More Hobbywing Max6 Problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take 2!
Sup. Cool to see you’ve bought a castle. My main truck weighs just over 16 pounds, and I haven’t had a heat issue with any castle products. I drive very hard. Now, from my understanding and experience, the MMX is a bit less powerful then the MM2’s I’ve been using (here’s a screenshot from years ago)
View attachment 40073
More FET= MORE POWAH
Now the MMX is a lot more advanced though. Sensored capability and stuff. I bash with a partner who runs it in a talion. It runs consistently hotter than my old MM2 (as I now use an extreme) but nothing major. He got it to 170 at the absolute maximum on the hottest day.

And to be honest I’d trace it down to the damn fan. I don’t like the 140f thing. My advice is to buy some fan that can plug into your receiver and run 24/7 (like MM2’s were set up) However, if you like the silence, keep it how it is. I just like sticking on the safe side.

Let us know how this one goes. Also I want everyone to know there’s a massive shortage of materials in Asia if you haven’t noticed, so many retails like castle @ home.castlecreations.com are completely out of stock, and in their case, for a little over 2 months. I’m pretty sure the mmx comes with a free castle link. The mm2’s and mmm’s did. If not, buy one. Literally a must have.
Now I know I should run the MM2 in my Outcast and put the Max8 in the D8T.

Last edited:
Now I know I should run the MM2 in my Outcast and put the Max8 in the D8T.
If you can find one.
I have contacts on other forums (if they’re still around to this day) and if you’re interested I might be able to get them to help you force flash hacked version 1.24 firmware onto ur esc... but that’s a can of worms. Let’s keep it simple.

My MMX and MXLX did not come with the link, but with a coupon you have to send in or request on-line, to get one free. Still waiting on my second one. Got a message that they are out of stock, like said above......

If you can find one.
I have contacts on other forums (if they’re still around to this day) and if you’re interested I might be able to get them to help you force flash hacked version 1.24 firmware onto ur esc... but that’s a can of worms. Let’s keep it simple.
I already have the MM2.

I already have the MM2.
Oh ok. I mean whatever truck is heavier and gets more air put it in. In general they’re a lot more durable because there’s no aluminum in the structure... lots of flex. No smashing.

i've orderd 2 new Max 6's, i needed 1 for a new car but ill try both in several cars and motors. will post results.
But my guess results will be like 99.9% of others and the total 11 HW ESC's we have.

Just a reminder, especially everyone - not Every ESC works perfect with every Motor... e.g motor size vs Kv.. if you run outside the range it was made for it will cog bad..

Remember the max 6 is a 1/6esc designed to run big 58mm with low kv motors... and what is being complained about is someone is running a small 40mm motor and complaining they don't work properly :ROFLMAO:
Not really liking the vibe. I'm fairly certain I know what I'm doing. People run Max6's with the motors I'm running all the time. The previous Max6 worked fine with the motor I am running. This one was bad out of the box. Have you ever had one that doesn't make any beeps? Is that normal in your estimation? How about the fan port not working? Or one of the three ports for the motor leads not working? Normal? HW warrantied it so they must have determined something was wrong with the last one. And I guarantee you they will warranty this one. So really. Lose the attitude. The f@cking thing doesn't work. And neither did the last one.

My MMX and MXLX did not come with the link, but with a coupon you have to send in or request on-line, to get one free. Still waiting on my second one. Got a message that they are out of stock, like said above......
Ah that blows. Yeah a few people told me their mmx’s didn’t come with it, but I didn’t want to draw conclusions.

Oh ok. I mean whatever truck is heavier and gets more air put it in. In general they’re a lot more durable because there’s no aluminum in the structure... lots of flex. No smashing.

Definitely the Outcast, I'm also putting a 4282 Leopard Hobby motor in it.

Definitely the Outcast, I'm also putting a 4282 Leopard Hobby motor in it.
Nice man. That thing should be a ripper. If you can, order a yeahracing fan JIC you decide to go through water... made my stock fan a little slow in the head till it started smoking. I thought it was the esc, then I realized the truck was still running perfectly ?

Not really liking the vibe. I'm fairly certain I know what I'm doing. People run Max6's with the motors I'm running all the time. The previous Max6 worked fine with the motor I am running. This one was bad out of the box. Have you ever had one that doesn't make any beeps? Is that normal in your estimation? How about the fan port not working? Or one of the three ports for the motor leads not working? Normal? HW warrantied it so they must have determined something was wrong with the last one. And I guarantee you they will warranty this one. So really. Lose the attitude. The f@cking thing doesn't work. And neither did the last one.
I'm also fairly certain that the Max6 can run any brushless motor that does not exceed it's limits not the other way around...…………...

I'm also fairly certain that the Max6 can run any brushless motor that does not exceed it's limits not the other way around...…………...

Seriously. My tiny 40mm diameter motor is killing the Max6. Please. If I didn't already remove it from my Notorious and box it up, I'd go make a video...first running the 4082 motor like dogcrap and then with my other Max6 running the same motor flawlessly. But I'm not going through the hassle just to prove it to Mr. Hobbywing. And it's not like I wrote "Don't buy a Max6!" I'm just said I'd have a hard time recommending one. But maybe some people like replacing fans every other pack.

it wouldnt run our small 1/10 motors at all, it just cogged and couldnt even get it moving properly.
i put it back on a 800kv monster and it ran flawless and still is.

all im sharing is my results. HW make most of the available ESC's, just like when People say Team Orion stuff is highest quality but is built by HW and just has a higher output, maybe why they smoke so often- who knows.

it wouldnt run our small 1/10 motors at all, it just cogged and couldnt even get it moving properly.
i put it back on a 800kv monster and it ran flawless and still is.

all im sharing is my results. HW make most of the available ESC's, just like when People say Team Orion stuff is highest quality but is built by HW and just has a higher output, maybe why they smoke so often- who knows.
And I'm just sharing mine. The Max6 and its variants is one of the most popular replacements for the BLX185 and I can guarantee you that most people are running 40xx motors with it and it runs fine.

After reading this and having it explained to me I went on the Hobbywing site. Listed in the max6 specs is motor kv ratings. For 6s it says less than or equal to 1500kv.. I saw that before but admittedly thought it meant the opposite. Now I’m wondering if that has been causing my thermal issues. Not necessarily what bickety has experienced.

After reading this and having it explained to me I went on the Hobbywing site. Listed in the max6 specs is motor kv ratings. For 6s it says less than or equal to 1500kv.. I saw that before but admittedly thought it meant the opposite. Now I’m wondering if that has been causing my thermal issues. Not necessarily what bickety has experienced.
We run the same 1730Kv motor, right (or is it 1710)? I had the fan die on me while running and I didn't know it. I had to reattach the battery after a big jump and saw it wasn't on. I felt the ESC and it was piping hot. But it hasn't thermaled. Personally I think there is something up with your ESC. So many people run the combo we are running and while they may have motor heat issues they don't have ESC heat issues.

We run the same 1730Kv motor, right (or is it 1710)? I had the fan die on me while running and I didn't know it. I had to reattach the battery after a big jump and saw it wasn't on. I felt the ESC and it was piping hot. But it hasn't thermaled. Personally I think there is something up with your ESC. So many people run the combo we are running and while they may have motor heat issues they don't have ESC heat issues.
I’m running the 2000kv 4082 motor. It’s happened with both my max6 and in a buddies running a 2200kv motor.

I’m running the 2000kv 4082 motor. It’s happened with both my max6 and in a buddies running a 2200kv motor.
I think the limit is based on 8s (you would want 1500 or lower for that). I can't think of any reason why a hardier ESC couldn't run a 2000kv motor that the BLX185 can run on 6s.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back