Max8 went up in smoke. Get another or switch it up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately sensored won't be a viable option here. All mmx6s and mm2 combos have either 2200kv or their lower kv motors only are reportedly good up to 4s. I only have my small mah 6s packs that I run in my kaiju and the mt410. Same with the max8 g2 (which has questionably reliability anyway from what ive read).

Is it worth the castle esc without the castle motor?

I'm still lost as to why it should be expected that the hobbywing would die in these conditions. Getting warm, yes. Thermal shutdown, sure I would have taken that. But since when does warm or even hot mean automatic spontaneous eruption?

The irony here I guess is that this system would be fine running on 4s. In fact it would be rather average gearing. Everything else the same, going up to 6s should have decreased amperage slightly when used at the same power (which I did). In fact, temps went down.

I'm not entirely convinced it was overgeared, being as temps were in check. Unless we want to assume that hobbywing escs are more likely to spontaneously go up in flames like the spektrum's -- the easiest way I can resolve this in my head is to think I got a lemon. Perhaps somehow a cap was damaged during shipment or something that caused the failure. And perhaps that checks out because this was an rtr version that came in a bag, not a padded box.

The mm2 is much lighter than the max8 and about the same size, but it handled the 4985 just fine....??

I'm not saying that the gearing itself was at fault more that the likelyhood of the retail one dieing would have been the same. You likely got the short straw on the silicone lottery. I've seen a few of the retail ones burst into flames randomly before FWIW.

Yeah the MM2 handled it just fine temps were about the same as the Max6. Like I said I couldn't even tell the difference between the two.

Last edited:
If we consider that it was potentially the aggressive gearing that pushed this specific max8 over the edge, if I were to go with a 6s castle combo (1515 2200kv), should i be concerned about running the 2200kv setup with my current setup (it would be effectively gearing it up even more, but would the mm2 or mmx handle the power better)? What about if I went down to backflip LPs? I see lots of people with the 2200kv setup in their mt410 running 6s in product reviews, but I don't have a background on the tires they are running. Still seems like you'd be limiting yourself to the smallest possible pinion size.

You likely got the short straw on the silicone lottery.
This I agree with.

Seeing some of the good experiences folks on the forum had with them, I leaned hard into the aliexpress RTR esc's and bought a max10 sct as well for my big rock. However, it's showing similar symptoms that the max8 was showing before failure (even when geared for stock speeds). And i've only had these for about a month. I'd like to think it's all just bad luck. But two ESCs and $140 bucks later, i'm feeling hard pressed to want to trust aliexpress ESCs again.

My buddy bought an RTR max8 and max10 sct from aliexpress as well, so i'll be keen to see how those do.

If we consider that it was potentially the aggressive gearing that pushed this specific max8 over the edge, if I were to go with a 6s castle combo (1515 2200kv), should i be concerned about running the 2200kv setup with my current setup (it would be effectively gearing it up even more, but would the mm2 or mmx handle the power better)? What about if I went down to backflip LPs? I see lots of people with the 2200kv setup in their mt410 running 6s in product reviews, but I don't have a background on the tires they are running. Still seems like you'd be limiting yourself to the smallest possible pinion size.
You might be getting sick of hearing my opinions here, so I'll shut up after this comment, but no - I don't think the MMX6S/2200kv combo would do well on 6S either. You really need a lower kv motor to run 6S in that truck.

You might be getting sick of hearing my opinions here, so I'll shut up after this comment, but no - I don't think the MMX6S/2200kv combo would do well on 6S either. You really need a lower kv motor to run 6S in that truck.
I agree, too high a kv motor for an MT, unless we're talking 1/10.. even the stock k6 rtr is a stretch at 2050kv I feel..
I still think the $60 1550kv Rocket motor from amazon would be a great choice, even an rtr 150 should handle it. Max amps for that motor are 108..Just my opinions of course.. keep in mind I'm a low budget basher,so🤷‍♂️

I have that combo in my ET48 and it gets a little warmer than I would like on 4s I couldn't imagine what it would be like on 6s.
I agree, too high a kv motor for an MT, unless we're talking 1/10.. even the stock k6 rtr is a stretch at 2050kv I feel..
I still think the $60 1550kv Rocket motor from amazon would be a great choice, even an rtr 150 should handle it. Max amps for that motor are 108..Just my opinions of course.. keep in mind I'm a low budget basher,so🤷‍♂️
Do note that being a Tekno unless he wants to relocate the esc he is limited to 75mm cans. This is the Castle 2200kv motor in my ET48 which is the same chassis layout as the MT410.

20210710_233116.jpg

Last edited:
I have that combo in my ET48 and it gets a little warmer than I would like on 4s I couldn't imagine what it would be like on 6s.

Do note that being a Tekno unless he wants to relocate the esc he is limited to 75mm cans. This is the 2200kv motor in my ET48 which is the same chassis layout as the MT410.

View attachment 296960
I think he’s referring to the 4274 rocket motor mentioned earlier in the thread, which would fit fine with an MMX6S.

Good to know about the 2200kv combos. Surprising so many are running that on 6s. I'm currently running the kraton 4074, so I'm definitely aware I have no more room for a longer motor.

I don't necessarily have a specific motor in mind, I'm considering all the options. The castle stuff of course catches my eye. Would love to have money to drop on a sweet system. But I also have other trucks to repair. Shoot I was even looking at the new v2 hobbystar 150a esc with their temp sensor 4272 motor in 1500kv. It would be geared way down, so For $160 ish together, it can't be a terrible deal.

I can dream, but I'm more likely to compromise with a mm2 and 4274 rocket motor.

Oh I was thinking he meant this one for some reason https://www.amazon.com/Rocket-Senso...350kv&qid=1682969639&sr=8-5&tag=arrma-20&th=1, I didn't even see he linked to another one.
Yep, 4076.. I forgot how tight things are in there.. 2mm might as well be a yard in the ET/MT chassis..just soo tight.
Idk, tough to get a budget 6s setup in an ET/MT chassis I guess. I know it's been done. I'm glad to be satisfied by 4s in it😁
I'm considering dropping a 19t pinion (18t currently) into my stretched mt410 running truggy tires.. I'm running against my brother's Talion exb on 6s. I need just a tick more on the straights I think..🤔

6v or 7.4v doesn't really matter too much to me for the MT410. Even a weak servo can steer the thing pretty well. The biggest draw of a nice ESC are the programming options. Honestly, on a SWB truck (and especially running copperheads), going from 25% to 50% braking makes a HUGE difference. 25 just isn't enough, and 50% makes it front flip like crazy :LOL:. 37.5% is just right, but the 8bl150 only has 25 and 50%. Also, having more degrees of punch can help for fine tuning launching and flipping.

At $130ish for a take off corally, i'd just as soon get a brand new ESC for $150 like the mm2 or potentially a max8 v3 for $135 ("reputable" seller depending).

I tempted the "buy once, cry once" gamble a while back already. My Jennys spektrum ESC and this aliexpress Max8 are laughing at my from the grave. Do i just go big and buy a $180 MMX6s and not cry again???
Set the brake to 50% in the esc and set your throttle endpoint down a bit on the braking side in your transmitter!

Do note that being a Tekno unless he wants to relocate the esc he is limited to 75mm cans. This is the Castle 2200kv motor in my ET48 which is the same chassis layout as the MT410.

View attachment 296960
Sweet MT there. (y)
Yea, I run 1900kv (HW sensored) in my MT410 with 4s. On 6s she was too wild and got hot. Even with lower gearing. So I set it up for 4s with a taller gear. 2200 kv is rather high for an off road Basher rig, IMHO.
For racing, some track guys are using 2200kv, but again on 4s packs only. And their kit rigs are much lighter.

Perhaps it's my fault for buying an RTR hobbywing ESC from aliexpress. Perhaps it's just bum luck. It was running in my mt410, so its not like it was working very hard.

Would you be concerned with buying another from aliexpress? Would you get another max8 but from a "reputable" seller? Would you switch it up and try something else?

Im usually a "jump right back up on the horse when I fall" kind if person. But I've got a limited budget and had very recently purchased this max8, so I'm a bit sour.
Depending on when you bought it, it might be under warranty still. Check their policy. It's either 1 year or 2. I personally like Castle Creations. I use the Mamba Monster X series and love them. I hook up my laptop to it n set the programs I want but that me. Goodbluck to which ever way you go.

HobbyWing has a 90 day warranty.
I am all in with 8 HW sensored ESC's so far. All are fine. Some very old now. No failures if you don't abuse them and keep them Dry. No RC electrics are truly WP or WR, like they say.
Never crossed over to the CC stuff....Yet that is. :cool: HW treating me good.

Perhaps it's my fault for buying an RTR hobbywing ESC from aliexpress. Perhaps it's just bum luck. It was running in my mt410, so its not like it was working very hard.

Would you be concerned with buying another from aliexpress? Would you get another max8 but from a "reputable" seller? Would you switch it up and try something else?

Im usually a "jump right back up on the horse when I fall" kind if person. But I've got a limited budget and had very recently purchased this max8, so I'm a bit sour.
Max8 1 blew flames out it's side ( a Kraton with matching 2250kv motor). I replaced it with a Monster X 8s. Max8 2 cogged and gagged like it had a short in it ( a MT410 with matching 2250kv motor). I replaced it with a Monster 2 esc. This is the only model of Hobbywing esc I've ever had problems with. You should consider a Castle Monster 2 for your MT. It's not too pricey, it'll fit your truck, and mine are first releases and are still in continuous use.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Good to know that I'm not the only one with a bum max8. Really interested in the mmx, especially since it will only be $10 more than the mm2 with the tower hobbies coupons. But budget wise, dipping into the mm2/mmx territory will mean I will have to wait a while for my weekly "allowance" to catch up in order to get a suitable motor. Any reason the mmx shouldn't be able to handle my current setup for now? Eventually I'll grab a 4274 rocket or hobbystar motor around 1600kv.

I know many will probably protest, but rcjuice has their new v2 4268 motors on sale. I'm tempted to pick one up. Some will say "it's not enough", but on 6s and conservative gearing, the kaiju does it fine without a fan, so I wonder if it would be a decent budget option in the mean time.

Follow up:

Just had some time to tear into the max8. Confirmed the fan is still working, and there was no debris around it. Anyone good at diagnosing an esc failure from pictures? These are the only oddities that caught my eye.
20230506_195436.jpg

Apparently this is where the esc started smoking. It looks like it's coming from the rx/servo wire. Maybe a BEC issue? I need to take the servo and rx out and test them with another system to make sure they work.
20230506_195902.jpg

Not sure what this was around the base of one of the cap packs. It could be some of the coating that sprayed here. Maybe a cap that was blown? It's stiff like the rest of of the coating.

Follow up:

Just had some time to tear into the max8. Confirmed the fan is still working, and there was no debris around it. Anyone good at diagnosing an esc failure from pictures? These are the only oddities that caught my eye.
View attachment 297937
Apparently this is where the esc started smoking. It looks like it's coming from the rx/servo wire. Maybe a BEC issue? I need to take the servo and rx out and test them with another system to make sure they work.
View attachment 297938
Not sure what this was around the base of one of the cap packs. It could be some of the coating that sprayed here. Maybe a cap that was blown? It's stiff like the rest of of the coating.
I think you are going to need to tear down much further and scrape the conformal coating to see what blew. Often though with power electronics what actually failed may be a symptom of another failure upstream.

The cap on the right looks like it is bulging. You could try and remove all three and test them.

How long are your battery wires?

Sweet MT there. (y)
Yea, I run 1900kv (HW sensored) in my MT410 with 4s. On 6s she was too wild and got hot. Even with lower gearing. So I set it up for 4s with a taller gear. 2200 kv is rather high for an off road Basher rig, IMHO.
For racing, some track guys are using 2200kv, but again on 4s packs only. And their kit rigs are much lighter.
ET48.3

1683433769632.jpeg

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Good to know that I'm not the only one with a bum max8. Really interested in the mmx, especially since it will only be $10 more than the mm2 with the tower hobbies coupons. But budget wise, dipping into the mm2/mmx territory will mean I will have to wait a while for my weekly "allowance" to catch up in order to get a suitable motor. Any reason the mmx shouldn't be able to handle my current setup for now? Eventually I'll grab a 4274 rocket or hobbystar motor around 1600kv.

I know many will probably protest, but rcjuice has their new v2 4268 motors on sale. I'm tempted to pick one up. Some will say "it's not enough", but on 6s and conservative gearing, the kaiju does it fine without a fan, so I wonder if it would be a decent budget option in the mean time.

I ran the MM2 with the BLX185 2050kv motor in my ET48 for like 4 or 5 months before I put the MMX in it and no issues.

Follow up:

View attachment 297937
View attachment 297938

Looks like a goober of the epoxy.

Don't have an electrical background, so i don't know that I'll be tearing too much deeper into the esc. But if I have time, I might pick into it and look further. Maybe a good chance to familiarize myself. What's dead is dead though. Or not so? Is there anything I might be able to tell from a dead esc?

Battery wires are approx 4 to 6 inches. Per your typical rtr length.

I ran the MM2 with the BLX185 2050kv motor in my ET48 for like 4 or 5 months before I put the MMX in it and no issues.
To make sure I'm not being dumb and misunderstanding here: if keeping the same gearing here -- as long as temps are in check I shouldn't have an issue running this with either a mm2 or mmx? Right?

Don't have an electrical background, so i don't know that I'll be tearing too much deeper into the esc. But if I have time, I might pick into it and look further. Maybe a good chance to familiarize myself. What's dead is dead though. Or not so? Is there anything I might be able to tell from a dead esc?

Battery wires are approx 4 to 6 inches. Per your typical rtr length.

To make sure I'm not being dumb and misunderstanding here: if keeping the same gearing here -- as long as temps are in check I shouldn't have an issue running this with either a mm2 or mmx? Right?
I only ran mine on 4s with Sweep Racing Defender T truggy tires. I keep forgetting you are running 6s with Copperheads so I am not sure.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back