Kraton Kraton exposed spur gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipSide

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Vorteks
I did a search, but didn't find the answer. Why is the spur gear exposed under the Kraton 6S? I can't find a good reason for this design and I can think of a few reasons against.

It's probably fine, but why is it like that?

Thanks!

Thanks! So I guess damage to the spur gear from a possible rock strike is not really an issue?
It’s more likely to cause an issue if it’s held in there than if it’s allowed to escape.

How are you liking that Kraton so far @FlipSide?
This thing is ridiculously fun! The conditions were far from ideal, but I had a blast!
IMG_20200111_112924.jpg

This thing is ridiculously fun! The conditions were far from ideal, but I had a blast!
View attachment 60491

Ooof! Snow bad! Lol... make sure you dry that thing well.. you may need to service some bearings.. it is alot of fun though..

Didn’t you have voltage cut? Did your lipos worked well? My experience on snow was frustrating, could bash only 5 min than went in voltage cut?maybe my lipos on snow are poopy?

It also keeps the center diff lower. Never had a problem or heard of anyone wrecking a spur gear because it was exposed. Many if not most 1/8 chassis have a slot like that!

Didn’t you have voltage cut? Did your lipos worked well? My experience on snow was frustrating, could bash only 5 min than went in voltage cut?maybe my lipos on snow are poopy?

Yes, Lipos worked very well. I didn't check precisely, but I certainly got a good 30min session (2x 5000mAh 3S). My short run time was with my son's brushed Granite on 3300 mAh NiMh.

If you keep your lipos around room temps just before you run, you will be fine. If your lipos are charged and ready and then put outside near freezing temps for a while, they will dump fast. Relative to the ambients outside.

I would not want to be without the spur gear "cutout". The pros out way the cons. It lowers the diff assy, yes. A plus, and is there by design. No cutout and you will brick the spur sooner than later. Without a cutout, there is no relief for pebbles and debris to eject and this grinds the hell out of your spur and ultimately your pinion. I have a rig without cutout and it ruins the spur, collecting debris. It eats the plastic spur gear on this particular rig.

Thanks! So I guess damage to the spur gear from a possible rock strike is not really an issue?
I have damaged my spur because off a small rock. If you drive a lot on gravel I think a dustcover will be a good investment.

Exposed gears will always be subject to debris and rock strikes. I didn't think that my Dusty motors cover helped much. It just kept the temps a bit warmer. Finer dust and some pebbles still get into the chassis. And the cover can prevent it from getting out.

I have damaged my spur because off a small rock. If you drive a lot on gravel I think a dustcover will be a good investment.

I have one already, for snowy conditions. I was planning not to use it in the summer to prevent the motor and esc temperature to raise too much.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back