Kraton Stock ESC and Castle 2028 motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hubdy

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
Hello, my thread here. I have a k8s, completely stock. I got a pretty good deal on Castle 2028 800kv motor ($225 out the door.) So the questions I have are would I be able to run castle motor with stock ESC? Would the ESC/motor temps be ok? And if the answers to the above questions would be yes, which gearing should I run on this combo?

I am not "allowed" to comment on the 8s line. Because I don't own one. :) I have a hunch that I will refrain from.

>>>But @djrahbee is the local 8s expert here in regards.

Hopefully he and others will jump in here and get you all sorted out.
I only know that CC motors are good.
Good luck. And welcome to AF.

Last edited:
upgrade esc

I understand that a mAx 5 or xlx2 is needed but would it work with stock firma 160?

I understand that a mAx 5 or xlx2 is needed but would it work with stock firma 160?
Technically it will work if you use adapters to turn the 8mm motor bullets into 6.5 to fit the stock esc. That esc going to struggle with that motor though imo. So yea it will "work" but I wouldn't expect it to be that great and it's most likely going to get hot fast.

Agree with @Moirae

The ESC may be able to handle that motor if you gear it very conservatively. Maybe around stock speed. But then what’s the point in using the big motor?

Might be beneficial if it stays cooler (I'm in FL)
Another question, is Castle motor more or less water resistant like the non sensored motors? I'm like planning to run it in deep water but sometimes we get tropical rain here that might appear all of a sudden and disappear in 15min, would it be ok if it gets wet?

Another question, is Castle motor more or less water resistant like the non sensored motors? I'm like planning to run it in deep water but sometimes we get tropical rain here that might appear all of a sudden and disappear in 15min, would it be ok if it gets wet?
Sure. But I would put tape over both sensor ports ahead of time.

Makes sense. So are Castle motors that much better/efficient then other non sensored motors? I wonder it it's worth it since I'm not going to run it without the sensor set up

Makes sense. So are Castle motors that much better/efficient then other non sensored motors? I wonder it it's worth it since I'm not going to run it without the sensor set up
There are people here way smarter than me so hopefully someone else will chime in, but my understanding is that most of a motor’s performance is simply determined by its size. Most motors of the same size, regardless of manufacturer, will perform similarly.

However, there are a few manufacturers who use higher quality materials and design to squeeze a little more efficiency/power out of a motor. That last bit of performance is expensive to obtain and the price premium probably isn’t worth it for many people or applications. Castle and TP are good examples.

Whether a motor is sensored doesn’t really factor into the efficiency/power equation. I’m a huge fan of sensored setups though. The driving experience is better and I like the automated temperature controls. Most of my cars have Castle ESCs and motors.

Last edited:
Water + $ESC/Motor$ (especially Sensored) =:cry:

I'm starting to doubt a little. If I should return the castle motor and just go ahead and get the max5 g2 esc and he 56112 800kv motor instead...

I'm starting to doubt a little. If I should return the castle motor and just go ahead and get the max5 g2 esc and he 56112 800kv motor instead...
That would definitely be better than using the castle motor with the stock esc. Or you could just get an xlx2 to go with the castle motor.

Happy Monday morning, I know it is personal preference but what is the obsession with 800 KV motors in the Kraton 8S. Its my opinion that the 1100 KV motor is just as fast with less weight. As for the question, will your motor work with a stock ESC yes with some modifications to the bullets? I would look at going a different route. That is a great price for that motor. I’m just not a fan of the weight and the gearing, it would really need to be one to one or as close to 1 to 1 as possible.

Last edited:
Happy Monday morning, I know it is personal preference but what is the obsession with 800 KV motors in the Kraton 8S. Its my opinion that the 1100 KV motor is just as fast with less weight.
Size is more important than kv here. Size determines power, and a more powerful motor will run cooler under the same load.

I agree the 5687 1100kv motor is enough for this truck. But there’s no denying a bigger motor has more torque and runs cooler.

You are correct it will run cooler. I think it's the weight and gearing that I disliked most.

You are correct it will run cooler. I think it's the weight and gearing that I disliked most.
I upgraded from a 5687 to a 56113. I did not notice the change in weight while driving the truck. I’m not sure what you mean about gearing - neither one is more complicated than the other.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back