Kraton Motor Swap...1515 or 1717 Castle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skids929

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 6s
Wrestling with this decision, not a huge fan of a wheelie truck..Is the 1515 Castle more powerful than the stock BLX motor even though it's less power?

1717 is awesome but I feel like it might be overpowered and I'd be looking for ways to settle it down. Looking to get thoughts on going with more power or equal less power with Castle.

Last edited:
The speed runners seem to be able to get a bit more speed out of the 2200kv 1515 vs the BLX185 2050 motor. But for bashing, most report the 2200kv 1515 overheats easy.

If you want more than the stock 2050kv motor, but think the 1717/4985 would be too much, then maybe one of the 4082 1750kv would be close to what you are looking for.

Last edited:
The speed runners seem to be able to get a bit more speed out of the 2200kv 1515 vs the BLX185 2050 motor. But for bashing, most report the 2200kv 1515 overheats easy.

If you want more than the stock 2050kv motor, but think the 1717/4985 would be too much, then maybe one of the 4085 1750kv would be close to what you are looking for.

thanks...Do you have a link to the motor you're suggesting? wasn't able to locate it.

An OEM castle 1515 will be a noticeable upgrade in temps but an eBay one will definitely, definitely perform the same or get hotter. I agree with all replies, but personally I’d grab a 4082 or 4092 motor. The weight isn’t as bad as a 1717 castle, but you’ll still have plenty of power.

I run a hobbystar 4092 1480kv motor in my k6, and the 1730 in my talion. All my 6s rigs run one or the other.

Last edited:
Thanks...These motors don't seem to be sensored..Does HS make sensored motors? Can't find their website online..How about Hobby Wing? Do they make some good drop in Motor set ups with sensors that anyone has used?

How about this fella here:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbyw...ed-brushless-motor-2200kv-hwa30401903/p696788
I don't believe they do. I don't run any sensored motors in any of my rigs though either. a max6/4985 combo would be fine too in the 1650kv persuasion.

I don't believe they do. I don't run any sensored motors in any of my rigs though either. a max6/4985 combo would be fine too in the 1650kv persuasion.

Thanks..You think a 1650kv will be a wheelie machine? I like a more linear power band if possible. Suppose I could just step it down to 4s as needed or can I address with punch control in the ESC?

Last edited:
Thanks..You think a 1650kv will be a wheelie machine? I like a more linear power band if possible. Suppose I could just step it down to 4s as needed or can I address with punch control in the ESC?
You could keep the punch low. My long wheelbase rigs stay planted a little better than the swb ones with the max6/hobbystars, but I don't mind if they wheelie a little. I run my kraton with the 1480kv motor geared 24/46

Thanks...These motors don't seem to be sensored..Does HS make sensored motors? Can't find their website online..How about Hobby Wing? Do they make some good drop in Motor set ups with sensors that anyone has used?

How about this fella here:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbyw...ed-brushless-motor-2200kv-hwa30401903/p696788
Realize that sensored does not mean more power, just smoother control at very low speeds. In fact, for the same size can, there is less room in the can for magnets/wire/rotor because the sensors take up a few mm of can length.

The motor you linked is a 4268 - a buggy size motor. I have a motor that size that I have run in a few different cars, mine is 2350KV. It has decent power, but not as much brute torque as the BLX2050 motor.

Without going with one of the Castle Big Block motors (like the 1717) probably the most powerful sensored motor you could get (that I know of) would be one of the Tekin Truggie motors. Their truggie motor is 4077, and they have KV choices between 1350 and 2250kv. Here is the 2000kv version, but backordered -
https://www.amainhobbies.com/tekin-...tion-brushless-motor-2000kv-tektt2346/p776492

As a side note I have a Tekin Pro4 4600 in my Tekno SCT410. This motor makes more power than any 3650 size motor should - it is brutal. On 2s, it has almost as much power as my china 3800kv 3660 on 3s.

Realize that sensored does not mean more power, just smoother control at very low speeds. In fact, for the same size can, there is less room in the can for magnets/wire/rotor because the sensors take up a few mm of can length.

The motor you linked is a 4268 - a buggy size motor. I have a motor that size that I have run in a few different cars, mine is 2350KV. It has decent power, but not as much brute torque as the BLX2050 motor.

Without going with one of the Castle Big Block motors (like the 1717) probably the most powerful sensored motor you could get (that I know of) would be one of the Tekin Truggie motors. Their truggie motor is 4077, and they have KV choices between 1350 and 2250kv. Here is the 2000kv version, but backordered -
https://www.amainhobbies.com/tekin-...tion-brushless-motor-2000kv-tektt2346/p776492

As a side note I have a Tekin Pro4 4600 in my Tekno SCT410. This motor makes more power than any 3650 size motor should - it is brutal. On 2s, it has almost as much power as my china 3800kv 3660 on 3s.

Thank you very helpful...Do the Tekin motors stack up in Bashing situations? I thought they were more of a race motor, but maybe I got some bad information. How are you running yours? Sounds like the 2250kv might be a good option if it will work well in bash.

They are racing motors, and among racing motors are often considered some of the best. I would not bash them in wet areas, the Tekin ESC's are very water sensitive. The motor should not be as moisture delicate, but I really don't know.

My Pro4 is in my Tekin SCT410, which is set up with 2.8 Badlands (standard, not the MX) and a bug body. I run it on 2s - I did try 3s, but the motor gets way too hot very quickly. On 2s it is geared for about 40mph (have not GPS'ed it). It will wheelie, but won't really backflip unless you have a big jump. But, 2s. :) My Granite won't wheelie (much) on 2s.

I found the lower KV motors have a much more linear power band and of course boat loads of torque for wheelies when you want them.
I didn't see what ESC you are using?
The factory BLX 185 ESC is just ok. Moving to a MMX8s will improve many things about the way the car drives/feels.

Last edited:
just wondering how you got on with this i know is been awhile since this was posted. Looking for a motor for my blx185 typhon 6s looking to go bigger pinion

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back