Mojave K.I.S.S. Mojave EXB Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arise0185

Rig of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave EXB
Hey everyone, I guess I'll start my first "build" thread. Been part of the forum for a few months at this point and have learned a bunch from all of the wonderful members here (and have hopefully passed on some good knowledge as well).

I recently picked up a NIB Mojave EXB roller from fellow forum member @JuanOrez (great seller to work with, FYI). As far as previous RC rigs go, I've had a Vortex 3s, TRX-4M, 2wd Slash (racing), XRAY XB2 (racing), and an Infraction v2. I really enjoyed the size and power of the Infraction, but felt fairly limited by its low ride height. The Mojave seemed like a step in the right direction - I don't want to or need to go full send, don't need to do flips, etc. Just want to drive fast over rough terrain, and look good while doing it :cool:

So, with that said, I sold the Infraction as a roller and kept the Motor/ESC/radio. I'm planning on keeping this build pretty simple and low frills (Keep It Simple Stupid!). I know there are nicer motor/ESC combos than the stock Spektrum 150a stuff, and there are tons of mechanical/durability/bling factor upgrades I could make. But I want to keep this as low budget and reliable as possible for now, and will upgrade parts as needed. Although, from what I've read about the Mojave (and especially the EXB), it's a pretty stout rig to begin with, so hopefully there won't be too many breakages in the near future.

Purchased so far:
  • Mojave EXB roller
  • Scorched RC fenders
  • AGFRC 40 kg waterproof servo
  • Flysky GT5 TX/RX
  • Spare green Mojave body from Ebay
  • Can of black Flex Seal to do some light body reinforcement

I admit the extra green body was a bit superfluous. But the black EXB body is SO PRETTY, and I really don't want to get it all scratched/ripped up while bashing. Plus this will be my first time attempting to reinforce a body, so I figured might as well pick up the green body that I can not feel too bad about wrecking, and then keep the EXB body for photoshoots and shelf display. But who am I kidding, I'll probably end up driving the black body anyway.

Work done so far:
  • Inspect all 3 diffs (oil fill looked a teeny tiny bit lower than specified by the manual, but honestly not by that much). And I bet if all the oil that clings to the top cover was allowed to drip down into the diff housing, the fill level would have been perfect.
  • Check diff meshing. Everything felt OK and I didn't add any shims, but I will check again after running a handful of times. Quick note on removing the front/rear diff covers - the included manual doesn't mention this, but I absolutely had to remove the plastic hinge pin retainer cover before I could get the diff cover off.
  • Install Spektrum 150A motor/ESC combo from Infraction V2 using included 16T pinion. The heat sink orientation had to be flipped on the motor so the heatsink and fan could clear the side guard and center chassis brace, and also so the heat sink clip was oriented at 90 deg instead of straight down, which would cause the clip to interfere with the chassis.
  • Add window screen to Motor and ESC fans. Even driving on pavement, I noticed little pieces of gravel getting stuck in the fans on the Infraction. I think I saw the window screen trick somewhere on this forum.
  • Install servo. Note - I read online that some people had received their kits with a 23T servo horn, so I ordered a servo that came with an aluminum horn. However upon receipt I realized my kit shipped with a 25T servo horn, so now I have a spare. All good!

Body reinforcement plan:
  • Early on I decided I didn't want to go the full shoe goo + drywall tape route. However, I do want the body to last a while, and I have observed some weak points on my slash bodies.
  • I'm not totally decided yet, but I think I'll selectively reinforce certain areas of the body with drywall tape and spray with Flex Seal. Mostly didn't want to bother with gooping on the Shoe Goo, and I think the spray-on application of Flex Seal will make things a lot faster.

ciFlaLT.jpg

nB6QJyq.jpg

Size comparisons:

Just for fun, I took some photos of the Mojave next to the Infraction V2 (albeit without its wheels) and my 2wd Slash. The Mojave is HUGE!

W0AN8Wk.jpg
KZIF5sH.jpg
V4wuCCq.jpg
KpzcnSg.jpg

Last edited:
I've done shoe goo with mesh, but prefer to use gorilla tape. Seems to hold almost as good and doesn't stink like shoe goo.

The stock motor/esc will is fine, you might be a little limited on how high you can gear it in the summer, but still enough power to have a good time.

Great looking easy build. I normally do drywall tape and Lexel (same as shoo goo but it comes in a caulk tube) but I haven’t bothered to do my Mojave body. The size and all the crevices make it seem like a waste of time on that one.

I truthfully think the Mojave doesn’t really benefit from a stupidly over powered set up. I’ve got a max6 with a surpass 1580kv in mine and it seems to me to be a lot of unneeded, unusable power.

I've done shoe goo with mesh, but prefer to use gorilla tape. Seems to hold almost as good and doesn't stink like shoe goo.

The stock motor/esc will is fine, you might be a little limited on how high you can gear it in the summer, but still enough power to have a good time.

I was debating using gorilla tape as well. Seems like people have had good luck with it. I'm not too concerned about needing/wanting to gear up for higher speeds. Well, I say that now... :LOL:

Great looking easy build. I normally do drywall tape and Lexel (same as shoo goo but it comes in a caulk tube) but I haven’t bothered to do my Mojave body. The size and all the crevices make it seem like a waste of time on that one.

I truthfully think the Mojave doesn’t really benefit from a stupidly over powered set up. I’ve got a max6 with a surpass 1580kv in mine and it seems to me to be a lot of unneeded, unusable power.

I was looking for a caulk tube alternative to shoe goo. E6000 came up in my searches, but locally I could only buy a case of that stuff! Lexel is in stock at my local HD, though. Maybe I'll return the Flex seal and try the Lexel instead.

How is the Mojave body holding up for you without any reinforcements?

M2C Hub Extenders

Anybody have any thoughts on whether these are strictly necessary? As stated above I'm not looking to put down a ton of power, and my original plan was to just run the stock hexes and see if I had any issues. But now I'm starting to waffle whether I should spend the $$$ up front to avoid potentially destroying a set of expensive wheels.

Last edited:
Got my Flysky GT5 in the mail today. Very nice for such a cheap radio. Mounted up the receiver in the receiver box, calibrated the ESC, set steering servo end points, and adjusted camber and toe-in (roughly).

Also received the Scorched fenders, so we'll see if I can allocate some time today to get those installed. Once my spare body arrives (hopefully tmrw), I'll be ready to run this rig for the first time!

I would maybe suggest that you take out the 2x button heads on the top of the motor mount & replace them w/ cap heads. Lot less likely to strip out. Very simple, good job otherwise

Funny that you should mention that, I had the parts on my desk so decided to swap them out now!

2x M4 socket head cap screws, 0.7mm pitch, 18mm length
2x M4 washers

a1fffjD.jpg

Started reinforcing the green body yesterday. Washed with dish soap, drywall tape on front lip, side skirts, fenders, and selective parts of rear area. Hot glue to tack things down in places, but apparently I didn't do a good enough job with the hot glue. As soon as I started spraying the flex seal, parts of the drywall tape lifted up.

Will do another round of hot glue before spraying the next layer of Flex Seal.

I took a gamble by not masking anything before spraying. I figured that A) this body is gonna get beat up anyway, and B) the Flex Seal sprays fairly directionally with heavy particles, so it will be pretty easy to control overspray. After the first coat, it's looking pretty clean on the outside.

KPYAzEc.jpg
s6oRvXB.jpg

Edit: That last picture makes it pretty obvious where I laid the drywall tape. If anyone has any input on where additional reinforcement might be beneficial, I would appreciate the input!

Last edited:
Nice build!👍 I went low budget with mine too, I just like seeing how much I can get for the least coin..I feel the stock Firma system is plenty capable, all depends on where and how we use them. Mojo doesn't need much for servo, 35kg seems plenty, it has a quick feel in the steering even with a cheap servo I find.
I never actually did any reinforcement on my Mojo body. Made 2 years with just a few cracks which I just taped up with black Gorilla duct tape. Enjoy the Mojo bro!! 👌😎
Edited..
I would recommend reinforcement from the horizontal piece you already have (behind the rear window area) all the way back to the rear of the body. That rearmost section seems the most vulnerable to cracking in my experience.

Last edited:
Take a single layer of fiberglass tape and try to tear it, think it’s doing anything for keeping polycarbonate from cracking??

The flex tape/spray is certainly better than nothing, the Mojave body is one of Arrma’s toughest assembly. The weak points are the front and rear quarter panels and any pillar on roof landings.

Enjoy 😊

Last edited:
Take a single layer of fiberglass tape and try to tear it, think it’s doing anything for keeping polycarbonate from cracking??

The flex tape/spray is certainly better than nothing, the Mojave body is one of Arrma’s toughest assembly. The weak points are the front and rear quarter panels and any pillar on roof landings.

Enjoy 😊
I've questioned the effectiveness of the tape myself. Tried it, made a mess, moved on. LOL
I agree though, the Mojo body is durable, outta be considering the heft.😬 but yeah, I just buy, bash,break..repeat.😉🤣

Enjoy 😊

Fair enough :LOL:

I've questioned the effectiveness of the tape myself. Tried it, made a mess, moved on. LOL
I agree though, the Mojo body is durable, outta be considering the heft.😬 but yeah, I just buy, bash,break..repeat.😉🤣

I suppose bodies are cheap enough on Jennys when they're available. Especially considering they come with roll cage and driver insert. But $140 for just the bare shell is a little expensive for my tastes 🤑

Fair enough :LOL:

I suppose bodies are cheap enough on Jennys when they're available. Especially considering they come with roll cage and driver insert. But $140 for just the bare shell is a little expensive for my tastes 🤑
For sure! Everything has gotten soo expensive. Not knocking you by any means for trying to make it last longer.. I can totally relate. I just found it more hassle than worth for me. That's all.✌🍻
I've been using combinations of duct tape and hot glue. It peels off pretty quickly but does stop some of the trash can rattling noises for a while at least, LOL.

For sure! Everything has gotten soo expensive. Not knocking you by any means for trying to make it last longer.. I can totally relate. I just found it more hassle than worth for me. That's all.✌🍻
I've been using combinations of duct tape and hot glue. It peels off pretty quickly but does stop some of the trash can rattling noises for a while at least, LOL.

Haha no worries, I didn't take it as such. Everyone has different opinions and personal experiences, and you presented yours very respectfully (y)

I designed and printed out some inserts for the front bumper. Printed using Ninjaflex 85A at 20% infill, and I think they have too much "give" to be of any use. I can compress them to about 30% of original thickness just using my fingers. But maybe that's enough to act as a compression limiter, so the bumper can't flex all the way and bottom out? I'll probably try printing again at a higher infill percentage. Hoping that's a good way to tune the stiffness. Happy with the fitment, though, so feel free to check out the file on Thingiverse if you want to print some up yourself. Or if anybody wants, I could print and ship them for you more or less at-cost. But I'm not trying to run a 3D printing business here ;)

eW6UklR.jpg
Qfr20uu.jpg

I also found these body mount inserts on Thingiverse, which I will try printing next.

I designed and printed out some inserts for the front bumper. Printed using Ninjaflex 85A at 20% infill, and I think they have too much "give" to be of any use. I can compress them to about 30% of original thickness just using my fingers. But maybe that's enough to act as a compression limiter, so the bumper can't flex all the way and bottom out? I'll probably try printing again at a higher infill percentage. Hoping that's a good way to tune the stiffness. Happy with the fitment, though, so feel free to check out the file on Thingiverse if you want to print some up yourself. Or if anybody wants, I could print and ship them for you more or less at-cost. But I'm not trying to run a 3D printing business here ;)

eW6UklR.jpg
Qfr20uu.jpg

I also found these body mount inserts on Thingiverse, which I will try printing next.
Might be good since it's really just there to "assist" the bumper spring? Nice work!! I have printers, no CAD abilities though..printers have been collecting dust since 2020.

Might be good since it's really just there to "assist" the bumper spring? Nice work!! I have printers, no CAD abilities though..printers have been collecting dust since 2020.

There are some very accessible CAD programs out there! Check out OnShape - totally free, cloud-based (so you don't need crazy hardware to run it), and lots of good video tutorials.

There are some very accessible CAD programs out there! Check out OnShape - totally free, cloud-based (so you don't need crazy hardware to run it), and lots of good video tutorials.
Sounds like what I need.. I'll check it out, thanks!!
I tried freeCAD, between my lack, and my PC's lack..forget about it!!🤣🤣

Sounds like what I need.. I'll check it out, thanks!!
I tried freeCAD, between my lack, and my PC's lack..forget about it!!🤣🤣

As an experienced CAD user (through work), FreeCAD is... challenging 🤣

Back