Kraton Kraton EXB rear diff blown again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's probably a tiny difference because of the holes in the disc vs. the sun gear which is pocketed, but... ?‍♂️ If you move the disc to the top you have the mated disc sliding instead of the sun gear. But it's still only one thing sliding, all you're doing is covering the sun gear with the disc instead of having it grip directly against the star plate.

If you've ever used a 3 pad slipper clutch, it's the same thing.

Try moving the disc up against the sun gear, you'll find it drops the LSD action by more than half.
Oh I do have the disc on the sun followed by two star plates to the outside. It’s still pretty locked for my taste. Maybe it will loosen up with use or heat, but as it stands now, I will keep trying to open it up some more, either with thinner fluid or swapping the discs for stars. I’m basing all of this on the experience of others at this point because I simply don’t have enough star plates to even try it yet. My plan is the get a solid few bashes in this setup before making any other changes. If this setup holds then I have two choices that work. The shimmed V4 held up too.

@razorrc .. what would happen if you used plain washers the same size and thickness as the star plates..??
Would that be a truly fully open diff..?

It's be pretty close to what jondilly is running. Probably a little better because you don't have all those little holes causing the fluid to shear as they slide against each other.
Oh I do have the disc on the sun followed by two star plates to the outside. It’s still pretty locked for my taste. Maybe it will loosen up with use or heat, but as it stands now, I will keep trying to open it up some more, either with thinner fluid or swapping the discs for stars. I’m basing all of this on the experience of others at this point because I simply don’t have enough star plates to even try it yet. My plan is the get a solid few bashes in this setup before making any other changes. If this setup holds then I have two choices that work. The shimmed V4 held up too.

IMO, it's about 2x what an open diff is. Are you still running 10k? IMO, it's about equivalent to running 20k with the setup you have in the rear diff.

It's be pretty close to what jondilly is running. Probably a little better because you don't have all those little holes causing the fluid to shear as they slide against each other.

IMO, it's about 2x what an open diff is. Are you still running 10k? IMO, it's about equivalent to running 20k with the setup you have in the rear diff.
Yeah I didn’t want to change the fluid yet. I might go to 5K if the star plate swap doesn’t yield the results I’m looking for. I have a front EXB diff on the way from JRC. It might arrive tomorrow.

and now you have lsd plates in it ? how do you like it now?
because I had no problems when I drove it like this. but eventually it takes some getting used to the whole LSD system of the car.

Think it's the width of the shim that what's keeps it going wrong.?

must say that he really has a lot more grip behind if you replace that circle with those star discs?.
but yes you have to buy 2 of those sets if you want to do that.

I'm really curious what you think of it when the time comes and you can put it in.

Are you sure it's not called the "Notorious J's Sea Explorer" ?????
Here you can see what Ted and Jenny bought in 2020. Ted messaged me with a personal thank you letter saying "we couldn't have done it without you J"

1598444578853.png

I decided to reasemble my rear diff i used my toothpick on the hole where the bleeding hole set screw goes and i was able to push the sun gear down until j can see it trought the hole. Thats not normal the sungear should not be able to move at all no? Wit the lsd plates that wont happen

Two reasons why measuring stack height differs from measuring shim individually:

1) Micrometer vs Caliper. Many of us own a caliper. Which is fine as reference tool, but not to be used a reliable source. The reason is that a (digital) caliper uses an encoder on slides whereas a micrometer uses a male/female screw which can be adjusted.

2) Shims we use are not perfectly flat (concave). Measuring one at different areas and you’ll find this to be true. They also have burr around the radius’. If that wasn’t bad enough, simply stacking them only multiplies their imperfections.

Also (yes, there’s more), there is dirt/oil/aiir which gets trapped between each shim when stacked. In a machine shop (or quality control inspection departments), we rub jo-block gages on paper to remove any oils/dirt before stacking (sliding) them together.

So as you can see, there are many variables as to why measuring shims isn’t an exact science.

Two reasons why measuring stack height differs from measuring shim individually:

1) Micrometer vs Caliper. Many of us own a caliper. Which is fine as reference tool, but not to be used a reliable source. The reason is that a (digital) caliper uses an encoder on slides whereas a micrometer uses a male/female screw which can be adjusted.

2) Shims we use are not perfectly flat (concave). Measuring one at different areas and you’ll find this to be true. They also have burr around the radius’. If that wasn’t bad enough, simply stacking them only multiplies their imperfections.

Also (yes, there’s more), there is dirt/oil/aiir which gets trapped between each shim when stacked. In a machine shop (or quality control inspection departments), we rub jo-block gages on paper to remove any oils/dirt before stacking (sliding) them together.

So as you can see, there are many variables as to why measuring shims isn’t an exact science.
The anomaly I found was that shims individually measured more than their sum. For instance three identical .20 shims would measure .55 together. I would always measure across the center hole, not an edge alone. I would always align the shims in the same exact area of the calipers.

The anomaly I found was that shims individually measured more than their sum. For instance three identical .20 shims would measure .55 together. I would always measure across the center hole, not an edge alone. I would always align the shims in the same exact area of the calipers.

Strange indeed. There has to be a logical explanation why this is happening though.

My theory is that the lsd plates provide much more support on the rear face of the sun gears and keep them from wobbling, especially on the cup side.

I'd be curious to see how running an aluminum cup with no plates and just shims would work out for you guys.

I guess for JD you can never have enough EXB sun gears too ?
I ordered shims, plates, and gears when Arrma/Hobbyshipper still showed them in stock. They claimed my CC declined. My bank shows no auth from them at all. So I reordered the next day. Same thing. I checked with my bank and still no auth.

By then they no longer showed in stock. So I looked everywhere for parts, and could only find gear in stock in EU. However those sites won’t ship to the US. So a member here reached out and offered to buy and ship me some. I had him ship me 10 packs with the intent of passing on the gears at cost to other members in need. They are on the way across the ocean.

I have since bought many packs of shims, but I now think they won’t really be helpful. What I really needed was plates. But those were sold out everywhere by the time I figured out that I needed them.

So now I’m reduced to overpaying for JRC diffs to keep this thing running. Until I get this 100% for sure rock solid, I feel like I can only stock up and hope for the best.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back