Outcast Mmx8s vs max 5

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBOB

Reaction score
Anyone running a MMX8S castle esc with a hobby wing 800kv motor instead of a max 5 esc?Trying to decide what’s the best esc to go with with the hobby wing 800kv motor

If that 800kv HW motor you are referring to, is the 56113 can motor, it's a Non Sensored Motor, FWIW.
Going with the MMX8S ESC, it is a Sensored capable ESC. But you run that HW motor with it in Sensorless mode.
I don't own either or any 8s Arrma rig.
Seems the HW ESC may be the better match. IDK. With a 30+ pound heavy 8s platform, the CC XLX2 may even be the better choice if your wallet permits. Do you already have the 800kv motor, and just looking for a good ESC for it???
Just some food for thought.
See what other 8s guys say.:cool:

thats a tough one. The mmx8s is a great esc and will run that motor no problem. I think the new max 5 g2 might be a good choice though. I assume it will run cooler than the mmx8s but I really don't know.

@Moirae, Wouldn't the XLX2 be the better choice with this heavy 8s platform?
Definitely! the max 5 g2 and mmx8s compete heavily in price though so it makes for some interesting options. I think I'd go max 5 g2 over mmx8s though. The option to mess around with 12s is a nice one to have though these arrma 8s drivetrains were definitely not made to withstand it. Sure doesn't stop people from trying though :ROFLMAO:

Id vote max5. Easier to program on the fly and very reliable. Currently use it on my M2c'd and vitavon'd out 8s exb(800kv HW motor) and it handles the weight and power no problem.

yes, i run the MMX8s but with a Hobbystar 56113 780kv, (very similar to HW), 1:1 gearing. throws my over weight k8s like its a toy. been running it since 2020 with no problems except the cheap fan replace with a hobbystar lumnum one.

Last edited:
I've run both ESCs in my Outcast 8S EXB with a 56113 motor. Max5 (not G2) and MMX8S.

The MMX8S is more powerful. More punch off the line. The Max5 runs a little cooler. Both ESCs are durable and are really comparable overall.

After trying both, I decided to stick with the Max5 since I hate worrying about temps and I'm running a non-sensored motor anyway.

I agree with @Moirae - the 50 amp increase of the Max5 G2 makes it seem like a prime candidate for these rigs.

I've run both ESCs in my Outcast 8S EXB with a 56113 motor. Max5 (not G2) and MMX8S.

The MMX8S is more powerful. More punch off the line. The Max5 runs a little cooler. Both ESCs are durable and are really comparable overall.

After trying both, I decided to stick with the Max5 since I hate worrying about temps and I'm running a non-sensored motor anyway.

I agree with @Moirae - the 50 amp increase of the Max5 G2 makes it seem like a prime candidate for these rigs.
If I decide to run a MMX8S esc in my outcast exb I will probably throw a game changer 40mm fan on the Mmx8s esc and two 40mm fans on the motor and run all three fans on a separate small 3s battery I haven’t made up my mind yet

Last edited:
If I decide to run a MMX8S esc in my outcast exb I will probably throw a game changer 40mm fan on the Mmx8s esc and two 40mm fans on the motor and run all three fans on a separate small 3s battery I haven’t made up my mind yet
I had a 4028 fan on my MMX8S and two 4010 fans on the motor. The BEC ran my 70kg servo and all three fans just fine.

Look at eBay or aliexpress for 4028 12V fans. I usually pay like $5 per fan and I bet they push just as much air as the expensive game changer fans.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back