Granite More power

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dclee78

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hello and thanks in advanced, I just got my granite blx and was wondering where to get some bigger tires for it. Also upgrade to 4s yes or no?

local hobby shop should have what you need....That is a common wheel

Hello and thanks in advanced, I just got my granite blx and was wondering where to get some bigger tires for it. Also upgrade to 4s yes or no?

4s will require the upgraded composite slider driveshafts. I think 3s is more than enough for the truck.

Both 4s & larger (heavier) tires will wreck the driveshafts, but are possible. You will have to go 17mm on the hubs. Redcat's BS809-007 hubs works perfectly. The largest tires I've tried on it are regular Badlands 3.8. Any larger than that looks stupid & don't have enough clearance to turn. Try tightening the slipper if you want the best power out the system. It comes pretty loose & won't wheelie out the box.

Try tightening the slipper if you want the best power out the system. It comes pretty loose & won't wheelie out the box.

It must be hit and miss with Arrma on quality of some things, my Granite BLX on 3s will do crazy wheelies and flip completely over on dry pavement or grass, it still wheelies on 2s but they are a lot easier to control. I just wish I could find rubber wheels for the wheelie bar has anyone tried the Traxxas 5186A ones?

And I agree with bicketybam I think 3s is plenty of power for the Granite. I think 4s would be better suited for the Senton BLX since it has a lower center of gravity plus it has the center driveshaft bearing it would be better to race with than the Granite.

Both 4s & larger (heavier) tires will wreck the driveshafts, but are possible. You will have to go 17mm on the hubs. Redcat's BS809-007 hubs works perfectly. The largest tires I've tried on it are regular Badlands 3.8. Any larger than that looks stupid & don't have enough clearance to turn. Try tightening the slipper if you want the best power out the system. It comes pretty loose & won't wheelie out the box.

I'd love to see a picture of the 3.8 tire on the Granite.

I some pictures of my Merv with 3.9 Dynamite Speedtreads Shootout MT wheels and tires.

20160203_174655_zpskzdfatqc.jpg

I some pictures of my Merv with 3.9 Dynamite Speedtreads Shootout MT wheels and tires.

Thats pretty cool looking. Is it normal for a wheel to have a bit of wobble when its spinning? I had my Granite BLX upside down setting the throttle end points and I noticed 1 of my wheels wobbles when its spinning. Ive taken the wheel off looked at the center to see if its broke, its not, I took the hex off and put it back on and it still does it.

Thats pretty cool looking. Is it normal for a wheel to have a bit of wobble when its spinning? I had my Granite BLX upside down setting the throttle end points and I noticed 1 of my wheels wobbles when its spinning. Ive taken the wheel off looked at the center to see if its broke, its not, I took the hex off and put it back on and it still does it.

Might be a balance issue and it's pretty common. I wouldn't worry about it.

Might be a balance issue and it's pretty common. I wouldn't worry about it.
Actually I would worry about it. Balancing your wheels will save your hub bearings and diff outdrive bearings as well. An unbalanced wheel puts a lot of stress on the hub bearings and the diff outdrives. It's not hard to balance wheels the hardest part can be making the balance rig for 1/8 mt tires. Last time I checked there is not an off the shelf tire balancer that will fit anything larger than a 1/8 truggy tire.

Actually I would worry about it. Balancing your wheels will save your hub bearings and diff outdrive bearings as well. An unbalanced wheel puts a lot of stress on the hub bearings and the diff outdrives. It's not hard to balance wheels the hardest part can be making the balance rig for 1/8 mt tires. Last time I checked there is not an off the shelf tire balancer that will fit anything larger than a 1/8 truggy tire.

My bad. Sorry for the incorrect advice. I've never balanced my wheels and assumed it wasn't a major issue. What you say makes sense.

Might want to check the glue on that tire go all around the bead and see if the glue is coming undone anywhere.

Might want to check the glue on that tire go all around the bead and see if the glue is coming undone anywhere.

I've checked, and none of the glue has came loose. When I had the wheel off I spun the axle slowly and looked at the vehicle from the front at eye level and didnt see a wobble in the axle.

I've checked, and none of the glue has came loose. When I had the wheel off I spun the axle slowly and looked at the vehicle from the front at eye level and didnt see a wobble in the axle.

If your checking if it's the axle or the wheel swap wheels and see what happens.

When I put the rear wheel on the front it still wobbles. It did a cart wheel yesterday I wouldn't have thought that would have bent the axle but maybe it did. I wasnt jumping it, I just turned at a high speed and it was bumpy. Oh well thats a cheap fix either way. I might take the axle end off the other side and try it and see if it still wobbles before I order a part.

My bad. Sorry for the incorrect advice. I've never balanced my wheels and assumed it wasn't a major issue. What you say makes sense.
I've never done it either but I really need to.

When I put the rear wheel on the front it still wobbles. It did a cart wheel yesterday I wouldn't have thought that would have bent the axle but maybe it did. I wasnt jumping it, I just turned at a high speed and it was bumpy. Oh well thats a cheap fix either way. I might take the axle end off the other side and try it and see if it still wobbles before I order a part.
The part on the axle that the hex fits to is 6mm thick. It's not going to bend under the the worst landings. Now the stub axle part that you screw on the nut will break 9 times out of 10 b4 bending. These wheels are usually glued not in the best of conditions. If a tire is unbalanced from the glue job or the foam being uneven/torn then the only thing to do is reglue it. But doing a better job than factory is something even I have a really hard time doing. I'd rather just replace it if it's bugging you too much. wobbly tires can affect the bearings a bit, but nowhere near as much as the wear & tear from actually driving the thing.

The part on the axle that the hex fits to is 6mm thick. It's not going to bend under the the worst landings. Now the stub axle part that you screw on the nut will break 9 times out of 10 b4 bending. These wheels are usually glued not in the best of conditions. If a tire is unbalanced from the glue job or the foam being uneven/torn then the only thing to do is reglue it. But doing a better job than factory is something even I have a really hard time doing. I'd rather just replace it if it's bugging you too much. wobbly tires can affect the bearings a bit, but nowhere near as much as the wear & tear from actually driving the thing.

I hear you, I don't like glueing tires either, I bought a couple sets of amazon cheapos for my subotech bg1518, I got them glued but they didnt look that good. I am planning on getting a set of MX28s for my Granite soon so I will probably just let it go at this point. Its not out of balance enough to even vibrate off the stand when its running full throttle so it looks worse than it is I guess.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back