Kraton Kraton EXB rear diff blown again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd throw a V4 diff in the rear and wait for HH to have parts before I bought 8 complete diffs from Jenny's ?

Well shoot. Ted only had one diff to send me, not the two that I ordered, so they had to settle for Malibu instead of Maui. ??‍♂️??

Its clear that the diffs need the support internal of the lsd plates, no rocketsience when we see the lip under the sungear.

EDIT: And if they still breaks, then its simple as to soft plastic in the xup, like the old TTMT4-G3, that needed alu cuos due to flexing cups.

Last edited:
Its clear that the diffs need the support internal of the lsd plates, no rocketsience when we see the lip under the sungear.

EDIT: And if they still breaks, then its simple as to soft plastic in the xup, like the old TTMT4-G3, that needed alu cuos due to flexing cups.
Will definetly buy the metal cups once available

I've blown two gear sets with the following shimming:

FIRST SET

- lasted 3.5 batteries, easy driving mostly on grass
- broke when accelerating on grass

Cupside
4x ARA709059 (shims bent to a plate shape, as the bottom of the cup is concave)

Gearside
2x ARA709060
2x ARA709059 (larger shims against the gear)

SECOND SET

- lasted 1.5 batteries, harder driving
- broke when accelerating on asphalt

Cupside
1x ARA709060 (smaller shim against the cup, tried to fix the concave bottom by using the smaller shim against it)
3x ARA709059

Gearside
1x ARA709060
3x ARA709059 (larger shims against the gear)

6s, 22t pinion, Hobbywing Max6 + 4985

The factory shimming (1x ARA709060, 2x ARA709059) had a lot of play, so I didn't try it.

I don't see how this diff could be shimmed to last. Maybe pin shaving could help here, but it would make the pin weaker. I'm currently waiting for 2x LSD plates, hopefully they will make this diff solid.

Last edited:
I'm currently waiting for 2x LSD plates, hopefully they will make this diff solid.

Same here, i have not even tested my car, since the reading. And when i look at it, how it is designed, cant see how it would last without the lsd support..

I've blown two gear sets with the following shimming:

FIRST SET

- lasted 3.5 batteries, easy driving mostly on grass
- broke when accelerating on grass

Cupside
4x ARA709059 (shims bent to a plate shape, as the bottom of the cup is concave)

Gearside
2x ARA709060
2x ARA709059 (larger shims against the gear)

SECOND SET

- lasted 1.5 batteries, harder driving
- broke when accelerating on asphalt

Cupside
1x ARA709060 (smaller shim against the cup, tried to fix the concave bottom by using the smaller shim against it)
4x ARA709059

Gearside
1x ARA709060
4x ARA709059 (larger shims against the gear)

6s, 22t pinion, Hobbywing Max6 + 4985

The factory shimming (1x ARA709060, 2x ARA709059) had a lot of play, so I didn't try it.

I don't see how this diff could be shimmed to last. Maybe pin shaving could help here, but it would make the pin weaker. I'm currently waiting for 2x LSD plates, hopefully they will make this diff solid.
Yeah I don’t think anyone is even trying to run an open shimmed diff at this point. You will need LSD plates or shims the size of plates.

I feel like your spamming this thread. Do you work for arrma? Lol I've invested almost 2gs Canadian in the exb and after 2 runs with stock specs it's been sitting on my shelf because of broken rear diff. I wouldnt be as upset if arrma honored their warranty. For me customer service and warranty is a joke as they stoped responding to my emails. But I'm not done with them because their are laws that protect a consumer.

In my opinion arrma should release a statement acknowledging the problem and a commitment to a real fix.

Arrma basically left it up to the community to try to figure it out and I especially appreciate the people reporting the problem and coming together with creative suggestions.
I totally agree with you.Arrma and Horizon have ignored me too! They really should at least attempt to make it right but have refused. On the other hand I’m glad everyone keeps posting their problems and Solutons.
I put the three lsd plates in mine and so far it’s holding, but it does not drive like a regular open diff. My rear spins out or traction rolls more often even with thin oils. Have any of you guys noticed this after adding the plates?

I totally agree with you.Arrma and Horizon have ignored me too! They really should at least attempt to make it right but have refused. On the other hand I’m glad everyone keeps posting their problems and Solutons.
I put the three lsd plates in mine and so far it’s holding, but it does not drive like a regular open diff. My rear spins out or traction rolls more often even with thin oils. Have any of you guys noticed this after adding the plates?

Did you remember to not use the friction plate? Its still 3 LSD plates each side but no friction plate . Because it's supposed to act like open diff with out it. Also , for warranty submitting a new email request instead of continuing old one if not getting anywhere worked for me.

Yeah I don’t think anyone is even trying to run an open shimmed diff at this point. You will need LSD plates or shims the size of plates.
I'm running totally open shimmed diff no LSD plates, test run will be tomorrow weather pending..!!
I have shims the same size as the LSD plates ? if it works I will post up specs etc ??

I’m running a plain ol’ shimmed stock open diff in the rear. Held up so far, but I’m running stock-ish power (Hobbystar 4076 1700kv 6S). Full punch. Makes me wonder if they ever tested this truck with more than the stock 2050kv.

Last edited:
I'm running totally open shimmed diff no LSD plates, test run will be tomorrow weather pending..!!
I have shims the same size as the LSD plates ? if it works I will post up specs etc ??
This is something I’m really interested in.

Did you remember to not use the friction plate? Its still 3 LSD plates each side but no friction plate . Because it's supposed to act like open diff with out it. Also , for warranty submitting a new email request instead of continuing old one if not getting anywhere worked for me.
Yeah I’m using three star plates each side . I’ll try a new submission. Thanks

My shims arrived, they are the same size as the star plates...? once built I'll post up if they work.
Selection of 40 with varying thicknesses cost me like £10/$15'ish ??
Where did you order them from? I'm struggling to find anything for mine as all parts are out of stock

I have bad news...
C1F7D96B-A8F6-43CA-8C3F-96AC79EE5D0C.png
it was supposed to arrive the 31 of august my honnyshop said they have an horizonhobby order the 3 september coming i hope they have the lsd plates
Horizon wwebsite now says september 2020
I was able to put 3 shims on my front diff and diff is tight like i wanted the rear i had to force it to hold 3 shims and its not enough i think the diff cup tolerances are just off making the open diff fail even with the appropriate amount of shims i have a ton of play on the sun gears and drivecups
Where did you order them from? I'm struggling to find anything for mine as all parts are out of stock
Amazon
I think

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back