My Little Typhon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malice

Doing all kinds of messed up stuff.
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Typhon 6s
Good evening all!

I'm about to get a little further into speed running / parking lot running. I picked up a 6s Typhon a few weeks back and have been playing with it. I've been browsing this forum for some time and became fascinated by the speeds people have been able to achieve. As of this writing, I have no desired to go any faster than 90-100 on the ground. I began flying helicopters and airplanes back in the early 90s, and have flown/owned everything from Bergen Gasser Helis to Bob Violett turbine jets. My first rc car was a Kyosho Vanning followed by a Turbo Optima Mid SE and Turbo Ultima. I moved from air to ground, back to air, and back to ground so many times I've lost count. I ran large scare Quickdraw and Zenoah powers rc boats for a while too.

Alright... Enough of the babbling. After wearing my original tires down to slicks, I decided to start playing on the pavement as it's a lot easier than going to play in the dirt. Box stock on 6s with the 20T pinion 50T spur I was able to hit 70-72mph. Which was fast as hell considering my suspension was set for offroad and did not lend to running on the street that fast. Once i saw that, I decided to buy slicks and see what I could accomplish.

I ordered GRP S4 & S7 compounds. I live in central NC and it gets HOT & HUMID. <--- read that again. After PMing a member here, who lives in the same state, I was able to get some good information about tires, maintenance, etc. Coming from truing foams for 1/10 carpet racing back in the day I was ready to true up and balance my tires. Went off without a hitch. I had ordered a boat load of parts and began piecing my new speed demon together. When I say I ordered a bunch of stuff. I ordered a bunch of stuff. It's still showing up!!!!!

I started off with a 34T spur. I'm using a hot bodies spool for now. When fall / winter hits I will probably going into the shop an machine my own spool. (I own a bridgeport 3phase vertical mill, clausing lathe, harig surface grinder and haas cnc machine from my previous endeavors). I ordered 23,25,27,29,34 tooth pinions and waited. Finally, when all of my gearing showed up, I tested pinions / spur only to find out that a 27T was the smallest (that I owned) that would mate up to the 34T spur (I think 26 would work, but I don't own one).

I've got my front ride height at 17mm and the rear at 24mm. Stock front shocks and springs, 70wt oil in the front with 1-2 shock pistons. The rear also has stock shocks and springs, 70wt oil with 3 hole pistons (I made my own pistons with the included blanks from the Typhon box....i feel like the factory pistons have entirely too many holes in them). I've got limitless front and rear shock towers on the way, they should be here this week.

Yesterday, 7/24/20 85* fahrenheit. I threw in a 4s 50c lipo and went out to a little place about 8 minutes from the house. Made a few passes, never quite reaching full throttle. This thing is QUICK. I came to the realization very quickly that I needed more room. I walked down to the end of my spot, put my car on the curb and raaaaaaaaaaaaaaan all the way to the other end where the is a nice big ole sweeping right turn that I can bleed off speed (so I thought).

My car was so far away that it looked like an apple or a pear sitting on the side walk. It was very difficult to make out what it was. In the air i can go vertical. Not so much on the ground. I began my run and I remember saying to myself this thing is eating up the ground quickly. Truthfully, I thought I was wide open.......I wasnt. I pegged the throttle, she kept tracking straight and just went swooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh right past me. That's when I realized I didn't allow myself enough space to slow down, and I never increased the braking via the esc. I began to bend the corner and that's when it happened. Flat spinning around and around and around down the road we go. GPS flew out, bounced down the street (i thought the wing flew off), and the car headed straight for the only section of the curb that wasn't angled. I messed with the steering and tried to throw it in reverse managing to spin in around 180 and impacted the curb with the right rear tire. I picked up the GPS and and saw that I hit 68.1. I was ok with crashing and a smile came to my face.. 68.1 MPH on 4s was phenomenal to me, especially considering I feel I could have been a bit faster with more adequate space.

Bent the chassis, ripped 3 screws out of the rear diff housing, broke both bulkhead mounts (metal and plastic), broke the diff housing and a few other things. I've checked the two center shafts and the rear dog bones for runout using a dial indicator... all are good. $80 bucks later I've got more parts on the way. No upgrades, just replacements parts. Hopefully I'll be in a position to get her back together this week and get back out this weekend. I'm going to go to a different location, the one I should have went to to begin with and see how she does on 4s and 6s and go from there.

I don't have any before shots, but this is what is looked like after i removed 2 screws!!! hahahaha

2020-07-24.jpg

2020-07-24 (1).jpg

Man!!! Talk about turn around from Jenny's RC and others. Ordered all my parts on Friday and they arrived today! It's like Christmas in July. As I began to rummage through my presents, I realized that in my haste, I put the Limitless shocks in my cart and never actually ordered them. I'll be skipping the shock tower / shock swap for now. I've installed all new fast eddy sealed bearings, and went from a 34 to a 38 tooth. No real logic behind that as I didn't get much run time before I put it into the curb, but this time........this time will be different!!!!

One thing I noticed was the lack of braking. I attribute that to the tiny tiny tiny (compared to stock) spur gear that I was using (34T) and that I didn't adjust my brake setting on my BLX 185. While trying to find a set of hex drivers I purchased from MIP a hot minute ago, I found a Castle Mamba X! When I say found, I remembered purchasing it, but I completely forgot I had it. I bought it to go in my 1/12 Hemtt and for some reason never did. My main interest is the data logging feature and the ability to utilize a drag brake and have complete control over the braking. When I fry it, it will help me decide if I want to move to a larger castle or switch brands as a whole. Never owned one before.

I managed to get it all back together today and got my ride height back where I wanted it. 16mm/22mm (F/R). Now I'm just waiting on some 4mm and 6.5 mm plugs and away we go. I'm planning on starting with a 38T spur and the smallest pinion I can fit in the 20 tooth range. Between myself and my buddy, I'm pretty sure we have almost every pinion from 18 to 34, and he has some larger ones.

I want to give a shout out to @GMballistic. Thanks for the idea about the nuts on the droop screws. After looking a my chassis upon disassembly, you made the right call.

2020-07-27 (1).jpg

2020-07-27 (5).jpg

2020-07-27 (3).jpg

2020-07-27 (4).jpg

G8X8MUD.jpg

As luck would have it my bullet connectors won't be in until August 3. I'm a bit disappointed by that but it gave me an opportunity. I pulled the X out and re-installed the BLX. Around 2am this morning with our oh so cool 78* weather, I decided to see what it would do on 3s with that 27/38 gear combo. She put down a solid 51.3 mph but was very hesitant to get moving. This morning 9:00am after going to the hardware store to stock up on M4X14 cap head screw for the motor mount, I grabbed 2 3s batteries and went out to this little nifty location.

New personal best for me since last time I crashed? How does that work? 92.6MPH! I was excited. What I find truly astonishing is how much power these things still have at that speed. Hovering a brushless biplane is one thing, but to break traction like that when these tires feel like glue is just bad assery. I could very easily, intentionally and accidentally throw the rear end out (100k,spook,30k) and these little pebbles that are sticking to my tires have got me laughing!!! I feel a strong gravitational pull on my back right pocket.... hmmmm

erromp.jpg

2020-07-28 (2).jpg

2020-07-28 (1).jpg

2020-07-28.jpg

Been a bit of slow going here for a while. Last outing I ran over a snake that decided to slither across the road. Minimal damage, but I did have to remove the front end. I went ahead and ordered the shocks for the limitless and while I wait for them to be delivered I've gone ahead and installed them. Any suggestions from anyone as to where I should start on the fluid? They should be in tomorrow.

Prior to hitting the snake (days leading up to), my PB was and still remains 93.7MPH. I feel like there is more to be had, but my ESC continued to cut out. I was running 27P/34S. I grabbed a Mamba Monster X 8S and as soon as my parts show up i'm going to head back out and see where I land.

Once I hit triples, assuming I do...I'm planning on using a drone and other cameras to record my run.
People were not joking about these short power wires!!!

20200806_154513[1221].jpg

937typhon.jpg

Been a bit of slow going here for a while. Last outing I ran over a snake that decided to slither across the road. Minimal damage, but I did have to remove the front end. I went ahead and ordered the shocks for the limitless and while I wait for them to be delivered I've gone ahead and installed them. Any suggestions from anyone as to where I should start on the fluid? They should be in tomorrow.

Prior to hitting the snake (days leading up to), my PB was and still remains 93.7MPH. I feel like there is more to be had, but my ESC continued to cut out. I was running 27P/34S. I grabbed a Mamba Monster X 8S and as soon as my parts show up i'm going to head back out and see where I land.

Once I hit triples, assuming I do...I'm planning on using a drone and other cameras to record my run.
The MMX8S will get you over 100 for sure. Looking forward to seeing your new PB ✊?

ugh... that should have said i've gone ahead and installed the towers.

Can't wait to see what you do with the MMX8s. Be sure to check out the fan screws proximity to the caps and possibly add a spacer to the cover as there have been some issues with the blades hitting the cover. (less so for speed runners)

zoom zoom

Phillip Jolley Lives in NC also btw

Can't wait to see what you do with the MMX8s. Be sure to check out the fan screws proximity to the caps and possibly add a spacer to the cover as there have been some issues with the blades hitting the cover. (less so for speed runners)

zoom zoom

Phillip Jolley Lives in NC also btw

I thought one of the roads I saw in his videos looked familiar. Good to know North Carolina is still on the map!

As luck would have it everything is back together and BAM. I realize one of my swaybar adjusters is also broken. Just ordered some that should arrive early next week. It's a race. I say that because I just bought a Limitless which is also scheduled to be here next week. My plan with the Limitless to to make it a parking lot thrasher. I'm going to put the spool from the Limitless in the Typhon and the original 50T spur center differential in the Limitless and go from there. 120 is my goal with the Typhon and from there it will be going in a Deltaplatik Mustang GT body painted to match one of mine. And while that mustang is no snake, I promise it will bite you.......:devilish:

After attaching the Limitless shocks to the Typhon I immediately noticed how stiff they were. Sweet Jesus I don't think i'll be bottoming out any time soon. I've put 40wt in the front and 60wt in back. 4.73mm of preload on the rears and 2.43 on the front. The rear sits at 20mm and the front at 14mm. I'm digging the stance. Had to make some camber adjustments big time, but I think all is well. Well it will be when Fedex Home delivery shows up with my graphenes that I ordered from Hobby King in the early 80s or so it feels like.

Ordered another Mamba X 8S and 1717 1650 for the Limitless!!!!

20200808_172138.jpg

20200808_172331.jpg

DSC_1287.jpg

DPLASTIKMG.jpg

17171650.jpg

Last edited:
Waiting for parts to show up I decided I was going to wire up a cap pack. I scoured the net for about 3/10ths of a second and found some nice Panasonic FM Low Impedance, Low ESR 1800uf 35v caps. Supposedly they'll last up to 7k hours @ 105c. I figured that was good enough for my purposes. I ordered 12 of them thinking I would make a pack for both vehicles. I've had to remove the radio box to fit all 6 caps in the Typhon. I am happy where they sit and they're wired to the esc as close as I can humanly get them. Just got a text from Fedex that my Limitless will be here tomorrow. I shall not sleep tonight :giggle: My other Mamba X 8S is slated to arrive along with his lil buddy the 1717 on Friday. I plan on putting the 1717 in the Typhon and the BLX in the Limitless. The radio box will be relocated to the top of the diff cover.

20200811_180305.jpg

20200811_182305.jpg

20200811_211438.jpg

Thanks to RPPHOBBY and FedEX my Limitless showed up today! I've replaced the oil in the shocks, front / rear diff, removed the spool, threw in a 50t differential, replaced the tires with GRP S4 compound, and trimmed out the back of the body to let air flow through. The only other thing I did was to remove that drivers side battery tray. I'm going to be running a single 4s or a single 6s so no need for it. It allowed me to free up space for my cap pack that I'm going to put in it and for the Mamba X 8S that I'm going to drop in. Since this is just a parking lot thrasher, the BLX 2050 motor from the Typhon will power it along with a 23t pinion gear for now.

I can't believe I just put it in the closet. When the new esc and motor show up Friday, ill install it, and the immediately put it back in the closet. I've got to hit 120 with the Typhon before I allow myself to play with the limitless. Lastly, I peeled all the big arse arrma stickers off. Aside from drive, wreck, rebuild, and drive...what should I do to my limitless?

20200812_154838.jpg

20200812_155634.jpg

20200812_175530.jpg

20200812_154652.jpg

20200812_183323 (1).jpg

Thanks to RPPHOBBY and FedEX my Limitless showed up today! I've replaced the oil in the shocks, front / rear diff, removed the spool, threw in a 50t differential, replaced the tires with GRP S4 compound, and trimmed out the back of the body to let air flow through. The only other thing I did was to remove that drivers side battery tray. I'm going to be running a single 4s or a single 6s so no need for it. It allowed me to free up space for my cap pack that I'm going to put in it and for the Mamba X 8S that I'm going to drop in. Since this is just a parking lot thrasher, the BLX 2050 motor from the Typhon will power it along with a 23t pinion gear for now.

I can't believe I just put it in the closet. When the new esc and motor show up Friday, ill install it, and the immediately put it back in the closet. I've got to hit 120 with the Typhon before I allow myself to play with the limitless. Lastly, I peeled all the big arse arrma stickers off. Aside from drive, wreck, rebuild, and drive...what should I do to my limitless?

Lol probably the first thing I did with my Limitless was take off the huge Arrma stickers on the sides

Michael's RC Hobby shop sent me the wrong ESC.. nooooooooooooooooo.. All is good, they were very very quick to rectify the situation no questions asked. I even tried to send this standard Mamba X 6S they sent me back today but they insisted I wait until the correct ESC arrive and use the return label inside the box. You cannot beat that. I'm thoroughly happy with their customer service.

That being said, the 1717 1650KV did arrive today and this thing is big. Took me a few tries to convince myself I was going to run the same gear ratio, because now looking at all the time and energy I just poured into it I'm almost afraid to crash it again. I put the 27T on, then I took it off, then I put the 34 on, then I took it off...finally i decided on 29. So as it stands i'm running 100k fluid in the front 34T spool I stole out of my Limitless with a 29t pinion and 100k fluid in the back. I'm going to baby step my way up as I know from experience the braking on this esc is far superior to that of the BLX. I've got my drag brake set to 20% maximum braking set to 50% and everything else is fairly normal. I'm charging up a 4s Panther Graphene right now. I don't know that I will be making any passes today but i'm going to tool around the neighborhood for a bit to see how she handles. I've done a lot of tweaking and changing of things since jake the snake and myself crossed paths. I will eventually do a 4s speed run..like a legit one, and then a 6s speed run sometime further down the road( I say this knowing i'll be outside at 2am in the middle of the highway running like a fool)... I have a bit of hesitation for some reason about picking back up right where I left off. Money aside, you can't take it with you, but I've read a lot of things about this 1717 motor. I was half tempted to put it in the limitless, but since the wrong esc show up, and I told myself i wasn't going to run the limitless until I hit 120 on the Typhon..................it played out how it was supposed to.

I also picked up a 29t spool gear just in case......

20200814_152546.jpg

20200814_152617.jpg

20200814_164718.jpg

Last edited:
That lie was short lived. Ran around the neighborhood on 3s and I have to say this thing handles like a DREAM!!!! S7 compound tires 84 degrees 74% humidity were goey/tacky. I did a few full pulls. First thing I immediately noticed is that I should have never used punch control. I can accelerate so much quicker without spinning the wheels without it. 69.2 on 4S Turnigy 5000Mah Graphene 29/34 gearing. Here is a screen shot of my first data log. Truthfully it's going to take me a bit to decipher it. I will say that I think this 29 tooth pinion is a little on the small side. for this motor for what i'm doing or how I'm driving. I could be wrong but from 3/4 on I felt like I could sling this thing by lighting up all 4 tires at once.

20200814_181932.jpg

14 AUGUST 2020 29-34 4S 1717 1650KV.jpg

Last edited:
Riddle me this. That first graph indicates a two pole motor. I went into the castle logging software and entered my pinion/spur (29/34) 1650kv and 4 Poles. How do I set this thing up to give the most accurate results?

any thoughts?

14 AUGUST 2020 29-34 4S 1717 1650KV GEARING UPDATED IN CASTLE.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back