MIP Hex tools over time...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
Question

I want to get a set of MIP hex tool drivers for 1.5, 2.0, 2.5mm usage. How do they last over time? I know they fit well and like a tight glove. Take one year or 2-3 years of good RC usage do their tips begin to have a little wiggle inside the hex screw when used to tighten/loosen. Have you replaced the MIP hex tool over time...OR do they still fit tight like a glove years later?

Like to know their mileage overtime...

Thx

Best driver so far for me, the protek tools i had are just junk. The tips are amazon quality they round up and destroy ur hardware. I remplaced almost every screw who had play with the mip driver. I bought a vortex set of screws from jenny. Best buy ever
Also being shorter you have more control on what ur doing. If the deiver was longer it might cause precision issues imo because its easier to strip

Buy em. Quality is the best out there. Plus the hex is long enough to shorten up over time if they start to loose their bite.
Mine weren't.

Question

I want to get a set of MIP hex tool drivers for 1.5, 2.0, 2.5mm usage. How do they last over time? I know they fit well and like a tight glove. Take one year or 2-3 years of good RC usage do their tips begin to have a little wiggle inside the hex screw when used to tighten/loosen. Have you replaced the MIP hex tool over time...OR do they still fit tight like a glove years later?

Like to know their mileage overtime...

Thx
Yes they do end up wearing some. But to be honest, if I had to buy them every year (I haven’t) it would still be worth the price.

I just got a set and it is an eye opener.

Just through a few major repairs last weekend and I should have got a set a long time ago.

I can add nothing to the 'over time' conversation but they are awesome.

You can tell it is a quality metal and superior fabrication or mill work or whatever. They make working on the trucks so much easier and I'll never buy another cheap driver.

On another note! I got a super cheap 4V Ryobi lithium battery driver and a set of metric hex bits that fit the 1/4" chuck off le amazon. I have reliable tools to torque or crack screws and now I have a little power tool to speed things up.

The ryobi 4V thing cost me like 40 bucks and the bit set was like 10.

Helps with those 40mm shock tower screws.

Best driver so far for me, the protek tools i had are just junk. The tips are amazon quality they round up and destroy ur hardware. I remplaced almost every screw who had play with the mip driver. I bought a vortex set of screws from jenny. Best buy ever
Also being shorter you have more control on what ur doing. If the deiver was longer it might cause precision issues imo because its easier to strip
I have a set of Proteks that were purchased at the same time as the MIPs, and they are punch for punch just as good at the driver end. The handles on the Proteks make them much better for a to-go kit, but the MIPs have a slightly larger handle which can be better for old hands.

Honestly, if I had to buy them again, I'd go with the Proteks over the MIPs since the per-driver cost is slightly less for an equal tool

I have a set of Proteks that were purchased at the same time as the MIPs, and they are punch for punch just as good at the driver end. The handles on the Proteks make them much better for a to-go kit, but the MIPs have a slightly larger handle which can be better for old hands.

Honestly, if I had to buy them again, I'd go with the Proteks over the MIPs since the per-driver cost is slightly less for an equal tool
Its with the protek that i started rounding off screws out of the blue. I had 2 2mm bits both went to junk quick. The 2.5mm is junk but i still use it

Its with the protek that i started rounding off screws out of the blue. I had 2 2mm bits both went to junk quick. The 2.5mm is junk but i still use it
Been over a year and mine are still snug enough if you aren't parallel to the screw it takes a good yank to remove from the driver tip

I have arthritic old man hands that work 12 hours a day. Bigger handle is selling feature for sure.

I need the extra leverage/torque because I am old and decrepit.

Been over a year and mine are still snug enough if you aren't parallel to the screw it takes a good yank to remove from the driver tip
Mine had play from day1. Thats why they sended me a second one i though it was defective. And they shipped everything that was on my cart by accident for free🤣. Lucky enough i only had the yeah racing fan

Thanks all for the replies....this is excellent feedback. Hope it helps others down the road.

With all this, I got my answer. Agree with nothing lasts forever... I just wanted to know if I bought these quality ones was it unusual to have to replace them after time....from normal wear.

See if I get something in my head that it should long last...then I get a little pissed when they begin to fail. Knowing they are good BUT there could be a possibility of wear and replacement...then I am cool with that.

As I get better, I want to step up my tools as well. As I revisit my rigs after 1yr+ I can see the cheap tools I used did more damage to the screws. So I am replacing the bad ones and at the same time using better tools to not eat them out.

Thx All

My 2mm MIP rounded off after about a year or so.
Feel you.....definitely my most used tool....thx for the update Sir

Yes they do end up wearing some. But to be honest, if I had to buy them every year (I haven’t) it would still be worth the price.
Agree....knowing this help my decision. Thx Sir

Nothing last forever... But, MIP is very good tools.
Have a buddy with a set....agree!

Thanks all for the replies....this is excellent feedback. Hope it helps others down the road.

With all this, I got my answer. Agree with nothing lasts forever... I just wanted to know if I bought these quality ones was it unusual to have to replace them after time....from normal wear.

See if I get something in my head that it should long last...then I get a little pissed when they begin to fail. Knowing they are good BUT there could be a possibility of wear and replacement...then I am cool with that.

As I get better, I want to step up my tools as well. As I revisit my rigs after 1yr+ I can see the cheap tools I used did more damage to the screws. So I am replacing the bad ones and at the same time using better tools to not eat them out.

Thx All

Feel you.....definitely my most used tool....thx for the update Sir

Agree....knowing this help my decision. Thx Sir

Have a buddy with a set....agree!
I know they have some awesome warranty, but they are so far superior to other tips (I have tried a lot) that I feel guilty using the warranty. I just bought a new set recently and even the new set vs the 2yr old set is a huge difference.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back