Max8 went up in smoke. Get another or switch it up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hector_Fisher

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton EXB
Perhaps it's my fault for buying an RTR hobbywing ESC from aliexpress. Perhaps it's just bum luck. It was running in my mt410, so its not like it was working very hard.

Would you be concerned with buying another from aliexpress? Would you get another max8 but from a "reputable" seller? Would you switch it up and try something else?

Im usually a "jump right back up on the horse when I fall" kind if person. But I've got a limited budget and had very recently purchased this max8, so I'm a bit sour.

Perhaps it's my fault for buying an RTR hobbywing ESC from aliexpress. Perhaps it's just bum luck. It was running in my mt410, so its not like it was working very hard.

Would you be concerned with buying another from aliexpress? Would you get another max8 but from a "reputable" seller? Would you switch it up and try something else?

Im usually a "jump right back up on the horse when I fall" kind if person. But I've got a limited budget and had very recently purchased this max8, so I'm a bit sour.
How much did you pay for it.. very possible it's a copy cat max8!! 😱

What are you running for tires, motor and voltage? If only 4s, you should be able to get away with a 130a esc..such as a Torox from JRC.
How much did you pay for it.. very possible it's a copy cat max8!! 😱
Was thinking it could be an off spec esc if it's from AliEx. Not sure, but there's clearly a reason someone unauthorized has max8 for sale.. unless they are genuine take offs.. but how to tell?🤔🤷‍♂️

The possibility of an off brand knockoff version goes up thru AliExpress ..... not saying it is or not.....

I usually purchase thru manufacturer or "reputable" RC retailer ..... more recourse with warranty, etc.

Yeah...... sorry this happened to ya....

What seller did you use? With that luck I would be leary of purchasing again, stick with the real deal if you can 😉.

Sorry about the failures. 😞

I like all my HW ESC's. like 8 in all. Most are the sensored types. None have failed me. But I always get them from Hobbywing Direct. Authorized USA distributor. The warranty will stay in effect. Shipping is free and very fast. Sometimes there are discounts codes. HW purchased globally outside of channels, to save some coin, will void the warranty... none in effect out the box! HW states this clearly. There are also many Bootleg knockoff versions of HW products out there. FWIW.
I would skip another Max8 altogether. They were known to run hot and have issues as HW ESC's go. It is old now. I believe it is becoming discontinued. Get a different HW ESC direct from HW site.
This Gen 2 version has replaced the Max8 and is Sensored now. Get the HW sensored motor for it, get the combo. One option.

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/ezrun-max8-esc-g2?variant=40122439139443

I would say a Max 6 8s ESC (non sensored) would work also, Using a 6s or 4s. Just that the MT410 has very limited space for larger ESC's.
I run the HW XR8 Plus sensored combo in my MT410. It just barely fits. Like a glove. But makes it by aprox. 3 mm, so it doesn't hit the motor and clears the Servo/mount.

The MT410 is very deserving and worthy of a Sensored ESC and Motor. I run mine on 4s. Seems to be way better controllable. MT410 is a light rig. On 6s I hated it.

Last edited:

https://chicagolandrc.com/products/...n-shogun-cor54011?_pos=3&_sid=f013cdf65&_ss=r

It's entirely possible that it was a copy or knockoff.

I picked the "most reputable" seller on aliexpress that sells these (highest customer rating and has been around since 2016) and that had done many orders of the product and had good reviews back. About as good as you can get on aliexpress. With hindsight being 20/20, yeah I would have bought "authentic" to begin with.
Screenshot_20230501-090308_Chrome.jpg

I was running on 6s (a lightweight 4000mah lipo) with kraton copperheads and 2050kv spektrum motor, running 14t or 15t. By all accounts, the max8 should have been able to handle it. But perhaps it was a down-spec'd version.

I guess I should have heeded the "buy once, cry once" wisdom! But overall it sounds like I would have been less likely to have this problem if I had bought direct or from a major distributor.

I was running on 6s (a lightweight 4000mah lipo) with kraton copperheads and 2050kv spektrum motor, running 14t or 15t. By all accounts, the max8 should have been able to handle it.
There’s your problem. You had that poor ESC geared for 70mph in an off-road truck with huge tires.

No 1/8 scale ESC would survive that for long.

IMO the MT410 needs a lower kv motor to run 6S. Perhaps 1300-1600kv range.

Last edited:
It's entirely possible that it was a copy or knockoff.

I picked the "most reputable" seller on aliexpress that sells these (highest customer rating and has been around since 2016) and that had done many orders of the product and had good reviews back. About as good as you can get on aliexpress. With hindsight being 20/20, yeah I would have bought "authentic" to begin with.
View attachment 296720
I was running on 6s (a lightweight 4000mah lipo) with kraton copperheads and 2050kv spektrum motor, running 14t or 15t. By all accounts, the max8 should have been able to handle it. But perhaps it was a down-spec'd version.

I guess I should have heeded the "buy once, cry once" wisdom! But overall it sounds like I would have been less likely to have this problem if I had bought direct or from a major distributor.
Sounds reasonable to me.. only things I can think of are a off spec esc, or possibly voltage sag from the 4000mah battery did the esc in..🤷‍♂️
Sucks regardless..
Would 6v BEC suffice? JRC has this..
https://jennysrc.com/products/colos...g-cen-reeper-9519?_pos=1&_sid=02f086603&_ss=r

There’s your problem. You had that poor ESC geared for 70mph in an off-road truck with huge tires.

No 1/8 scale ESC would survive that for long.

IMO the MT410 needs a lower kv motor to run 6S. Perhaps 1300-1600kv range.
That's certainly a different perspective that I wasn't expecting, but one that's good to discuss.

My initial thoughts when i made this build were:
If I run a Kraton with the included 15t speed pinion (which many do) on the stock spektrum ESC, speed calc comes out not very far off (I'm getting 67.5 on the mt410 vs 61.5 on the kraton). Considering the kraton is significantly heavier, i wouldn't think it would be that far fetched to assume my gearing was not insane. Aggressive, yes, but not bonkers. Then account for the fact that the max8 has a much better reputation for reliability than the firma 150, and personally accounting for my own driving style (putting around hitting jumps, frequently stop and chat up with buddies that came along), I was under the impression that I was within the realms of sanity.

Don't get me wrong, I knew this setup would get plenty warm. But with ESC and motor fans running, the max8 should have thermal throttled itself before melting down. Or no?

That's certainly a different perspective that I wasn't expecting, but one that's good to discuss.

If I run a Kraton with the included 15t speed pinion (which many do) on the stock spektrum ESC, speed calc comes out not very far off (I'm getting 67.5 on the mt410 vs 61.5 on the kraton). Considering the kraton is significantly heavier, i wouldn't think it would be that far fetched to assume my gearing was not insane. Aggressive, yes, but not bonkers. Then account for the fact that the max8 has a much better reputation for reliability than the firma 150, and personally accounting for my own driving style (putting around hitting jumps, frequently stop and chat up with buddies that came along), I was under the impression that I was within the realms of sanity.

Don't get me wrong, I knew this setup would get plenty warm. But with ESC and motor fans running, the max8 should have thermal throttled itself before melting down. Or no?
I thought your setup sounded reasonable as well.. considering how light an mt410 is compared to a kraton, IDK.
I run low end stockish electronics in pretty much everything. Just works for me..🤷‍♂️
$137.00 seems very high for that "take off" Torox. ( and no warranty):unsure:
I hear it is dependable. Just there are better choices out there?(y)
It's just a HW rebrand anyway.
Perhaps.. I agree, $130 is steep, but I'd take my chances there before buying a G2 Max8. They're known fire starters.. I bought a couple of the Torox esc's from JRC when they were $85 each, glad I did. I suppose the Firma 150 is an option too.

Last edited:

I hear you. The logic sounds fine. I just tend to over-build to avoid even the possibility of an issue.

My perspective is that if you have to use the smallest pinion that fits to maybe be okay, and you still "knew this setup would get plenty warm", then you're pushing the limits. Maybe it won't cause an issue but the chances are higher.

I currently run an MMX8S and 1520 1650kv on 6S and honestly it's just too much. I plan to dial it down with either 4S or a smaller motor/ESC.

I ran MMX6S and 1350kv 4274 on 6S in my MT410 for a long time and it was great. Powerful and heat under control. I might go a little higher if I redid it - maybe around 1500kv - but much lower than the 2050kv you're rocking.

Last edited:
I hear you. The logic sounds fine. I just tend to over-build to avoid even the possibility of an issue.

My perspective is that if you have to use the smallest pinion that fits to maybe be okay, and you still "knew this setup would get plenty warm", then you're pushing the limits. Maybe it won't cause an issue but the chances are higher.

I currently run an MMX8S and 1520 1650kv on 6S and honestly it's just too much. I plan to dial it down with either 4S or a smaller motor/ESC.

I ran a 1350kv 4274 on 6S in my MT410 for a long time and it was great. Powerful and heat under control. I might go a little higher if I redid it - maybe around 1500kv - but much lower than the 2050kv you're rocking.
Fair points. To be honest, i used the smallest pinion possible not because of heat issues, but because i didn't want that much speed. I think i'm just disappointed that the ESC grenaded. I checked temps regularly and didn't see anything abnormal (130F at most), so there was no indication for me of imminent failure. I would have gladly accepted a thermal shutdown and used that as an indication of deeper issues and probably reassessed gearing/motor choice. However, none of that matters at this point as here we are.

I'm game to rebuild to the power plant and get it right. MMX6s (w 1515), MM2 (w 1515), and Max8 V3 (w 4274, you can occasionally find them) combos are on my radar. But they are all 2200kv. I'm considering a "build it myself" combo w max8 v3 and rocket motor to get a lower kv. Eventually i'll switch to LP backflips to increase controllability once budget replenishes (i had the copperheads already laying around when i built this).

I also saw those HW esc’s on Aliexpress. In some buyer comments I read those were a knock-off. There are also sellers that state they sell OEM ones, but for nearly the MSRP as a LHS.
I also buy from Ali, mostly parts that my LHS doesn’t have, usually small inexpensive parts. I’m quite skeptical about buying electronics from Ali, I feel it’s like flipping a coin whether you get something good and reliable. I’d consider a relatively cheap motor to try though.

I see Jennyrc has two rebranded Hobbywing 8BL150 Quicrun for sale: Savage X Flux 6s esc and Colossus 6s esc. Both for around $85.
The 8BL150 is in a lot of cars and it’s in my FTX DR8. I run it on 4s with some aggressive gearing for offroad (why not😉) and that esc takes a lot of beating.

I also saw those HW esc’s on Aliexpress. In some buyer comments I read those were a knock-off. There are also sellers that state they sell OEM ones, but for nearly the MSRP as a LHS.
I also buy from Ali, mostly parts that my LHS doesn’t have, usually small inexpensive parts. I’m quite skeptical about buying electronics from Ali, I feel it’s like flipping a coin whether you get something good and reliable. I’d consider a relatively cheap motor to try though.

I see Jennyrc has two rebranded Hobbywing 8BL150 Quicrun for sale: Savage X Flux 6s esc and Colossus 6s esc. Both for around $85.
The 8BL150 is in a lot of cars and it’s in my FTX DR8. I run it on 4s with some aggressive gearing for offroad (why not😉) and that esc takes a lot of beating.
My sentiments as well. I am weary of half priced anything, unless it's take offs from a known source.. FWIW, my nearly 3 year old kaiju esc is hangin tough.. mostly 4s but, that actually is harder on an esc than 6s when all else is equal. A motor will pull more amps when running on lower voltage, all else else being same, ie tires and weight. So, if my kaiju rtr has been overgeared, subjected to countless snow days and such like it definitely has.. it's a pretty darned good esc IMO.
Only real drawback is 6.0v BEC. Fine for me though🤷‍♂️

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back