Losi RC models are crap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Losi parts may not be available online when I need them, or don't want to drive 1 hour each way to LHS. I shop for replacement parts on jennysrc, so if they have parts, I will stock up. If they OUT, never know when stock will replenish.

I have 4 RC's don't need another one to buy parts for. Better safe than sorry when it comes to parts, when you live over 1 hour from a LHS, or cant wait 5 days for shipping.
I agree with your philosophy, but damn, that's alot of spare parts. Especially when you don't know what parts you really need. While I love the idea of having a relationship with a LHS, I don't have any desire to spend more time and money for something I can have delivered to my door. Love JRC too👌

Why do you buy all those spares you may never need? I only buy replacements when something breaks. At least on current models with good parts availability.
Did you miss the part about Losi being notorious for releasing models and then suddenly discontinuing them.

I like my Losi LMT monster truck. Running it on 6s, 150a brushless esc and 4076 2000kv motor. So much torque and power.

View attachment 239851

View attachment 239852

View attachment 239853
That looks amazing!
Did you miss the part about Losi being notorious for releasing models and then suddenly discontinuing them.
I've never at any point in time been unable to find anything I'm looking for but sometimes I have to order off of eBay for things that are a couple decades-old.

That looks amazing!

I've never at any point in time been unable to find anything I'm looking for but sometimes I have to order off of eBay for things that are a couple decades-old.

Me personally I cannot find the diffs for the Losi Mini 8ight they are like unicorn tears. Also the center drive shaft and chassis for the 1/14 Rally, 1/14 Deseret Truck, Vaterra Kalahari, and the Vattera Kemora also do not exists unless you buy an entire car. Those are just a few of the the parts I can think of off the top of my head.

I have seen other members on here mention in other threads over the years that they cannot find such and such part for their Losi vehicle some of which aren't even that old. Either @3d-rc.myshopify.com or @gotnitro even had a current car that had parts that were listed as discontinued.

This is the only place I can find that has them "in stock" I trust this place like I trust a fart after eating Taco Bell. https://www.cgesss.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=223533

Last edited:
Me personally I cannot find the diffs for the Losi Mini 8ight they are like unicorn tears. Also the center drive shaft for the 1/14 Rally, 1/14 Deseret Truck, Vaterra Kalahari, and the Vattera Kemora also do not exists unless you buy an entire car. Those are just a few of the the parts I can think of off the top of my head.

I have seen other members on here mention in other threads over the years that they cannot find such and such part for their Losi vehicle some of which aren't even that old. Either @3d-rc.myshopify.com or @gotnitro even had a current car that had parts that were listed as discontinued.

This is the only place I can find that has them "in stock" I trust this place like I trust a fart after eating Taco Bell. https://www.cgesss.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=223533
All good points about trying to find unicorn tears, whether it's Losi, Associated or any brand, just sucks. I don't dislike Losi rigs, but do agree they're too quick to drop a model and move on. As much as I crap talk on TRX, no problems with parts support in general. I've gained alot of respect for TRX in recent years for just such reasons. The LMT does seem like a fun rig, as do other Losi's but I'm reluctant to buy them knowing it may disappear rather quickly.

Me personally I cannot find the diffs for the Losi Mini 8ight they are like unicorn tears. Also the center drive shaft and chassis for the 1/14 Rally, 1/14 Deseret Truck, Vaterra Kalahari, and the Vattera Kemora also do not exists unless you buy an entire car. Those are just a few of the the parts I can think of off the top of my head.

There was a set recently on eBay that i had on my watch list. Maybe i should have bought it, since i laugh like a school girl every time i take mine for a drive on 3s with that 2845 can I recently installed.

Pics of my silly mini.

PXL_20220429_193032654.jpg

PXL_20220610_151222064.jpg

PXL_20220429_193240959.jpg

All good points about trying to find unicorn tears, whether it's Losi, Associated or any brand, just sucks. I don't dislike Losi rigs, but do agree they're too quick to drop a model and move on. As much as I crap talk on TRX, no problems with parts support in general. I've gained alot of respect for TRX in recent years for just such reasons. The LMT does seem like a fun rig, as do other Losi's but I'm reluctant to buy them knowing it may disappear rather quickly.

Yup they release models then after maybe a year they are gone, Losi 22ST, Losi 22 rtr buggy, and the Losi LST 3XL-E are a few I can think of.

There was a set recently on eBay that i had on my watch list. Maybe i should have bought it, since i laugh like a school girl every time i take mine for a drive on 3s with that 2845 can I recently installed.

Pics of my silly mini.

View attachment 240220

View attachment 240221

View attachment 240222

I have a few Minis. I also have a 1/14 Desert Truck roller minus diffs in a box under my bed.

20211016_002256.jpg

Yup they release models then after maybe a year they are gone, Losi 22ST, Losi 22 rtr buggy, and the Losi LST 3XL-E are a few I can think of.

I have a few Minis. I also have a 1/14 Desert Truck roller minus diffs in a box under my bed.

View attachment 240223
Sounds like you tend to hold on to them for the long term? Me too.. more because I hate selling anything. I've got alot of paper weights gathered🤣🤣

I'm now jealous lol
What are each of those minis?
From left to right, WL Toys 144001, LC Racing EMB-1, LC Racing EMB-TGH, Vaterra Kalahari and Ecx Ruckus 1/18 4wd.

Sounds like you tend to hold on to them for the long term? Me too.. more because I hate selling anything. I've got alot of paper weights gathered🤣🤣

No I bought it because I needed a diff and center drive shaft for the Kalahari I was kind of upset that one of the diffs in the 1/14 Desert Truck was stripped.............

On a semi related note, why does the shock parts kit for the Losi Tenacity DB Pro come with preload clips? It has aluminum threaded shocks.

Hmmm🤔…. What else you got up under your bed? 😂
A few dozen cat toys, my metal detector, some dryer lint, a dead cat you know the usual stuff.

From left to right, WL Toys 144001, LC Racing EMB-1, LC Racing EMB-TGH, Vaterra Kalahari and Ecx Ruckus 1/18 4wd.

No I bought it because I needed a diff and center drive shaft for the Kalahari I was kind of upset that one of the diffs in the 1/14 Desert Truck was stripped.............

On a semi related note, why does the shock parts kit for the Losi Tenacity DB Pro come with preload clips? It has aluminum threaded shocks.
Wow, that's a lot of minis. What are your perspectives on each of them?

Wow, that's a lot of minis. What are your perspectives on each of them?
The WL Toys 144001 is a cheap crappy clone of the EMB-1 and I wouldn't buy one unless it's on sale for $50, you can toss every upgrade available at it and it still won't be as good as the EMB-1 is stock out of the box. Its biggest design flaws are the fixed spur, unsealed diffs, mod 0.7 gears and the fixed motor mount, not that you can change the gearing anyway as 99.99999999999999% of the mod 0.7 gears use a 6mm shaft and are for boats or something. There are literally 2 pinions that I know of that will work other than the stock one and they have a 2.3mm shaft.

The Lc Racing vehicles are race vehicles by heart and they are very similar to the Losi Mini 8ight except they have sealed diffs front and rear. I like to run them around the home made track that we have here. You can jump them but the stub axles can break if you land on one wheel. Parts are inexpensive and readily available from numerous places. So far this is the best mini platform that I have used.

The Vaterra Kalahari is based on the Losi Mini 8ight, it's sort of like a Mojave compared to the Typhon. The car has been discontinued and as I previously mentioned the diffs, center driveshaft and chassis are pretty much unicorn tears at this point.

The Ecx Ruckus 1/18 would be a great platform except it has a fatal flaw, the diffs are made entirely of butter soft plastic and the internal gears strip rather easily and a new diff is $36. Horizon insists the diffs aren't a problem despite the fact that there is a 10 page thread on the Ecx forums about the diff problems and it was the primary discussion in the thread on rctech. There were diffs from Carisma that dropped right in but they are discontinued, the diffs from the Mini 8ight dropped right in you had to make driveshafts to work with them and again those are gone too. Hot Racing used to make a few upgrade parts for it but they are all being phased out of production and most are already sold out. I wouldn't buy another one as trying to fix the diff issue is not going to happen.

The WL Toys 144001 is a cheap crappy clone of the EMB-1 and I wouldn't buy one unless it's on sale for $50, you can toss every upgrade available at it and it still won't be as good as the EMB-1 is stock out of the box. Its biggest design flaws are the fixed spur, unsealed diffs, mod 0.7 gears and the fixed motor mount, not that you can change the gearing anyway as 99.99999999999999% of the mod 0.7 gears use a 6mm shaft and are for boats or something. There are literally 2 pinions that I know of that will work other than the stock one and they have a 2.3mm shaft.

The Lc Racing vehicles are race vehicles by heart and they are very similar to the Losi Mini 8ight except they have sealed diffs front and rear. I like to run them around the home made track that we have here. You can jump them but the stub axles can break if you land on one wheel. Parts are inexpensive and readily available from numerous places. So far this is the best mini platform that I have used.

The Vaterra Kalahari is based on the Losi Mini 8ight, it's sort of like a Mojave compared to the Typhon. The car has been discontinued and as I previously mentioned the diffs, center driveshaft and chassis are pretty much unicorn tears at this point.

The Ecx Ruckus 1/18 would be a great platform except it has a fatal flaw, the diffs are made entirely of butter soft plastic and the internal gears strip rather easily and a new diff is $36. Horizon insists the diffs aren't a problem despite the fact that there is a 10 page thread on the Ecx forums about the diff problems and it was the primary discussion in the thread on rctech. There were diffs from Carisma that dropped right in but they are discontinued, the diffs from the Mini 8ight dropped right in you had to make driveshafts to work with them and again those are gone too. Hot Racing used to make a few upgrade parts for it but they are all being phased out of production and most are already sold out. I wouldn't buy another one as trying to fix the diff issue is not going to happen.
I appreciate all that useful info, especially since my mini 8 is one of the most enjoyable vehicles i own. It's just funny to see something that small go that fast. Before i installed the larger motor, 2845mm, and esc, i had police radar it at 46mph on 3s, in a parking lot. Now it's faster but I'm not sure by how much. It looks like it goes close to 40 in the grass fields by my house, which is plenty for me. It's hard to keep upright, but the swaybars help immensely. I may be looking at one of the LC racing vehicles as a new acquisition next spring. Thank you for the unintended sales pitch LOL

I appreciate all that useful info, especially since my mini 8 is one of the most enjoyable vehicles i own. It's just funny to see something that small go that fast. Before i installed the larger motor, 2845mm, and esc, i had police radar it at 46mph on 3s, in a parking lot. Now it's faster but I'm not sure by how much. It looks like it goes close to 40 in the grass fields by my house, which is plenty for me. It's hard to keep upright, but the swaybars help immensely. I may be looking at one of the LC racing vehicles as a new acquisition next spring. Thank you for the unintended sales pitch LOL

I highly recommend the pro kit from Warren Rc imho it's the best option.

Please explain to me why these Losi RCs are crap and I shouldn't waste my money buying one or two of them
I can't explain that to you, because from my experience, Losi makes quite a few solid models.

One of my favorite bashing vehicles in my entire life so far has been the Losi Tenacity MT. They're discontinued now, and weren't very popular back in the day, but mine has consistently taken an absolute beating for 4 years without breaking. The Tenacity platform in general is extremely solid.

I loved my LST 3XLE, my 22ST, and my Aftershock when I had one many years ago.

If Losi has any potential shortcomings, it's that many of their vehicles aren't as "basher-focused" as Arrma or Traxxas, and they're expensive because you're paying for a high level of performance. Losi also tends to discontinue vehicles rather quickly unless they're top-sellers, which means parts support can become iffy over time.

But next to Arrma and Traxxas, Losi is my favorite manufacturer.

If you want a Losi, just get it. I've been drooling over some of their latest lineup that I probably won't be able to afford.

I can't explain that to you, because from my experience, Losi makes quite a few solid models.

But next to Arrma and Traxxas, Losi is my favorite manufacturer.

I've been drooling over some of their latest lineup that I probably won't be able to afford.
tyler perry madea GIF

Losi products have been pretty mediocre, especially when they recently started going for licensed products and "scale realism" instead of stuff that actually drives well and is durable.

TLR on the other hand... (y)

Back