Kraton Kraton EXB rear diff blown again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you read my post in the original exb diff thread. I had to shave the pin on both sides and put about 1.0 in each side. Instantly it felt smooth like the front and center for the first time. Haven’t had a problem since.

I think you read my post in the original exb diff thread. I had to shave the pin on both sides and put about 1.0 in each side. Instantly it felt smooth like the front and center for the first time. Haven’t had a problem since.
How did you or what did you use to shave your pin? Are you installing the star plates and shaving the pins?
How did you or what did you use to shave your pin? Are you installing the star plates and shaving the pins?
Do you think the pins ( 2.25) from v4 diffs would work? Right now I’m running 3 star plates on each side and it holds but the diff feels and drives like it has thicker oil 7000 is whats in it but it feels like 30000
Im running 60/v4-500/7 in my v4s I usually run 60/500/30 with aluminum cups
I really want someone to come out with aluminum exb cups! The new cups seem weak and inconsistent from one to the other

Last edited:
Lol! I've been doing the same thing; stocking up on parts! I've bought 2 diffs from JRC, one is in the truck and the other is on the shelf, and I have a set of gears on the way as backup. No diff plates though. I've been through a half dozen bashing sessions now and rear diff is still running strong. I probably should open it up to inspect.

Lol! I've been doing the same thing; stocking up on parts! I've bought 2 diffs from JRC, one is in the truck and the other is on the shelf, and I have a set of gears on the way as backup. No diff plates though. I've been through a half dozen bashing sessions now and rear diff is still running strong. I probably should open it up to inspect.
You will hear it starting to click before it gives.

I would have probably done the 3 star plates if you could get them. I pulled the diffs apart 15 times and tried different combos and I blew 2 diffs shimmed “correctly”. You could tell they never felt the same as the front. I realized I need more shims but couldn’t fit them. Shaved the pin just barely flat on one side so I could add more shims and problem solved. I used a grinder but a dreamel will work. You don’t need to grind much.

6F7A7ED4-3866-4E23-9EA4-E5BA9AA18844.jpeg

Just to be clear, you have to shave the pins to get more shims behind the sun gear, but that has nothing to do with LSD plates. The plates stay outside of the shims and pins and support the outer edges of the sun gears.

Yes exactly. The problem is 90% of the people can’t get the lsd plates. I really really don’t wanna run the plates either, I want a totally free spinning open rear diff. I want to try the 3 star discs only and see how it compares to a fully open rear.

also I don’t think sand paper will work. it is pretty hard but more importantly I don’t know how you would hold the pin and sand it perfectly flat. Not impossible but I’m not so sure about it either.

So I'm a bit late to the party on this one, health has been in the crapper but getting better. Anyway, I've been wanting a Kraton for a bit and it seems like the exb might fit. My question is to those that bought one, are the diffs. that bad that I should wait, or would you still buy one today knowing what you know. Any other issues with these? Thanks in advance.

@Adawg
Are there any pictures of the shaved pins for a reference? Do you need to shave both pins, or is just the cupside enough? What is the required total shim thickness for a durable diff?

---

Anyway ordered a center diff off ebay, going to salvage slip plates from that. Maybe it will be a decent enough stop gap solution with minimal friction configuration and thin silicone oil. Could I even use grease instead of silicone oil to bring the diff closer to open one, or is this a bad idea?

My question is to those that bought one, are the diffs. that bad that I should wait, or would you still buy one today knowing what you know.
Don't get put off by all the bad, just buy it you won't regret it..??
No issues with mine so far ?

So I'm a bit late to the party on this one, health has been in the crapper but getting better. Anyway, I've been wanting a Kraton for a bit and it seems like the exb might fit. My question is to those that bought one, are the diffs. that bad that I should wait, or would you still buy one today knowing what you know. Any other issues with these? Thanks in advance.
It really is a great truck as soon as you deal with the $5 parts to shore up the rear diff. I would for sure buy again.

I don’t have pics but the next time I take them apart I will take some. Your not the first to ask. You need to shave both but the cup side is tighter. I couldn’t even get the correct 3 shims in Hahahaha. I was like are you kidding me.

I would buy this car again. This is just something that needs to be done. I drove 20 packs with no problems and then I blew it 3 times in a row. Even though some haven’t had problems yet it’s just luck. The mesh feels like poop compared to the middle and front. When you shim it right it’s like a ahh haa moment it just feels perfect.

After all the reports of rear diff problems, I fitted the LSD plates before my first run . have had 6 good runs on 6s and so far so good. running a hobbywing max 6 combo 1650 kv with 23tooth pinion. I know some guys don't like the LSD in the rear diff. but tis but a basher

Ok, this might be a dumb question but I heard the spur gear on these were different than the RTR's and wanted to double check before I bought some pinions. So, dumb question, are they?

Ok, this might be a dumb question but I heard the spur gear on these were different than the RTR's and wanted to double check before I bought some pinions. So, dumb question, are they?
Yes these are different gears. The spur gear, ring gears and diff pinion gears are all specifically for the 29mm LSD diff cup

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back