Motor bearing questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m going to be rebuilding a couple HW 4985’s and a couple Spektrum 6s RTR motors for the first time. I’ve heard ceramic hybrids are the way to go for motor bearings, but what about lubrication? I was thinking a couple drops of machine oil, and not grease. Also, what are the preferred brands of bearings on the high end side of the spectrum? Thanks. In all my time in the hobby I’ve never rebuilt a motor.
@Dan B. I never use grease on motor BB's, the motor will fry on you. The BB's will get hot, gall out and explode. Been there.
SuperLube Synthetic High temp oil is the way to go. Or Liberty RC Syn oil. (AMZ) A tad thinner oil, great as well. Anything being Synthetic is best, whatever you choose. Even with Ceramics, oil is needed. Unlike with Full Ceramic BB's. Not used in RC's. Being Cost prohibitive.
RC Ceramics are technically Hybrid Ceramics. Because the races are still Chromium (sometimes SS). Only the Balls are Ceramic. Ceram. BB's run cooler. The whole motor overall will be cooler.
I like Superlube Syn Oil. And all you want is literally one small drop of oil. Don't flood the BB with oil. Less is more. Just makes a mess and dirt will migrate into the BB more so.
Make sure to absolutely oil the Brand new ones as well. Ideally before installing them, makes it easy.
Ceramic BB's still need maintenance like standard ones. Of about 6-7 Motors with ceramics, I've yet to replace one Ceram. BB over the years.
Just my spin.

Last edited:
Don't use red and tacky on motor bearings.use oil.everything else I use automotive bearing grease 👍
No I just used that on the open crown gear on the outside... Lol I would never do that
Here a video for a bit more context...

Video for more context

Last edited:
@Dan B. I never use grease on motor BB's, the motor will fry on you. The BB's will get hot, gall out and explode. Been there.
SuperLube Synthetic High temp oil is the way to go. Or Liberty RC Syn oil. (AMZ) A tad thinner oil, great as well. Anything being Synthetic is best, whatever you choose. Even with Ceramics, oil is needed. Unlike with Full Ceramic BB's. Not used in RC's. Being Cost prohibitive.
RC Ceramics are technically Hybrid Ceramics. Because the races are still Chromium (sometimes SS). Only the Balls are Ceramic. Ceram. BB's run cooler. The whole motor overall will be cooler.
I like Superlube Syn Oil. And all you want is literally one small drop of oil. Don't flood the BB with oil. Less is more. Just makes a mess and dirt will migrate into the BB more so.
Make sure to absolutely oil the Brand new ones as well. Ideally before installing them, makes it easy.
Ceramic BB's still need maintenance like standard ones. Of about 6-7 Motors with ceramics, I've yet to replace one Ceram. BB over the years.
Just my spin.
That’s great info, man. Thank you.

Having The Speed Cream, and only because my son wanted it for his Bones Swiss BB's skate board wheels , I still feel it is an overly priced Boutique Skate board niche lube. No complaints. Just there are other lubes out there just as good if not better for BB's, IMO. And Skateboard BB's only see high lateral and radial loads, not necessarily high speeds. Quite low RPMS in fact. They don't even spec their BB's with an Abec rating, like its a good thing according to them..
All BB's are either Abec spec'ed or are cheap. IMHO.

Last edited:
Bones speed cream.
+2 for speed cream. I also really like Gunold sewing machine oil but I felt like it went rancid or bad in some way after a few months (long before the pen was empty anyways) though I don't really have an explanation for how or why that would happen (it's not like it's an animal or plant oil so I know it didn't go rancid as such, it just didn't make the bearings run as smooth as it did in the first few months of use).

Synthetic oils tend to last longer shelf wise. But yes they can go rancid. Lose its properties. Especially Fat based or Plant based oils, that are cheaper.
And I find even new Car motor Oil in a sealed bottle, sitting for 5 + years actually goes bad. You will see it turn so dark, that it looks like Used dirty oil., with the additives all separated and sitting on the bottom of the bottle. Never use oil this old in your Cars engine. It foams up in the crank case, and all. That will be a fail.(n)
This is well known. New sealed bottled Car motor oil does have a shelf life.
Just a PSA.:giggle:

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back