Max8 went up in smoke. Get another or switch it up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Run a TC 6s esc? I’ve heard good stuff
Yep, unfortunately so has everyone else.. which is why they're now double in price from 2 years ago. LOL. The one I linked earlier from Chicagoland RC is like $125+tax, free shipping. Cheapest I've seen a Torox 185 in a while..
The "no warranty" doesn't bother me..🤷‍♂️

Yep, unfortunately so has everyone else.. which is why they're now double in price from 2 years ago. LOL. The one I linked earlier from Chicagoland RC is like $125+tax, free shipping. Cheapest I've seen a Torox 185 in a while..
Ah. There’s my one thing a day I learned! School didn’t teach me nothing today🤠

I also saw those HW esc’s on Aliexpress. In some buyer comments I read those were a knock-off. There are also sellers that state they sell OEM ones, but for nearly the MSRP as a LHS.
I also buy from Ali, mostly parts that my LHS doesn’t have, usually small inexpensive parts. I’m quite skeptical about buying electronics from Ali, I feel it’s like flipping a coin whether you get something good and reliable. I’d consider a relatively cheap motor to try though.

I see Jennyrc has two rebranded Hobbywing 8BL150 Quicrun for sale: Savage X Flux 6s esc and Colossus 6s esc. Both for around $85.
The 8BL150 is in a lot of cars and it’s in my FTX DR8. I run it on 4s with some aggressive gearing for offroad (why not😉) and that esc takes a lot of beating.
I run that esc in one of my kraton 6s cars and in both my talion's always on 6s never had a problem with any of them only trouble is there just 6v no 7.4 v

Those things were a steal back in the day. But there's no way I'd pay $125 for one.

6v or 7.4v doesn't really matter too much to me for the MT410. Even a weak servo can steer the thing pretty well. The biggest draw of a nice ESC are the programming options. Honestly, on a SWB truck (and especially running copperheads), going from 25% to 50% braking makes a HUGE difference. 25 just isn't enough, and 50% makes it front flip like crazy :LOL:. 37.5% is just right, but the 8bl150 only has 25 and 50%. Also, having more degrees of punch can help for fine tuning launching and flipping.

At $130ish for a take off corally, i'd just as soon get a brand new ESC for $150 like the mm2 or potentially a max8 v3 for $135 ("reputable" seller depending).

I tempted the "buy once, cry once" gamble a while back already. My Jennys spektrum ESC and this aliexpress Max8 are laughing at my from the grave. Do i just go big and buy a $180 MMX6s and not cry again???

6v or 7.4v doesn't really matter too much to me for the MT410. Even a weak servo can steer the thing pretty well. The biggest draw of a nice ESC are the programming options. Honestly, on a SWB truck (and especially running copperheads), going from 25% to 50% braking makes a HUGE difference. 25 just isn't enough, and 50% makes it front flip like crazy :LOL:. 37.5% is just right, but the 8bl150 only has 25 and 50%. Also, having more degrees of punch can help for fine tuning launching and flipping.

At $130ish for a take off corally, i'd just as soon get a brand new ESC for $150 like the mm2 or potentially a max8 v3 for $135 ("reputable" seller depending).

I tempted the "buy once, cry once" gamble a while back already. My Jennys spektrum ESC and this aliexpress Max8 are laughing at my from the grave. Do i just go big and buy a $180 MMX6s and not cry again???
What happened to your spektrum esc?

Is there really any big difference between the mmx6s and mm2 if pairing with a rocket/hobbystar/surpass motor?
I always vote sensored but otherwise a pretty small difference I think. I remember reading a post here from a Castle employee saying the MMX6S is like 15% more powerful. But I could have it wrong.

Paging @slick2500 who loves his MM2s.

You're triggering my PTSD just asking about my spektrum experience... ;)
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/will-a-max6-solve-all-my-problems.54026/
Typical fire ball for the 150a ESC.

Is there really any big difference between the mmx6s and mm2 if pairing with a rocket/hobbystar/surpass motor?
Honestly I couldn't tell the difference between the Max6 and the MM2 when running it with the Hobbywing 4985 1650kv motor.
I always vote sensored but otherwise a pretty small difference I think. I remember reading a post here from a Castle employee saying the MMX6S is like 15% more powerful. But I could have it wrong.

Paging @slick2500 who loves his MM2s.
I actually only have 1 MM2 but 2 Max 6 escs.

What a shame that happened..but yeah using aliexpress for such an important power adder is simply asking for trouble.

Not being rude or anything..but i wouldn't dream of buying say a motor/esc from an online site like them.

Their great for other things but yeah there's a 99.9% chance what went up in smoke was a fake.;)

What a shame that happened..but yeah using aliexpress for such an important power adder is simply asking for trouble.

Not being rude or anything..but i wouldn't dream of buying say a motor/esc from an online site like them.

Their great for other things but yeah there's a 99.9% chance what went up in smoke was a fake.;)

I hate sounding like a broken record on this but but those are 100% legit Hobbywing made electronic speed controllers, I have never seen or heard of anyone making a fake speed controller, knockoffs and clones sure. There is no such thing as a fake Hobbywing esc. You have OEM or RTR.

BTW this is as close to a fake Hobbywing esc I have ever found, it is a clone of the Hobbywing Xerun 120A, you can even flash it with Hobbywing Firmware using the Hobbyking program dongle. https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/120A-ESC-Sensored-brushless-motor-esc_60600281874.html

Sorry just got around to reading the rest of this thread.

There’s your problem. You had that poor ESC geared for 70mph in an off-road truck with huge tires.

No 1/8 scale ESC would survive that for long.

IMO the MT410 needs a lower kv motor to run 6S. Perhaps 1300-1600kv range.
This all of this ^.

It doesn't matter that it was a RTR unbranded version from Aliexpress or if it was an official Hobbywing esc directly from Hobbywing themselves, the official one would have died as well.

I have a handful of the RTR escs and I have never had any issues with them.

Last edited:
Wait.. I run a firma 150a 2050 on a 16t in my kexb, no problemo, and its almost 4lbs heavier!?
Are u saying that there are no counterfeit esc's or "fakes" @slick2500 !? 🤔
I've never seen one, I've never even seen anyone even so much as mention any ever existing. There is more proof that Bigfoot exists than there is that there are counterfeit or fake escs on the market.

PS you have bigger balls than I have running the Firma 150a on the speed pinion, with as much as they like to start on fire I barely trust them on the stock gearing.

I always vote sensored
Unfortunately sensored won't be a viable option here. All mmx6s and mm2 combos have either 2200kv or their lower kv motors only are reportedly good up to 4s. I only have my small mah 6s packs that I run in my kaiju and the mt410. Same with the max8 g2 (which has questionably reliability anyway from what ive read).

Is it worth the castle esc without the castle motor?
It doesn't matter that it was a RTR unbranded version from Aliexpress or if it was an official Hobbywing esc directly from Hobbywing themselves, the official one would have died as well.
I'm still lost as to why it should be expected that the hobbywing would die in these conditions. Getting warm, yes. Thermal shutdown, sure I would have taken that. But since when does warm or even hot mean automatic spontaneous eruption?
I've never seen one, I've never even seen anyone even so much as mention any ever existing. There is more proof that Bigfoot exists than there is that there are counterfeit or fake escs on the market.

PS you have bigger balls than I have running the Firma 150a on the speed pinion, with as much as they like to start on fire I barely trust them on the stock gearing.
The irony here I guess is that this system would be fine running on 4s. In fact it would be rather average gearing. Everything else the same, going up to 6s should have decreased amperage slightly when used at the same power (which I did). In fact, temps went down.

I'm not entirely convinced it was overgeared, being as temps were in check. Unless we want to assume that hobbywing escs are more likely to spontaneously go up in flames like the spektrum's -- the easiest way I can resolve this in my head is to think I got a lemon. Perhaps somehow a cap was damaged during shipment or something that caused the failure. And perhaps that checks out because this was an rtr version that came in a bag, not a padded box.

The mm2 is much lighter than the max8 and about the same size, but it handled the 4985 just fine....??

Unfortunately sensored won't be a viable option here. All mmx6s and mm2 combos have either 2200kv or their lower kv motors only are reportedly good up to 4s.
The MM2 is not a sensored ESC.

The MMX6S works with any standard sensored motor. The motor does not have to be Castle. There’s room for an MMX6S and a 4274 size motor.

https://www.rcjuice.com/hobbystar-4274-4-pole-brushless-sensored-motor-1-8-truggy-monster-truck.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1336651152...GLMtWKkTgS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The MM2 is not a sensored ESC.

The MMX6S works with any standard sensored motor. The motor does not have to be Castle. There’s room for an MMX6S and a 4274 size motor.

https://www.rcjuice.com/hobbystar-4274-4-pole-brushless-sensored-motor-1-8-truggy-monster-truck.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1336651152...GLMtWKkTgS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
As long as they're all plug and play from the various manufacturers (never had a sensored system, so i can't speak to any of that).

Are there any issues with running the mmx with an unused/exposed sensor port? (still wary about going full sensored for now, with the talk i've seen about how sensitive they are to hard bashing castle's warnings on water). I'd just as soon save some money and go mm2, but with the way the tower coupons are applied, the mmx is only 10 dollars more.

As long as they're all plug and play from the various manufacturers (never had a sensored system, so i can't speak to any of that).

Are there any issues with running the mmx with an unused/exposed sensor port? (still wary about going full sensored for now, with the talk i've seen about how sensitive they are to hard bashing castle's warnings on water). I'd just as soon save some money and go mm2, but with the way the tower coupons are applied, the mmx is only 10 dollars more.
The MMX comes with a dummy plug to cover the sensor pins if they won’t be used. I have bashed my Castle systems in snow and wet conditions plenty of times. Based on my personal experience, they aren’t any more susceptible to water damage or other issues from hard bashing. I have about ten Castle ESCs.

You’ll love the sensored operation if you decide to try it. It really changes the driving experience. Plus automatic motor temp monitoring and shutoff means you never have to worry about temps.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back