Lipo Protection? Overkill?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpinRush_C1

Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Hello again folks. I’m SpinRush_C1 and I’m really new to the game. Drove my Typhon 6S for the first time yesterday. Tomorrow we are venturing out into Japan to find a place called SkyHobby. Stay tuned for that blog report.

I suffer from mild electrophobia. I’m the type that can’t go outside when I hear thunder and / or see lightning coming from the sky. For me, that is death by God himself. To be struck by lightning is something I’m not willing to risk. Then came the day that I learned about Lipos. It was a couple of guys on YouTube that made a video of Lipos blowing up. The fear of God is in me and I fear these Lipos more than you know. I’m surprised I’m even allowed to purchase and own them in Japan given how sensitive they are to anything that would upset harmony in society.

I’d like to share with you my efforts to protect everything and everyone from the unpredictable, volatile, and hazardous batteries. Keep in mind, I’m a newbie that’s just starting out. Here we go.

Lipo bags: I bought a few different types. Most of my choices are from what I had to choose from on Amazon.co.jp. Let’s take a look at the first one.
90B69A0B-0DA6-4847-B265-223F1E92E316.jpeg
B4906512-ADE9-489E-8D2C-2E575903A0E5.jpeg

Noiposi- Never heard of this company. I don’t care much for their Lipo bag either. The only way to close it is with the Velcro. I’m going to use this for small batteries only. Nice thing is I can throw extra stuff in there with the battery.

Next up, we have Crazepony. Comments below picture.
B21D6555-718D-4122-B18E-57B941A43B4E.jpeg
E9C62AF1-38CB-4794-B867-40D0D08F592C.jpeg

I really like these Crazepony’s Lipo bags. Zipper plus Velcro. I really want to be sure that the Lipo bag is closed and secure. This bag let’s me sleep at night. I also use this bag now when charging. I just need those wires out and I can zip and Velcro the rest of the bag closed.

Transporting Lipos: I treat these things like I’m delivering a heart or a healthy organ for someone to have a transplant. Like a girl I don’t really trust, I want as much protection as I can have. Let’s have a look at Fconegy:
43D6727A-FDAE-4F3C-894F-5F8E62016190.jpeg
8D2E6D17-78C1-4C35-8A38-D4F8A81BD205.jpeg

I like Fconegy because they not only sent me the lunchbag Lipo bag, but they also included the individual Lipo bag. I’m putting my 6S Lipos in their own individual bags ( Velcro only ) and then putting them in the bigger Lipo lunchbag. Being in Japan, to the untrained eye, it would appear that I’m just bringing my lunch to work. I’m not joking. Nobody would imagine I’m walking around with Lipos unless they are into the hobby.

2433C561-ACBA-4C57-AA45-3CEE6EF5B6A0.jpeg
B69864F5-F367-490F-A1BC-F139C2337321.jpeg
1A9D7B6C-1A22-46C8-A75C-CFD11D776CA5.jpeg

Last but not least is my Sentry Firebox. Now this is supposed to protect the contents inside from the fire outside. It’s the best thing I have to work with right now. Since this was designed more as a safe box, I seriously doubt any exploding on the inside is going to blow the lid off this thing. Again, this is the best I can do right now.

About those other batteries. Well, I just don’t have enough Sentry boxes so I decided to listen to a YouTuber who suggested that I keep batteries in the BBQ Grill. That made sense to me. If they do blow, I can probably play it off. “Sorry about the smoke neighbor. These pork chops got a bit of fat on them.” So, I put the grill outside.
F7663C3E-FD24-4D21-B100-1630F9A62198.jpeg

As I mentioned before, I fear electricity just as much as I fear cobras and anacondas. Today, I went out and bought the best surge protector I could get. I trust the HTRC T240 Charger to do it’s job, but I also believe anything can happen at anytime. I’m not going to let a surge get anywhere near those Lipos.
42A97F4C-DE73-4BFA-A47D-7DC4CC09827C.jpeg

I made sure to get about 3M of cord so I can put things as far away from me as I possibly can. Trying to be safe here. Not pictured here is the fire extinguisher I have. However, that fire extinguisher may not be fit to handle a Lipo Class C fire. I’ll take any recommendations you guys might have. I’ve got fire gloves already. If I have to pick that bag up and hurl it somewhere, I’ll be ready.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. I look forward to any suggestions you guys might have. I hope I can hear from members who have actually experienced a Lipo fire and how their bags held up.

Last edited:
No offence intended but your fear is more than a tad irrational IMO.. but I guess its better to be safe until you know what the true dangers are.

They do not spontaneously combust for no reason... The main rules are... As long as you charge them using the correct charge settings for the pack chemistry, cell count, max charge rate etc ..don't charge them unattended, charge and store them in a metal case that could contain a fire, destroy any damaged, majorly puffed or poor reading Lipos you will be perfectly safe.

Man, you are paranoid, lipos are very safe. I store in my home, charge in my home.

That sentry box is better than nothing but should be vented, if totally sealed and locked pressure will build up in a lipo vent and could blow up like a bomb. Thats why you see those bat boxes with holes in them. I just leave mine in a 50 cal ammo can with lid unhinged.

Hey @SpinRush_C1, think about this. Their are sites like Banggood that sell hundreds of thousands of cheap rc drones and cars to teenagers all over the world. Each of these has a lithium polymer battery. Where are all the explosions? It’s just not that common. On this site there are maybe 1 or 2 threads about lipos burning up out of thousands. I even started a thread asking anyone to show pictures of a lipo fire. There might have been one response. That thread is dead and buried. Of course you can shoot them with a gun, drive nails through them or try and take them apart and you might have a fire. Use a little common sense and you will be fine.

Lipo fires are rare, but they do happen. Mostly to mistreated or really cheap lipos, so step one is buy trusted good batteries, and step 2 is take care of them.

Beyond that - have you seen the Bat Safe?
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/bat-safe-lipo-battery-charging-safe-box.html
You talked of youtube vids of people testing battery fires - those mesh bags don't do much by themselves, but the Bat Safe totally contained the fire, heat, and filtered some of the smoke too.

Just as a heads up those lipo bags are useless for anything bigger than 2200mah 2s lipos.

Hey @SpinRush_C1. I understand that for you, the fear is legitimate. As many have stated, lipos aren't as dangerous as what you might think, but dealing with a worst case scenario, which you have to, the Bat Safe is probably the best protection money can buy. I store mine in bags similar to the Fconegy ones you have, and they stay in my garage all the time. That just buys me time if something was to happen. Good on you for doing your research. Whatever it takes to enjoy the hobby, sometimes we just do what we have to do.

Just as a heads up those lipo bags are useless for anything bigger than 2200mah 2s lipos.
I hear you loud and clear. I immediately ordered a Pulse Fire Bat-Safe Charging Box. Don’t know how long it will take to get here, but thankfully they ship internationally. I was very surprised that Amazon.co.jp has NOTHING like that on their website. Amazon.com does, but I get a message saying they don’t ship internationally.

Anyway, I ordered 2 of them. Can’t wait to get them.
A856F201-FB28-468A-B5A5-A6F5323CAAAB.jpeg

I have your same fear of lightning.
Any lightning shows up within 20 miles of me, i go in hiding until it passes.
Im huge into backpacking in the mountains and have had some intense experiences in storms that cause my lightning fear.

All this really has me rethinking my relaxed attitude/view of lipos.
I don't have safes or bags or anything.
I should take this more serriously as well.
Its my new years resolution, to become lipo safe. I at least owe that to the ones around me.

better safe than sorry but I got a cheap ammunition box (metal) butterfly hinges (expandable, so its never 100% sealed but if they would ever vent they can or even go off, tested in a field test with different packs that were to decommissioned) ... I had really puffed ones almost 2 times the size, fully charged for weeks as I forgot about them ... touch wood never had one go off in over 10 years unless I spiked them and wanted them to go off on purpose - I think you may be good mate

I have your same fear of lightning.
Any lightning shows up within 20 miles of me, i go in hiding until it passes.
Im huge into backpacking in the mountains and have had some intense experiences in storms that cause my lightning fear.

All this really has me rethinking my relaxed attitude/view of lipos.
I don't have safes or bags or anything.
I should take this more serriously as well.
Its my new years resolution, to become lipo safe. I at least owe that to the ones around me.
RSM
For me, when it comes to Lipos and Lightning, I’m a mixed bag of bolts. I am realistic. Chances of me or anyone getting hit by lightning are astronomical. You’d have to have really bad luck to get struck by lightning. That’s where I come in. Headed towards my 50s buying R/C cars instead of a cat. Didn’t have much luck with women. I figure it’s going to be about the same with these Lipos. I never knew how to handle them properly.

Yeah, you should get some protection. You know, it’s not like to good old days. I’m into airplanes and jetliners too. When the BOEING 787 debuted it had it’s problems. I heard it was something related to Lipos. Those Hybrid cars have them too. I hate that Toyota Prius. I’ll never buy one. Over my dead body. If I wanted a battery operated vehicle, I’d go to my local hobby shop! ?????.

OH, BTW. I got my hands on the HTRC T240 Touch Screen Charger. It’s pretty much the same as the C240, but I wanted a 2nd charger. Not as fancy as that Japanese guy I met at Tam-Tam. His gear was BOSS.

I hear you loud and clear. I immediately ordered a Pulse Fire Bat-Safe Charging Box. Don’t know how long it will take to get here, but thankfully they ship internationally. I was very surprised that Amazon.co.jp has NOTHING like that on their website. Amazon.com does, but I get a message saying they don’t ship internationally.

Anyway, I ordered 2 of them. Can’t wait to get them. View attachment 58673
I have the same size above original Bat-Safe. It was like $65. I have the bags too. But they are basically useless unless you have small lipos (1500mah and smaller). 5000 Mah 6S in a bag is not a failsafe by any means. People have lost their homes. I know what it is like to wake up at night to your home burning down. Getting everyone out. And spending the next 6 months in a hotel while your home is renovated. Because luckily your Ins. covered things?

I have the same size above original Bat-Safe. It was like $65. I have the bags too. But they are basically useless unless you have small lipos (1500mah and smaller). 5000 Mah 6S in a bag is not a failsafe by any means.
Are the Bat-Safes still only rated up to 5000mah 6s? Or was it 2 5000mah 6s? I can't remember anymore.

Idk why I was thinking 2.

On the Amain Hobby site it says: Maximum Battery Capacity: 2x 6S 5000mAh (222Wh)

I am not sure if that means it can physically fit 2, or it is rated for 2!
Is there a difference between the Pulse and the Bat Safe?

Look identical and have the same exact wording for a description.

Last edited:
On the Amain Hobby site it says: Maximum Battery Capacity: 2x 6S 5000mAh (222Wh)

I am not sure if that means it can physically fit 2, or it is rated for 2!
Is there a difference between the Pulse and the Bat Safe?

Look identical and have the same exact wording for a description.
I think they are the same, Pulse might be a rebrand. They both could be rebrands even idk.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back