Limitless LibertyMkiii's crazy belt drive car project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... what in the American freedom is that glorious thing?
Land speed cars made to go beyond 400 mph

You should watch some YT videos on them.
The money that goes into this is at the level of F1 racing, but without all the TV coverage and sponsorships.

Some big names in recent years are:
JCB Diesel max
Speed demon
Bloodhouns SSC

The money that goes into this is at the level of F1 racing, but without all the TV coverage and sponsorships.

JCB Diesel max
Speed demon
Bloodhouns SSC
That last one sound familiar

Last 1/3 of the body finished on the printer today. This does not include the tail which makes the car even longer o_O
You can probably see now why I want the tail to be bolt on LOL

3rd partCapture.JPG

3rd part 2Capture.JPG

JCB Diesel max
Speed demon
Bloodhouns SSC
Besides F1, LSR cars and NHRA Top fuel and funny cars are my favorite types of vehicles.. because of the incredibly over the top design and engineering that went into them.
My favorite land speed car is the Bloodhound, if it ever does reach 1,000 mph as its designers claim it can, it would be an incredible feat of engineering

Thinking out loud here...
To make it a sucker car or not :unsure:

A 64mm edf would fit fully in the tail section quite easily....

View attachment 135676

Iterative development? If the body doesn't give enough downforce, possibly edf it? More downforce + (((some))) thrust to mitigate drag. Would a 64mm edf draw enough air at 200mph to really suck instead of just having it forced through the duct?

Can't blame you, somehow all aero/downforce searches always end up at the Brabham BT46B.

You really need a tight skirt to make it work. Compared to a f1 racing track, scaled up tarmac isn't so smooth. I fear that's where the practical implications start. My experiments with edf's weren't great. Cool sound, but most of all an other danger factor.

But from cool engineering pov, definitely go for it. I would mix the edf with throttle though

Thinking out loud here...
To make it a sucker car or not :unsure:

A 64mm edf would fit fully in the tail section quite easily....

View attachment 135676
Add a rubber skirt around the base to seal the body to the road. You don't want it to drag though.Are you going to draw the air from under the car?

I think you would need at least a 70mm fan but most likely a 90mm to hit the kind of speeds you want. I fly with 64mm fans in pretty light weight aircraft and just don't think they would have the amount of thrust your needing. I could be wrong but would be surprised.

Iterative development? If the body doesn't give enough downforce, possibly edf it? More downforce + (((some))) thrust to mitigate drag. Would a 64mm edf draw enough air at 200mph to really suck instead of just having it forced through the duct?

I agree this would be a add-on thing to try later. Honestly I don't have the budget to be trying stuff like this at the moment. A decrease in air pressure under the body can make a large impact on downforce above the body. A smaller EDF like this would probably work just fine.

Can't blame you, somehow all aero/downforce searches always end up at the Brabham BT46B.

You really need a tight skirt to make it work. Compared to a f1 racing track, scaled up tarmac isn't so smooth. I fear that's where the practical implications start. My experiments with edf's weren't great. Cool sound, but most of all an other danger factor.

But from cool engineering pov, definitely go for it. I would mix the edf with throttle though

I always think of the Chaparral 2J myself but all the same concept.

Also do you have a private road that you can do the run on?
This is an airport runway only car
Add a rubber skirt around the base to seal the body to the road. You don't want it to drag though.Are you going to draw the air from under the car?
Yep it would need to make at least a partial seal. I was looking at possibly Delrin or nylon brushes that could create a partial seal while not creating a significant amount of drag.
I think you would need at least a 70mm fan but most likely a 90mm to hit the kind of speeds you want. I fly with 64mm fans in pretty light weight aircraft and just don't think they would have the amount of thrust your needing. I could be wrong but would be surprised.

This should provide near zero thrust. Its only purpose is to suck the air from inside the body and under the car to maintain downforce with minimal drag. It is basically creating or helping to maintain a high pressure differential under the body.

Last edited:
If I cannot run on the runway that I currently plan to... I might be coming to visit you in MT ;)
As long as you don't mind sharing some speedrunning tips over a glass of two of whiskey, you are more than welcome to!

As long as you don't mind sharing some speedrunning tips over a glass of two of whiskey, you are more than welcome to!
MT is quite a drive from the Dallas Tx area. Fingers crossed that my other option works out, which is much closer to home.

This should provide near zero thrust. Its only purpose is to suck the air from inside the body and under the car to maintain downforce with minimal drag. It is basically creating or helping to maintain a high pressure differential under the body.
Well that makes a lot more sense! I guess that is why I am still learning. :ROFLMAO:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back