Kraton Kraton Upgrade Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're comfortable soldering, switching the XT90 connector on ECS to EC5 opens up your pre-wired battery options. It is much more popular in 6S category as it is rated for higher amperage. At least for the brands I shop coming from large scale helicopters :)

id prefer to run just one battery. why not use 1 4s instead of 2 2s'?

I only run my Talion & Kraton on 6S, so I only use my (2) 2S batteries for 4S power in my Rival MT, as my MT has dual battery trays. Many people like the "simplicity" of using a single battery (4S or 6S), instead of (2) 2S or (2) 3S batteries. If you have a single port charger with sufficient power, it can also be easier to charge one battery compared to two (but you can also parallel charge 2-4 batteries at one time, using a single port charger). I've heard some members have had the XT90 bridge connector (for single battery use) "burn up/melt", so if using a single battery, probably best that you resolder the ESC wires for a single battery.

However, there are also advantages to using smaller 2S and 3S batteries. You can also use these smaller batteries in 1/10 scale vehicles, etc. Furthermore, if one cell goes bad in a battery, it is a lot cheaper to replace a 2S or 3S battery compared to a larger 6S battery. Also, you can charge smaller 2S & 3S batteries, with a less expensive and lower powered charger. The other bonus, with using (2) 2S or (2) 2S batteries, is if you get another 1/8 scale RC that has dual battery trays.

There are pros and cons to whatever you use for battery selection.

yes, i am reading a lot and that makes things more convoluted. im learning more than i care to know about batteries. i think the SMC will be just fine. thanks for everyones replies. they have all helped me a lot! this is an awesome community.

if there are any people in the raleigh NC area that wants $$ to teach a semi-retarded individual how to shim the diffs and upgrade the oil. shoot me a PM. :)

If you're comfortable soldering, switching the XT90 connector on ECS to EC5 opens up your pre-wired battery options. It is much more popular in 6S category as it is rated for higher amperage. At least for the brands I shop coming from large scale helicopters :)

im not but i need to find someone who can assist. well, i need to find someone who can do this for me. i want to run it right and after speaking with Danny at SMC, he said running 1 battery is better than running 2. of course he forwarded me an article. here it is....

https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/category&path=166

so im not sure what ill do. i need to recruit someone to do this. i can wrench, but im not going to solder.

im not but i need to find someone who can assist. well, i need to find someone who can do this for me. i want to run it right and after speaking with Danny at SMC, he said running 1 battery is better than running 2. of course he forwarded me an article. here it is....

so im not sure what ill do. i need to recruit someone to do this. i can wrench, but im not going to solder.
Interesting article. I agree with some comments, but you would have to change your ESC Lipo cut off anytime the weather changes according to SMC? I've been using both dual batteries in pairs for years now, and w/o any problems. I always use/charge/store my dual batteries together in pairs + I do not have more than 2 batteries exactly the same, so never get them mixed up. I used to check my batteries all the time after using or charging, using the charger "test mode" & the cells have always been closely balanced each time. There is no problem using dual batteries instead of a single battery, as many 6S vehicles even come with dual battery trays.

You will be fine going with either a single or dual batteries. The SMC battery you show should work just fine. Don't worry, just go with an XT90 connector, and no soldering required. Even if the included XT90 bridge connector does possibly burn up later, you can just replace it, if you still don't want to change and solder the ESC wire for a single battery at that time. Hope that is clear.

Last edited:
That's up to you which connector. I'm partial to ec5 as this is the common choice in rc heli with amps way over a rc truck and the batteries i like come with ec5. It's also easy to solder ec5.

Xt90 will work just fine. Ask yourself what batteries do you want to buy and what connector they come with (not that you can't change it). SMC uses XT90 but they are back order and who knows when they'll get some. gensacearespammers and glacier are both in stock now with ec5.

If you want to come to Minnesota I'll solder them up for free and give you all my XT90 connectors haha. Probably not worth the trip though. Lol

yes. i found one to do this. so, if i run 1 battery, and i make all the proper changes to the ESC. do i still get an xt90 connector for my battery or would it change for some reason?
If you plan to solder to a single connector, just pick the battery of your choice (that's in stock), then just solder the same connector on your ESC, as it does not matter what connector you use then. However, I would use either EC5(120amp continuous) or XT90 (90amp continuous) connectors, as they are both good, and better than other connectors. The EC5 connector does look lighter? Also, I'm not sure you will notice a difference between the EC5 and XT90 connectors, as even the smaller XT60 (60amp) can handle a 180A burst, and the XT90 I've heard can easily handle over double or triple it's rated current. The XT90 will easily handle any 4S or 6S batteries. The XT90 can even take up to a 8 gauge wire. Arrma also gives you extra XT90 connectors, so no cost to this route. Again, it's your choice, especially now that you are now going to solder the ESC wire to single.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back