Limitless - 130 MPH goal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RuffRiki

“If you’re not first, you’re last!”
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Limitless
Greetings Arrma!

I am new to the hobby but I have no turning back. So far I have bought the granite and the infraction but now I want more and more speed.
I will be buying the limitless in a few days. I need your recommendation on what to put I
In the thing to achieve my 130 MPH goal.
Help!

Again as he stated he's not looking to push 150+ mph so all the fine details for higher speeds and little aero tweaks are not needed at this time. I'm sure if he gets to that point he is smart enough to research those details and ask more detailed questions but again as he said he's not building this to go crazy like some of us and risk destroying his build.

Again as he stated he's not looking to push 150+ mph so all the fine details for higher speeds and little aero tweaks are not needed at this time. I'm sure if he gets to that point he is smart enough to research those details and ask more detailed questions but again as he said he's not building this to go crazy like some of us and risk destroying his build.
Yes, but it is still important. Negative rake will cause blowovers at 60mph. To be clear, I wasn't trying to poop on his car or goals or anything, just trying to point out that even the most basic tweaks lean into the fundamentals of rocket science, and that's an awesome concepts to think about while tinkering, which he has stated he is building the car for.

Yes, but it is still important. Negative rake will cause blowovers at 60mph. To be clear, I wasn't trying to poop on his car or goals or anything, just trying to point out that even the most basic tweaks lean into the fundamentals of rocket science, and that's an awesome concepts to think about while tinkering, which he has stated he is building the car for.
I appreciate any information that will help me to build a near perfect Limitless.
I want to know in my head what the car is capable of but I don’t realistically see myself driving 120 MPH any time soon. That being said I will still be installing the best components, extended spool shafts, HR parts, the works. When I’m done with the car I should only be changing pinion/spool gears and batteries when I feel like it. I may only drive it once after finishing it, just to make sure it drives, then once every months after that. 🤷🏽‍♂️.
Let’s not concern ourselves about the $$$, let my wife worry about that.

I appreciate any information that will help me to build a near perfect Limitless.
I want to know in my head what the car is capable of but I don’t realistically see myself driving 120 MPH any time soon. That being said I will still be installing the best components, extended spool shafts, HR parts, the works. When I’m done with the car I should only be changing pinion/spool gears and batteries when I feel like it. I may only drive it once after finishing it, just to make sure it drives, then once every months after that. 🤷🏽‍♂️.
Let’s not concern ourselves about the $$$, let my wife worry about that.
Heck yeah! I can get behind that.

Thank you.

We have to just share the knowledge cuz more n more ppl are getting into this and the questions n concerns will remain the same.

a while back I saw a guy running an RC in the park and it was like my first time knowing that an RC could be so fast (and now I realize he wasn’t doing any kind of speed, maybe 25-30 MPH). I was instantly smitten, the very next day I owned a Granite And right now I’m building a Limitless. My infraction is still sitting pretty too.
Maybe if I could even help to get more people into this it would serve me well. I have all these RCs and no RC friends.

Maybe if I could even help to get more people into this it would serve me well. I have all these RCs and no RC friends.
I hear ya there I have no RC buddies either just my kids. Again keep going your build is coming along amazing 😍

I received receiver and servo today. Started the installation but had to leave that for a while to go work on my 1/1 scale car 🤣.

any tips or suggestions for this stage?

I jumped the gun and installed the servo horn prematurely (I think). I think it has to be installed after competing electrical connections, in order to make sure wheels are straight.
Please correct me if I’m wrong pros, so us newbies can make note

I removed the horn which wasn’t so easy, scratched up my new servo a little bit.
Take note!!
2333E067-6BC7-42EB-B297-9251C597072E.jpeg

I received receiver and servo today. Started the installation but had to leave that for a while to go work on my 1/1 scale car 🤣.

I jumped the gun and installed the servo horn prematurely (I think). I think it has to be installed after competing electrical connections, in order to make sure wheels are straight.

I removed the horn which wasn’t so easy, scratched up my new servo a little bit.
Take note!!
View attachment 155362
Yes you need to hook up servo and power it on to allow it to center and then attach the servo horn👍

Take note!!
View attachment 155362
I see you still have the customizable aero stuff on your car. Pull the front completely, and cut the bottom down to about 3/16" above flat, just barely under the bottom rib. Way more drag than is good. Less drag = better, so long as you have the downforce to maintain traction.

I see you still have the customizable aero stuff on your car. Pull the front completely, and cut the bottom down to about 3/16" above flat, just barely under the bottom rib. Way more drag than is good. Less drag = better, so long as you have the downforce to maintain traction.
Oh sure I’ll get around to those eventually. I already have upgrade replacements for those tucked away for later 😁

well atleast you are taking the right approach to speed running. wish i could say the same about myself. i took the budget approach. now i sit here waiting on my mmx8s and 1717 motor to show up. all my years of rc have mostly been in the dirt. speed running is new to me and it has bitten me bad.im so hooked it aint funny. the wife kept saying whats next for it. nothing dear. nothing dear. she knows im lying....but anyway, let yourself be the limit, not the car. sounds like you have a good idea of your limits. one step at a time brother.

well atleast you are taking the right approach to speed running. wish i could say the same about myself. i took the budget approach. now i sit here waiting on my mmx8s and 1717 motor to show up. all my years of rc have mostly been in the dirt. speed running is new to me and it has bitten me bad.im so hooked it aint funny. the wife kept saying whats next for it. nothing dear. nothing dear. she knows im lying....but anyway, let yourself be the limit, not the car. sounds like you have a good idea of your limits. one step at a time brother.
Yeah man limits and realistic expectations are the key for now.
It really does seem like wives are the Achilles’ heel of the RC hobby.
First time I bought an Infraction I had to stop off the highway on my way home and get rid of the box, then sneak the car into the house to make it look like I had it the whole time. She likes that I have my hobby but I really do keep her in complete darkness about what the price tags.
Keep it between us alright! 🤣🤐🤐🤐🤐🤐
Yeah man limits and realistic expectations are the key for now.
It really does seem like wives are the Achilles’ heel of the RC hobby.
First time I bought an Infraction I had to stop off the highway on my way home and get rid of the box, then sneak the car into the house to make it look like I had it the whole time. She likes that I have my hobby but I really do keep her in complete darkness about what the price tags.
Keep it between us alright! 🤣🤐🤐🤐🤐🤐
I knew from the jump that what I wanted will cost time, money and frustration but I planned for it before purchasing the first part. I knew most everything before getting the car. This thread will tell the story

Build it, beat it to death, break it ,fix it, repeat...only way to run them...lol...all my rigs for speed running, except kraton ..hit 110, with limitless today...

Last edited:
Build it beat it to death, break it repeat...only way to run them...lol...all my rings for speed running, except kraton ..hit 110, with limitless today...
sounds like my 1/8 scale days lol. i blame youtube. i saw these fast cars and it was over then. i put a firma 150 and motor combo in my limitless thinking i could get what ever i needed out of it. wrong. esc cutting out at 94mph. i would have been happy at 100. but the wife said i wouldnt. guess she is right .again. oh well after being together almost 40 years she doesn't fuss much. i just get that look.......

Really, I don't think a 2 or 3s pack will hardly move the 2028 and don't believe XLX2 allows less than 3s. I'm sure he's not planning to go balls out on 8s first run out and will like all of us that started slowly work up to higher speeds. No offense but shouldn't assume because someone doesn't have a lot of experience they are going to destroy their rig. I just started speed running 6 months ago and went from 64mph to 138mph without a single crash. Just recently had my first crash at 126mph but after 6 months of speed runs and only cause I hit a rock I couldn't see. Again no need to assume someone just because they have little experience is going to crash or destroy their rig.
No hurt by letting him know what most people on this forum also suggest. Edough13, I meant only to err on the side of caution. One member lost part of his toe. Everyone giving suggestions should find out about who they are advising. Maybe you "have it n your blood" but, most people learn through pain. And I just suggested taking his time and get the feel of the car.

I've talked to you before. We had a couple of good chats. What's up now? By suggesting that a beginner starts off slow, that is practicing safely. "64mph to 138mph" And you did it in six months? I must congratulate you as that alone must be some kind of record. And me warning him to start off slow is a bad idea? That almost sounds obtuse. Are you doing it on purpose?

Edough13 said:
I think he just assumed your going to try and jump right into 100+mph speed runs solely based off of your setup. Just cause you have an amazing setup that is capable of up to 170mph doesn't mean your going to start and go balls out. Keep doing you bro and when your ready ask for some tips for driving to help keep it on the road but in all reality it's not rocket science as some try to make it seem.

Dave: Oh, you kinda warned him.

Last edited:
No hurt by letting him know what most people on this forum also suggest. Edough13, I meant only to err on the side of caution. One member lost part of his toe. Everyone giving suggestions should find out about who they are advising. Maybe you "have it n your blood" but, most people learn through pain. And I just suggested taking his time and get the feel of the car.

I've talked to you before. We had a couple of good chats. What's up now? By suggesting that a beginner starts off slow, that is practicing safely. "64mph to 138mph" And you did it in six months? I must congratulate you as that alone must be some kind of record. And me warning him to start off slow is a bad idea? That almost sounds obtuse. Are you doing it on purpose?

Edough13 said:
I think he just assumed your going to try and jump right into 100+mph speed runs solely based off of your setup. Just cause you have an amazing setup that is capable of up to 170mph doesn't mean your going to start and go balls out. Keep doing you bro and when your ready ask for some tips for driving to help keep it on the road but in all reality it's not rocket science as some try to make it seem.

Dave: Oh, you kinda warned him.
I get what your saying and I didn't mean to come off as a d!ck either. Just seemed a little harsh to suggest running 2 or 3s as that would literally be like 30mph with the 1100kv setup. I agree safety is key especially with speed running but again 2-3s is way too low to start at as it would literally be like 29mph. And yes we have had a few chats and I apologize if I came off in the wrong way. As I said I just assumed, my bad shouldn't have, that based off of his setup and the title being 130 mph goal you were assuming he was just going to try and go big right off the bat with little experience. I agree you were telling him to err on the side of caution just maybe a little to much is why I made the comment. Again I apologize if I came off the wrong way as that was not my intention, just didn't want him to feel like he has to start slower than he bashes with his 3s rig is all and take any offense. And thanks, yes I have in fact started speed running only since January with stock Typhon at 64mph and as of last month top 8s PB is 138mph. Here's my first ever speed run with Typhon from January 7 and you'll see at the top of my channel is the recent 138mph PB 👍

I get what your saying and I didn't mean to come off as a d!ck either. Just seemed a little harsh to suggest running 2 or 3s as that would literally be like 30mph with the 1100kv setup. I agree safety is key especially with speed running but again 2-3s is way too low to start at as it would literally be like 29mph. And yes we have had a few chats and I apologize if I came off in the wrong way. As I said I just assumed, my bad shouldn't have, that based off of his setup and the title being 130 mph goal you were assuming he was just going to try and go big right off the bat with little experience. I agree you were telling him to err on the side of caution just maybe a little to much is why I made the comment. Again I apologize if I came off the wrong way as that was not my intention, just didn't want him to feel like he has to start slower than he bashes with his 3s rig is all and take any offense. And thanks, yes I have in fact started speed running only since January with stock Typhon at 64mph and as of last month top 8s PB is 138mph. Here's my first ever speed run with Typhon from January 7 and you'll see at the top of my channel is the recent 138mph PB 👍
No problemo. I have learned from you and that really is the only way we can grow. No insult taken.

You'll see more of me as I do the final preps on my Limitless. I've been at 100mph, but not with this car.
Question: As far as gearing, When you tune an on-road car for more speed, do you go with a small spur/large pinion, or large spur and smaller spur for your adjustment? BTW, I run a Castle 1100Kv, and Castle XLX2. I put on a pair of GTP -5 tires and I look like I'm almost ready to go. The stronger shafts and aluminum deck braces. I have the following gears: 39T, 49T, 29T, 34T (x2), and a 30T.

Would you have any suggestions? Thanks buddy, Dave

I run a smaller pinion and larger spool and slowly go up on pinion but I run higher kv motor and only MMX8S. Now with the 1100kv I myself would probably start at 32t pinion and 29t spur and see what I pull. On calculator for 8s would be right about 100+/- 5-10mph. So I'd go up on pinion from there. With the lower kv motors you'll have to run smaller spur/spool and a lot higher pinions. So if I had that and wanted to go for new PB over my 138mph I'd try running like 34t pinion and 29t spur which would be about mid 130's to low 140's on 8s but I also run GP5 diffs which are like +20mph over stock 13/43 diffs. But in short lowering spur/spool is same as increasing pinion, increasing spur/spool is like dropping teeth on the pinion👍

Going from 64 MPH to 130 MPH in 6 months sounds like good steady development to me but hey I’m no pro (yet). But I wanted to take a similar approach. It’s weird cuz I bought my infraction and out the box it was like 70MPH, easy, no adjustments nothing.

Anyway, when my passenger car picks up to 90 MPH I get a bit nervous cuz I’d don’t want to hurt myself, my family or civilians on the street. I’m constantly mindful of what A high speed crash can do.

that being said, the limitless is a few pounds even with the xlx2 and motor but at 100MPH+ that thing is like a large bullet flying at ground level. I am aware of this. Man losing only a toe is damn lucky to not lose the entire foot, or worse. And this is coming from the new guy who is building a limitless.

For what it’s worth I have already identified a retired airstrip where other people run high speed RCs, drag etc. it won’t get any better or safer than that.

I’m saying all this to say I’m in no speed rush here guys, I’m just impressed by these overpowered RCs.

I want nothing but encouragement and positive advice, like my man with the 6 month development. I don’t want to hear about price of parts or that stuff, believe me I’ve heard it all at this point.

just show me how, tell me what I need to know that no one bothered to tell u. Tell me about the mistake you made and what I can do to avoid it.

So far so good though guys. My next step, likely today, is to pickup some QS8 connectors, batteries and get some soldering done.

On the note of batteries, I want to use the smallest possible 4s 6000 MAH packs that I can find.

any recommendations?

On the note of batteries, I want to use the smallest possible 4s 6000 MAH packs that I can find.

any recommendations?
Don't. The smaller the pack, the less surface area to dissipate heat, the more likely for a battery to fail under extreme load like in speedrunning. If you can find them, the 150c SMC drag packs are great, but stay away from the 120c lcg packs, they can't handle it. Personally, I use Turnigy Graphene Panthers. They are bricks, but well worth the weight

Back