My 5687 1100KV MAX6 / Castle Mamba X8S build (Outcast 8S EXB)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sebcbien

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Outcast 8s
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Typhon 6s
Hello, almost decided to pull the trigger on an Outcast 8S EXB
I have in my drawer a MAX 6 and I would like to buy a Castle 2028 1100KV (216€) to pair with it (instead of an hobbywing 5687 1100KV at 178€).
I will lose the sensored link but I will save almost 400€ on the ESC ... (the combo XLX2/2028 is at 600€ here :eek:)
Thanks for your advice ! :)

Thanks for your advice !
The K8S stock has a max 6 or 5 ? not sure the way you wrote your sentence :unsure:
Here is a K8S with Max6 and 1100KV from Aussie, without a fan on the motor:
As for my drivings, I'm not a "mad" driver and I do not have large spaces to go crazy speeds but I do like moderate jumps (to spare wrenching) and forest bashing.
Will the Castle 1100KV draw more amps than the hobbywing 5687 ?

Thanks for your advice !
The K8S stock has a max 6 or 5 ? not sure the way you wrote your sentence :unsure:
Here is a K8S with Max6 and 1100KV from Aussie, without a fan on the motor:
As for my drivings, I'm not a "mad" driver and I do not have large spaces to go crazy speeds but I do like moderate jumps (to spare wrenching) and forest bashing.
Will the Castle 1100KV draw more amps than the hobbywing 5687 ?
The max 6 is very similar to the stock kraton 8s esc the 160 firma.

When you go and run castle to hobbywing remember the 2028 castle motors use 8mm pins on the leads whist the hobywing escs take 6.5mm
I ran into this problem. If you like to solder or have someone swap ends it will work. I'd also go with a max5. The 6 will be at it's limit. I run the 5687 hw/max5 and dig it. Any 1100kv motor is the sweet spot.

Hello, almost decided to pull the trigger on an Outcast 8S EXB
I have in my drawer a MAX 6 and I would like to buy a Castle 2028 1100KV (216€) to pair with it (instead of an hobbywing 5687 1100KV at 178€).
I will lose the sensored link but I will save almost 400€ on the ESC ... (the combo XLX2/2028 is at 600€ here :eek:)
Thanks for your advice ! :)
Go with the Max 5. The Max 6 cannot handle those big motors and the 30lbs beast.

Thanks for all your advises !

The Outcast 8S EXB is ordered ! :cool::giggle::love:🥰🤪🤪

I went ahead and bought a hobbywing 5687 1100KV, my finances are better without a castle combo :rolleyes:.

As the Max6 and the 5687 1100KV are sold together I thing I can't go wrong if I gear conservatively.

I bought a 29T pignon and will start with the 47T spur gear if it's too slow for my taste I'll try the 39T spur when watching temps.
My reasoning was that I had the Max6 already and no other use for It. If it blows I'll buy a Max5.
And also I do not have big spaces around to run 100% for 20 minutes, it's more forest bashing and this asks less to the system.

I'll report when/if it blows ;)

Thanks for all your advises !

The Outcast 8S EXB is ordered ! :cool::giggle::love:🥰🤪🤪

I went ahead and bought a hobbywing 5687 1100KV, my finances are better without a castle combo :rolleyes:.

As the Max6 and the 5687 1100KV are sold together I thing I can't go wrong if I gear conservatively.

I bought a 29T pignon and will start with the 47T spur gear if it's too slow for my taste I'll try the 39T spur when watching temps.
My reasoning was that I had the Max6 already and no other use for It. If it blows I'll buy a Max5.
And also I do not have big spaces around to run 100% for 20 minutes, it's more forest bashing and this asks less to the system.

I'll report when/if it blows ;)
It might not blow, but it might hit thermal or cut off. But yeah.

Hello,
Got it, build it and I run it ! 🥰
"Problem": The truck is crazy fast/violent with with 29/47...
I can wheelie at "any" speed

The lipos are heating much faster than in my X-MAXX and I can feel that it's over geared, at the slowest speed it's not cogging but it's not a smooth start either...

I took the Max6 from my X-Maxx (put back the velineon 8s in it).
The Max6 was on punch 3, I lowered it to 1 but not much difference.

Will a 25T pignon fit ?

Thanks !

20210827_005422.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, looks like I'm not understood by many here 🤣
My point is that I do not want to do 60mph and triple backflips duperbash style (with this truck)..
I just want long 20 minutes session while not overheating my motor and lipos, just bashing, long jumps, light skatepark jumps etc.
Temp in my country is moderate and I would like also to avoid fans on the motor.
Is 25T pignon the way to go ? Lower ? Does it fit ?
Thanks 😬

Last edited:
Ok, looks like I'm not understood by many here 🤣
My point is that I do not want to do 60mph and triple backflips duperbash style (with this truck)..
I just want long 20 minutes session while not overheating my motor and lipos, just bashing, long jumps, light skatepark jumps etc.
Temp in my country is moderate and I would like.also.to avoid fans on the motor.
Is 25T pignon the way to go ? Lower ? Does it fit ?
Thanks 😬
Yep a 25T will fit fine. I think the rtr O8s comes with a 19T stock, so you could gear even lower if you wanted. Lower gearing will definitely slow it down, cool it down and probably extend run times.

Hello,
Just received my 22T and 25T
The 22T seems perfect, the 25T is better than the 29T, but still a little too much speed/heat for me (I like to run without a noisy and breaking prone fan) 🤪Punch is at lowest settings and it still wheelies (on grass).
Temp is warm, but not too much after a run (20°C here now).

More test today, outside temp 22°C:

I modified the Max 6 setup with lowered temp cutoff at 105°C and with punch pushed to level 3.
Even at 105°C I had no cutoff, seem good ! I lowered to see if I was close to the max temp or not !

Wheelies are possible at medium speed and motor (without fan) is at 50°C after 10 min "hard on the trigger and wheelings on road".

I think this is the sweet "reasonable" spot (for me at least). 😬

Hope this helps !

Battery side, my Zop power 7000 40C where drained to 3.9V and where luke warm.
Not bad, but I thing the O8 is too heavy for those lipos.

Do some of you have recommendation on "light weight" but capable batteries ?
Thanks !

More test today, outside temp 22°C:

I modified the Max 6 setup with lowered temp cutoff at 105°C and with punch pushed to level 3.
Even at 105°C I had no cutoff, seem good ! I lowered to see if I was close to the max temp or not !

Wheelies are possible at medium speed and motor (without fan) is at 50°C after 10 min "hard on the trigger and wheelings on road".

I think this is the sweet "reasonable" spot (for me at least). 😬

Hope this helps !

Battery side, my Zop power 7000 40C where drained to 3.9V and where luke warm.
Not bad, but I thing the O8 is too heavy for those lipos.

Do some of you have recommendation on "light weight" but capable batteries ?
Thanks !

Hi Sebcbien,

I find high-capacity lipo's almost a necessity for these heavy rigs, especially when you're upgrading motor/ESC.
I've tried 5000mAh a few times with the stock motor.
Since I put in a bigger motor I don't use them anymore. (5000mAh's get hot and puff quite fast)

Finding high-power and high-capacity lipo's is not that hard, Hobbystar has 9000mAh 100C's.
I'm enjoying the 11.000mAh G'Ace power-bricks.
Combining that with light weight however, that would be the holy grail IMO, those big lipo's are +900grams and not cheap.

See you're from Belgium too, where U located?

Hi ItAintAToy ! :giggle:
I'm from Rixensart and you ?
The Gen's Ace 11000 are almost 1Kg each ! :eek::eek: Don't you find this truck is already too heavy ? 😅
My "7000" Zop power are 540g each.
Of course they do not provide 7000mAh ... I measured them at 5000 🙃

Hi ItAintAToy ! :giggle:
I'm from Rixensart and you ?
The Gen's Ace 11000 are almost 1Kg each ! :eek::eek: Don't you find this truck is already too heavy ? 😅
My "7000" Zop power are 540g each.
Of course they do not provide 7000mAh ... I measured them at 5000 🙃
I´m from Beringen.
Let me know if you ever in the neigbourhood, you can give my lipos a try in your truck ;)

It does sure make a heavy truck even heavier, but my 800kV motor seems to come alive more compared to my smaller lipos and that compensates a lot. (that could also mean my 5000/8000mAh´s aren´t top quality :p)

Maybe 11000 is overkill with stock electronics, also don´t know if they fit the Outcast´s slightly shorter chassis compared to the Kraton.
I like em a lot but I get that they are not ideal for every build.

Have a look at CNHL batteries, I use the G+ 5000mAh 70c and my Outcast is a heavy beast 😉
My setup is TpPower 1054kv / Max5
This one ?
€ 70,32 49%OFF | CNHL Lipo 4S 14.8V Battery 5000mAh 70C G+Plus With XT90 Plug For RC Car Boat Part Helicopter Airplane Speedrun Truck Truggy
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqFMElz

Looks interesting indeed 👍

This one ?
€ 70,32 49%OFF | CNHL Lipo 4S 14.8V Battery 5000mAh 70C G+Plus With XT90 Plug For RC Car Boat Part Helicopter Airplane Speedrun Truck Truggy
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqFMElz

Looks interesting indeed 👍
Yep.. those are the ones 👍🏼
I know they do a 6000mAh version too, but they are a weird shape and don't fit the battery trays very well..!!

Also check their website as it's cheaper than AliExpress 👍🏼

Definitely get some better batteries. They were really holding me back when I first started messing with the k8s. The batteries I was running in my other cars fine were discharging too quickly and would get hellish hot, even hard to unplug. I know guys love those CNHL batteries, I run the PowerHobby 7500mah but not sure if they are easy to get where you live.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back