Lipo question. Not really puffed but...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jk420

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I have a onyx 5000mah 3s lipo soft case that fills like it's got air trapped inside. Not sure if I would consider it puffed and all cells check out the same. So my question is should I keep running this battery or cut my losses and toss it?

@jk420 it's really a personal choice and being we have nothing but a description and no picture to see just how much it's puffed we can only guess.

That said I don't screw around with LiPo batteries. If they start to puff then I dispose of them. My RC, garage, house and life is much more valuable than a LiPo battery so I'm not risking it.

IMG_1073.JPG
@jk420 it's really a personal choice and being we have nothing but a description and no picture to see just how much it's puffed we can only guess.

That said I don't screw around with LiPo batteries. If they start to puff then I dispose of them. My RC, garage, house and life is much more valuable than a LiPo battery so I'm not risking it.
lol I'm sorry I didn't even think about posting a picture. Visually it don't looked puffed but feeling it feels like it's got a little gas trapped in the shrink wrap. The one on the right is the one in question. I haven't ran it since I've noticed it. Was waiting to see what others had to say. If it's gone I won't mess around. I'll take off the xt90 connector and dispose of it.

So is it normal for it to feel like it's got gas trapped in it? Nothing else is wrong with is. One cell is .02 less than the others but I don't think that's a problem.

I have a few pack that feel a bit 'soft' after a hard run - most of the time, you can't really see the swelling, just feel it. After a day or three, this swelling will go down. Also, this type of swelling is normally less than a 1/16" high. My Zippy Compact batteries do this almost every run, my Turnigy Graphine packs also did this after my last race day - that was 4-5 full cycles (almost no rest - run, charge, run, repeat) on a +90 deg Texas day.

For swelling that makes the top of the battery look rounded, 1/8" or higher, I take those out of service, store in a spare BBQ pit till I can deal with them. I will carefully cut off the heat shrink or open the hard case and inspect. If it is all cells swelling, I set it aside for the next salt bath. I have 2 different 4s packs that I have been able to remove the bad cell and resolder the pack up as a 3s.

Idk if I'm brave enough to cut the shrink wrap off and inspect it lol. I might get up the courage but for now I'll just keep a close eye on it. I won't bash with it may just do speed runs and see how it reacts. If it's discharging and charging fine without more puffing I'll keep it. Thanks for everyone's input.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back