Typhon Looking for Belted off road/all terain tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaxnDabs

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Hey what's up everyone, I'm looking to upgrade my stock Typhon v4 wheels with something more heavy duty. My wheels seem to be ballooning way too much during 6s use at 100 percent throttle. I was looking at these Belted Proline Trencher 2.8″ Pre-Mounted Tires.
If anyone can recommend me any decent tires that wont balloon as much I would really appreciate it! Thanks in advance

Hey what's up everyone, I'm looking to upgrade my stock Typhon v4 wheels with something more heavy duty. My wheels seem to be ballooning way too much during 6s use at 100 percent throttle. I was looking at these Belted Proline Trencher 2.8″ Pre-Mounted Tires.
If anyone can recommend me any decent tires that wont balloon as much I would really appreciate it! Thanks in advance

I have some and I'd wait for reviews. I also bought the PL plastic 17mm switchers. aluminum set is $80 for all four wheels.
Strap some Duratrax buggy tires that have tread like badlands and run it. ? If you do the higher pinions rethink the durability.

The PL 2.8's were said to be heavy, hard and very bouncy. PL has a disclaimer, if you read between the lines, they basically won't warranty these tires. But they don't balloon. They are costly. Aside from being able to buy and change out the wheel hubs to 17mm, I feel a 3.8 should be available with included 17mm hubs. PL may or may not offer that in the future. Who knows? How does PL justify alum. 17mm wheel hubs at $80.00. Ludicrous.PL is slowly pricing themselves out of the market with high pricing on most of their stuff lately.
@richduperbash did a recent video on these PL belted shoes. Check it out.

Last edited:
The PL 2.8's were said to be heavy, hard and very bouncy. PL has a disclaimer, if you read between the lines, they basically won't warranty these tires. But they don't balloon. They are costly. Aside from being able to buy and change out the wheel hubs to 17mm, I feel a 3.8 should be available with included 17mm hubs. PL may or may not offer that in the future. Who knows? How does PL justify alum. 17mm wheel hubs at $80.00. Ludicrous.PL is slowly pricing themselves out of the market with high pricing on most of their stuff lately.
@richduperbash did a recent video on these PL belted shoes. Check it out.
Thanks! i was actually also looking at some Youtube videos, and i came across someone who added Outcast Tires onto the Typhon v4. Would it be difficult to modify my typhon v4 into a truck? Hopefully you understand my question lol. Thanks in advance

I have these Belted Trenchers and they do not balloon at all on 4S. Can’t say anything about 6S, but they are the best tire I’ve ran so far. They are a bit heavy and @Rich Duperbash said they were bouncy for him. I don’t bash quite at the same level, so my Typhon was fine. I only get about 8-10’ of air off my ramp and it seemed to land fine. Not sure how high you jump your rigs, so take that into account.

Thanks! i was actually also looking at some Youtube videos, and i came across someone who added Outcast Tires onto the Typhon v4. Would it be difficult to modify my typhon v4 into a truck? Hopefully you understand my question lol. Thanks in advance
I don't see why not. But I have no experience with a Typhon. Many have created Hybrid versions. I would defer that question to others here with that experience. Enjoy.

I don't see why not. But I have no experience with a Typhon. Many have created Hybrid versions. I would defer that question to others here with that experience. Enjoy.
@Rich Duperbash has done a "truggified typhon" as have others. Try searching for that. I can't recall what all you have to do, but you need kraton or outcast arms/axles/carriers/hubs I think, and different wheels/tires of course. Kind of turns the typhon into a buggy bodied outcast. But if you run 2.8's, you may only need part of the axle and kraton hubs/end shafts.

@Rich Duperbash has done a "truggified typhon" as have others. Try searching for that. I can't recall what all you have to do, but you need kraton or outcast arms/axles/carriers/hubs I think, and different wheels/tires of course. Kind of turns the typhon into a buggy bodied outcast. But if you run 2.8's, you may only need part of the axle and kraton hubs/end shafts.
My Outcast Hybrid is as you described above. The basic Truggified Typhon requires only Kraton hexs, stub axels, and hubs allowing 2.8 MT wheels to fit without any rub. Some guys simply use hex extenders, but that puts more strain on the bearings. I got the Truggified idea from a Monster Senton on this forum awhile back ?

My Outcast Hybrid is as you described above. The basic Truggified Typhon requires only Kraton hexs, stub axels, and hubs allowing 2.8 MT wheels to fit without any rub. Some guys simply use hex extenders, but that puts more strain on the bearings. I got the Truggified idea from a Monster Senton on this forum awhile back ?
Yes, extending the axel hubs stresses the bearings for sure. More so on the inners. Especially if you are using the stock hub carriers and the stock inner bearing

I didn't think you needed the arms or full cvd's, just the axle carriers, axle/cvd stubs and hexes. Wasn't sure.

I had thought the outcast/kraton ran different arms/axles/carriers/hex's, but looking at the v3 kraton vs v2 outcast parts explosions, the parts appear all the same. Maybe it was the talion that was different.

Thanks for the reply! By any chance do you have the part numbers for those that were mentioned? If not it's all good. I am at work right now, but I can do more researching as soon as I get home. Really appreciate everyone's help thanks a ton.

Hey so i looked up all the parts i need to truggify my typhon, please tell me i found the right ones lol.

Arrma KRATON 6s BLX 17mm Hex Hubs 16.5mm Adaptors outcast Talion red AR106040
Arrma KRATON 6s BLX HUBS bearings Front/Rear V4 2019 Uprights Blocks AR106040
ARRMA AR310590 CVD Axle 8x44.5mm Kraton (2)
Arrma Rear Stub Axle 4x5x44mm 2013 Spec (2) ARAAR310400

Please correct me if i'm wrong, or have a part missing. Thanks in advance always appreciated!

Hey so i looked up all the parts i need to truggify my typhon, please tell me i found the right ones lol.

Arrma KRATON 6s BLX 17mm Hex Hubs 16.5mm Adaptors outcast Talion red AR106040
Arrma KRATON 6s BLX HUBS bearings Front/Rear V4 2019 Uprights Blocks AR106040
ARRMA AR310590 CVD Axle 8x44.5mm Kraton (2)
Arrma Rear Stub Axle 4x5x44mm 2013 Spec (2) ARAAR310400

Please correct me if i'm wrong, or have a part missing. Thanks in advance always appreciated!
Looks right to me. Don't have part #s handy, but if they're Kraton parts you should be good ?

Yes, extending the axel hubs stresses the bearings for sure. More so on the inners. Especially if you are using the stock hub carriers and the stock inner bearing
The stock hubs still have the advantage of minute flex. That's why I stick with them. Light, cheap, and overall effective.

The stock hubs still have the advantage of minute flex. That's why I stick with them. Light, cheap, and overall effective.
Right u r dude! And you would know. (y)

Right u r dude! And you would know. (y)
You guys recommend me to swap my typhon hexs, stub axels, and hubs to Kraton Kraton hexs, stub axels, and hubs, right? I keep reading on here that if i just simply add some Hex extenders, it will cause too much stress on my typhon and will lead to parts breaking easier right? I'm actually hoping you guys tell me i need to buy those Kraton parts, so i can tweak my Typhon a bit. Thanks a lot!

I have some and I'd wait for reviews. I also bought the PL plastic 17mm switchers. aluminum set is $80 for all four wheels.
Strap some Duratrax buggy tires that have tread like badlands and run it. ? If you do the higher pinions rethink the durability.
"Duratrax buggy tires that have tread like badlands" I thought I was the only one who called them that as well LOL

I got home tonight and decided I couldn't wait to try the new Trenchers. I did this and am afraid because I have 20t and no work on the diffs yet. I'm afraid to blow em out.
We have youth shooting camp at work this week and a 14yo boy told me he has a couple Traxxas vehicles. A newer 4x4 vxl rustler included. ... I let him run my Granite 3s tonight.
Anyway, I told him I'd bring a big truck tomorrow and decided to show him the belted Trenchers. The Typhon is what I'll show and have two 6s packs ready. I think I'll break something if I show off but we do what we gotta do. I plan to show off some.
Set up to impress the kids but I'll prolly impress myself at the same time.
These were saved for the Granite or BRCC but what the hell? Just see what happens.

I got home tonight and decided I couldn't wait to try the new Trenchers. I did this and am afraid because I have 20t and no work on the diffs yet. I'm afraid to blow em out.
We have youth shooting camp at work this week and a 14yo boy told me he has a couple Traxxas vehicles. A newer 4x4 vxl rustler included. ... I let him run my Granite 3s tonight.
Anyway, I told him I'd bring a big truck tomorrow and decided to show him the belted Trenchers. The Typhon is what I'll show and have two 6s packs ready. I think I'll break something if I show off but we do what we gotta do. I plan to show off some.
These were saved for the Granite or BRCC but what the hell? Just see what happens.

View attachment 43790
That looks beautiful! Did you add on the Kraton parts, or just slapped those trenchers on it? I can't wait for mines to arrive lol.

View attachment 43790
As a customer from proline for like forever now, (not really, maybe 7 years) I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the tires will definitely handle a 20 tooth spur with 6 cell lipo. They really do make good stuff, it's kind of what they built their brand around. On all the MT's I've owned over the years, I've always ran their tires when the stock ones blew out, and despite not being belted (older tires) they never came unglued or blown apart so long I vented them properly. Speaking of venting... can you vent belted tires? Or are they sealed inside?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back