very cheap and goes a long way.

tNYbmAB.jpg
CPX3QC2.jpg
vEkrCaC.jpg

Took my buddy out to a frozen lake yesterday. Started him off on a 4x4 Slash VXL on 2s, then handed over the remote for the Mojave. We'll see if he's hooked yet...

hOdiUWH.jpg
5cjhMdh.jpg
BgCbsX9.jpg

I've broken both the front and rear bumper mounts now. The front is broken on only one side and is holding up OK due to the flexible bumper inserts I printed right off the bat. But I never made any inserts for the rear, and on my last outing I broke the rear mount on both sides, so the entire rear bumper assembly was pretty floppy (only held on at that point by the bottom skid plate). So I 3D printed a new bumper mount out of TPU (Fiberology Mattflex 40D) using these files I found on Thingiverse.

Looks to be a good design and feels very beefy. We'll see how it holds up. Printed with 90% infill which I think is part of what led to it warping and lifting slightly off the build plate during the print.

SMsZUmd.jpg

Also used my Integy tire balancer for the first time and balanced the Mojave tires with some modeling clay. We'll see if that makes any difference in handling. Hopefully it at least helps with bearing/suspension component wear.

Last edited:
Back