Motor bearing questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan B.

Area man
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Granite
  3. Limitless
  4. Mojave EXB
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 6s
  7. Typhon 6s
I’m going to be rebuilding a couple HW 4985’s and a couple Spektrum 6s RTR motors for the first time. I’ve heard ceramic hybrids are the way to go for motor bearings, but what about lubrication? I was thinking a couple drops of machine oil, and not grease. Also, what are the preferred brands of bearings on the high end side of the spectrum? Thanks. In all my time in the hobby I’ve never rebuilt a motor.

I’m going to be rebuilding a couple HW 4985’s and a couple Spektrum 6s RTR motors for the first time. I’ve heard ceramic hybrids are the way to go for motor bearings, but what about lubrication? I was thinking a couple drops of machine oil, and not grease. Also, what are the preferred brands of bearings on the high end side of the spectrum? Thanks. In all my time in the hobby I’ve never rebuilt a motor.
I use shag oil for motor bearings , actually us it for any of my bearing .a few drops is all you need. I buy mine at ace hardware store👍

16992073799486301286286421378948.jpg

When I ordered parts from scorched rc picked this up to $5. Good stuff! German made has to be good.

I use (hybrid) ceramics in motors.
Add a drop of bearing oil just in case. Hudy bearing oil part number 106230.
+1
I like to use a hybrid TRBRC

https://trbrc.com/5x16x5mm-stainless-hybrid-ceramic-brushless-motor-ball-bearing/

I’ve seen a number of recommendations for those. Do you know the sizes for the HobbyWing 4985 and also the Spektrum 6s motors?

I’d heard someone say to not use Bones in a ceramic motor bearing, I think because of high RPM’s? I actually have some that I use in suspension bearings.
I’ve used it with success. And I must say at the ripe age of 49, I still use my sons old long board from time to time, the best! I think there is a tube vid with a guy comparing oils for ceramics. Just like everything else in RC, the less CA you use on the side wall but in the bead, the less grease on the ring gear, the less oil on the bearing, the less debris collected.

got jim's bearings in one of my 2050kv motors and the rest I just get from modelsport high speed rated for brushless motors

I’ve seen a number of recommendations for those. Do you know the sizes for the HobbyWing 4985 and also the Spektrum 6s motors?

I’d heard someone say to not use Bones in a ceramic motor bearing, I think because of high RPM’s? I actually have some that I use in suspension bearings.
In my notes when I asked a long time back changing my bearings...the link is options these were my first notes:

2 bearings: HW4985
2- 6x19x6
https://jimsbearings.com/products/hobby-wing-4985-1650kv

Arrma
Arrma 3S,4S BLX 2400kv & 3200kv motor bearings:
2- 5x13x4 (older rigs)
2- 5x16x5 (newer rigs)

Arrma 6S 2050kv motor bearings:
1- 5x16x5
1- 5x13x4
1699228852050.png

Last edited:
My notes:
You want ABEC 3 or higher, ABEC 5 is high end for bashing imho.
Hobbywing 4985; bearing 6x19x6
6mm I.D, 19mm O.D., 6mm thick.
If you notice the markings say NWB 626Z SINGAPORE

Replacement:
https://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bearings/712/6x19x6-Metal-626ZZ-bearings.html

This is what I'm using and happy with it:
https://jimsbearings.com/collections/hobby-wing-motor/products/hobby-wing-4985-1650kv

Personally I would ever use ceramics but that is not what you asked. Ain't cheap and high qty only.
https://www.bocabearings.com/search...and&view=list&sli_jump=1&cnt=12&af=od:19 id:6

Ceramic "cheap"
https://www.acerracing.com/products/6x19x6mm-ceramic-ball-bearing-626-ceramic-bearing

https://www.fasteddybearings.com/6x19x6-bearing-kits/

So I have a question maybe in this thread you guys can answer. Exactly how will a bad motor bearing act. So the Typhon 3s v3 I have seems to sound fine at low throttle use then when 3/4 trigger sounds like sounds like something is loosely spinning, I just can't pinpoint where it's coming from it's like a high whine sound. But if I hold it in my hands and hit the throttle full I can't seem to hear it. It's weird I know, any help is appreciated 👍

just change the bearings there only cheap it could be any bearings on the car making a noise take the motor of the car and see it it rolls smoothly. I have had weird noises before and its been the esc on the way out 😐

So I have a question maybe in this thread you guys can answer. Exactly how will a bad motor bearing act. So the Typhon 3s v3 I have seems to sound fine at low throttle use then when 3/4 trigger sounds like sounds like something is loosely spinning, I just can't pinpoint where it's coming from it's like a high whine sound. But if I hold it in my hands and hit the throttle full I can't seem to hear it. It's weird I know, any help is appreciated 👍
Might only happen under load.only true way to find out is to tear it apart.check your motor bearings.mine did it on my Big rock after a few weeks of normal driving.i replaced the bearings and noise went away.almost like you said a high wineing noise
I personally myself never take bearings apart.i rather just replace with new ,good quality ones
.I have a few sets on hand.bearings are consumables.i think the only time I took a bearing apart was just to see what it looked like and to learn exactly how they work.ae people love to take them apart and clean them up .and lube them for me it's just easier to replace
They are cheap enough
To me any how. Good luck .hope you find your issue

Last edited:
Might only happen under load.only true way to find out is to tear it apart.check your motor bearings.mine did it on my Big rock after a few weeks of normal driving.i replaced the bearings and noise went away.almost like you said a high wineing noise
That's what it seems , but that motor was beat up bad before i got it. I may just swap power module from another 3s on it and see if it goes away , could eliminate that way??? 🤔 Far as bearings I replaced all wheel bearings from my infraction. I know theirs a shizzton more.the speed bearing on driveshaft moves as it should freely. I exposed that crown gear in the rear put some red n tacky #2 on that,(my kids go in my office frequently and can't take chances lol , I have to wait till I have more free time)still have to do the front. Thanks for the information fellas 👍🤙

Take out the motor and grab the pinion. You need new motor bearing(s) if:
- there is some play left-right or up/down your bearing(s) are bad,
- If it sounds crunchy when you turn it. You could try to clean them, but I’d replace them,
- If there is unusual resistance when you turn it. I mean there will be some additional resistance if you ‘hit’ a magnet, but if it’s 1/3 a lot of resistance and the redt of the turn way easier, than your bearings are bad. It’ll probably also be crunchy.
When you need new bearings, have a look at ceramic bearings.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back